Prediction Your 2020 Best 22 (Post Trade Period)

Remove this Banner Ad

It always starts like that and ends up like............

Give us Brisbanes injury run from last year and continuity in the group and it will show us up much better than for any perceived depth.......over to you Jack.
I was thinking the same thing as I typed and very nearly aborted the post in case I angered the injury gods..

Dow could take LOB's role, rather than Gibbons. No doubt Dow is a consideration, but unless they allow him to hunt the footy, he is not versatile enough to be a resting forward, unlike Gibbons

Gibbons is a guy I want on the list for 5 years to play 10 games a year as depth.

He has some serious limitations

If he's in your best 22 we are in trouble

Im on board with your best 22 but disagree with Dow vs Gibbons and marchbank vs Plow

Gibbons is a guy I want on the list for 5 years to play 10 games a year as depth.

Im on board with your best 22 but disagree with Dow vs Gibbons and marchbank vs Plow

Strange isn't it, Gibbons had a limited preseason, as he was taken in February 2019, yet many think he has no/limited improvement. Dow will make it, just needs to improve a couple of areas.

Plowman came 3rd in our BNF, he wont make way for Marchbank

Last edited:

The 'more talented' don't necessarily make for the most required, in a teams make-up.
Gibbons's pestiness and harassment, along with his ball winning abilities may still be required more than O'Briens left leg, or Dows breakaway speed....for now.

I rarely put Gibbons into my best 22 for the talent he is, but for types we require on-field.
That's also why I feel we'll see Stocker sooner than later. He's a (as was described by Brodie).....a brute

Dow could take LOB's role, rather than Gibbons. No doubt Dow is a consideration, but unless they allow him to hunt the footy, he is not versatile enough to be a resting forward, unlike Gibbons

Exactly. I think we sometimes just want to see the most talented players on the field, which is understandable but it doesn't always make for the best end product and especially so if types can't slot into their preferred posts.

Playing in the backline as we've asked midfielder-SPS to do, is much easier than asking a midfielder to become an offensive weapon in the forward line.
I don't even like us having to play Fisher forward as it diminishes his effectiveness, but we can't have all our mids playing midfield at the one time.

I feel that the first 5 to 6 genuine midfielders will find a way to get a game every week and the others may just have to come in as required.
There is little way that for now Cripps, Setterfield, Walsh, Fisher, Kennedy, SPS, Dow, Murphy, ECurnow, Gibbons and then O'Brien and Cuningham can co-exist.
I just don't see how and placing four of that lot on the bench doesn't 'fix' things. We need flexibility to cover all areas.

Good chats guys

Looking at last years list, and the year before that is so encouraging for what we have now.

Thinking of kerridge and mullet and O’Shea and Shaw et al seems like aeons ago.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Best 22, not best 22 players...

Def- Doc, Weiters, Jones, Plow, Newman, SPS

Mids- Kreuz, Crippa, Walsh, Murph, Setters, Cunningham

Fwd- Harry, Charlie (Levi rd1), Eddie, Gov, JSOS, Martin

Bench- Simmo, Newnes, Stocker (or Ed if specific lock down req), Fisher

* Bench is defensive minded with players who can add flexibility also in the mid field; Fisher, Newnes and Stocker also in the mid rotations
* Also in the mix are Levi, Dow, Marchy, Gibbo, Ed, Willo

Best 22, not best 22 players...

Def- Doc, Weiters, Jones, Plow, Newman, SPS

Mids- Kreuz, Crippa, Walsh, Murph, Setters, Cunningham

Fwd- Harry, Charlie (Levi rd1), Eddie, Gov, JSOS, Martin

Bench- Simmo, Newnes, Stocker (or Ed if specific lock down req), Fisher

* Bench is defensive minded with players who can add flexibility also in the mid field; Fisher, Newnes and Stocker also in the mid rotations
* Also in the mix are Levi, Dow, Marchy, Gibbo, Ed, Willo

It is very hard to see Ed not playing every week if fit.

Struggled early due to being played out of position, but he had a phenomenal second half of the year in the middle of the ground.

He's still a very important part of our midfield.

It is very hard to see Ed not playing every week if fit.

Struggled early due to being played out of position, but he had a phenomenal second half of the year in the middle of the ground.

He's still a very important part of our midfield.
Absolutely agree, but as with Simmo and Murph, they have to be replaced if we are to really go forward, Stocker, SPS and Willo the next gen. Going forward we will be the hunters, wont need a negating slow mid....

Absolutely agree, but as with Simmo and Murph, they have to be replaced if we are to really go forward, Stocker, SPS and Willo the next gen. Going forward we will be the hunters, wont need a negating slow mid....

Sure all three will need to be replaced in due course, but all three showed in 2019 (particularly once Teague took over) that they are still hugely important to our on field fortunes.

Ed may be the lesser of that trio, but I'm guessing he'll be the last of them to be displaced from the senior side. Has a lot more to his game than just a "negating slow mid" too - he's a very good inside mid in his own right.

Plowman Jones Simpson

Docherty Weitering Newman

Walsh Setterfield Murphy

Martin McKay Kennedy

Betts Curnow McGovern

Kreuzer Cripps Curnow

Fisher Cuningham SPS Marchbank

Particular apologies to Jack and Willo. The former could easily take Kennedy’s spot of HF.

Not bad given also no room for Dow, OBrien, Newnes etc. Backline might lack a bit of zip...

This is also the first year I c an remember where we didn’t haveto immediately chalk up our first round draft pick as best 22.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think willo will be in best 22 in 2020 and maybe even in R1. If fit there is no doubt in my mind he is in group of first 6 defenders.

100% agree

His kicking is fantastic

In the current back 6 only Weiters is a good long kick, Williamson in for me and to take the kick ins

Given a 3rd of our best 22 are 28+, Simmo, Murph, Ed, Krooz, Levi, Jones, Betts, more interested in the transition to youth
I reckon we have our younger replacement already in place:
Simmo- Williamson
Murph- Stocker
Ed- Kemp/Philip
Krooz- TDK
Levi- Harry (already)
Jones- Marchbank(but reckon Liam has at least 4 years left0
Eddie- Recruit through free agency eg Paply, Nesham, Thomas(Collingwood), De Goey(throw the bank at him), by this time we will be more than just a destination club, we will be genuine contenders so "build it they will come"

I reckon we have our younger replacement already in place:
Simmo- Williamson
Murph- Stocker
Ed- Kemp/Philip
Krooz- TDK
Levi- Harry (already)
Jones- Marchbank(but reckon Liam has at least 4 years left0
Eddie- Recruit through free agency eg Paply, Nesham, Thomas(Collingwood), De Goey(throw the bank at him), by this time we will be more than just a destination club, we will be genuine contenders so "build it they will come"

Marchbank is and never will be a KPD, perhaps Macreadie or BSOS will fill the role in time.

There’s a lot of faith in Williamson. Gee he’s barely been able to get onto the park with what has seemed to be a debilitating back injury, unproven to boot. (Could say the same about Cuningham minus the debilitating part) Don’t mind the look of him if all stars align but is it not a bit early for best 22?

My crack (Im bullish on you guys this year and id have you even money with us to finish higher on the ladder)

B: Plowman - L.Jones - Newman
HB: Docherty - Weitering - SPS (K.Simpson)
C: Newnes - Walsh - M.Murphy (Z.Fisher)
HF: J.Martin - C.Curnow - M.Gibbons (Cunningham)
F: Mcgovern - Mckay - Betts
R: Kreuzer - Cripps - Ed Curnow (Setterfield)

B: K.Simpson, Z.Fisher, Setterfield, Cunningham

Emg: Dow

Jack Martin - Huge pickup especially at zero price. Ive always been a huge fan of his. Hes one of the most talented players to come out of WA and he has everything. I think a few thought he might not be tough enough for AFL but hes super hard edged. His endurance would be his weakness but everything else is quality. His best footy is ahead of him and ive always picked him in fantasy because ive rated so highly.

Dow - I think its almost time where its better for his development to play onball in the VFL for a solid stint rather than being a half forward at AFL level. When i saw him in his first pre season games i thought he was going to be amazing and hasnt kicked on but i believe he can

Newnes - Also a huge fan. Absolute value and hes probably edging out LOB early and thats okay. See what Newnes can do as a genuine wingman for you guys. I picked him in fantasy last year from the start and his first 6 weeks he didnt go below 23 disposals for Stkilda. Then they were doing so poorly so they threw him around to half forward then to half back. Id love to see the running races between LOB, Newnes, Walsh, Ed Curnow and whos winning them over 2kms

Gibbons - Huge fan of his. I was a shorter player myself so love seeing guys small do well. But hes just so balanced and clever on both feet. Creates opportunities. Again like Newnes is play both early and see how you go on the wins/losses and if its not working then turn to the kids more like Dow, LOB ect Hes best 18 for me, not just best 22.
----------------------------------------------------------------------

On a side note. I read Murphy was playing more forward in match sim is this true? If so for a fantasy perspective id be interested if thats the case

interested in that avatar, DirtyLeeds.............
Its a charity I founded five years ago in response to my best mate's suicide. Five sold out breakfasts later, $200K raised to educate boys who's das
d's have a mental health issue (at St Pats Ballarat) over a dozen families supported. Frawley, an old school mate of ours was to be last years key note......
We hold it in Mental Health week each October, has led me to be on the national Suicide Prevention Foundation Board, massive problem but there is some light.
Word of advice keep an eye on your mates, you can help.
Have secured Tom Boyd for this year's event.

Last edited:
Its a charity I founded five years ago in response to my best mate's suicide. Five sold out breakfasts later, $200K raised to educate boys (at St Pats Ballarat) over a dozen families supported. Frawley, an old school mate of ours was to be last years key note......
We hold it in Mental Health week each October, has led me to be on the national Suicide Prevention Foundation Board, massive problem but there is some light.
Word of advice keep an eye on your mates, you can help.

Deadset quality mate.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back