Prediction Your 2020 Best 22 (Post Trade Period)

Remove this Banner Ad

2020 needs to be the year the next generation takes over. I'll be happy to see Casboult and Ed playing in the VFL not because they have poor form but because the younger players have over taken them. Possibly Simpson and Murphy too.

If this happens, either those 4 have fallen off a cliff, or we are playing finals.

If this happens, either those 4 have fallen off a cliff, or we are playing finals.

Guys like Dow and O'Brien were pretty regular best 22 as first and second year players

Now they are no certainty as 3rd year players

There won't be any passengers this year like previous

Barring a host of injuries none of our first years players with get a game, years gone by they've been walk up starts

We've got decent cover for every player except Cripps

We are playing finals this year

I'm talking about the younger players stepping up and pushing them out of the side.

With Casboult
If Jones, Weitering, Plowman, Marchbank, McKay, Curnow and McGovern are all fit and in form where does he fit?

Ed
If Stocker, Kennedy, Setterfield and Dow are playing the inside midfield role and in form and if JSOS is playing as a tagger. Where does Ed fit?

Simpson
If Newman, SPS, Docherty and Williamson are all fit and in good form. Why can't Simpson play in the VFL?

Murphy is least likely to be pushed out of the side. But could be.

I'm not saying the older player will be out of form. They have been champions of our club and im not trying to disrepect them but We need to replace them at point and I think if the younger players are in form, then why not do it in season when you have the older players still there if we need them.

Guys like Dow and O'Brien were pretty regular best 22 as first and second year players

Now they are no certainty as 3rd year players

There won't be any passengers this year like previous

Barring a host of injuries none of our first years players with get a game, years gone by they've been walk up starts

We've got decent cover for every player except Cripps

We are playing finals this year

This is what strikes me about the task of picking a "best 22"this year. It's not that it is harder, there are always close calls to be made, it is that the bar is higher. Players who in past years I would be including in the hope/expectation they have improved, or notwithstanding their limitations are now being left out until they prove themselves.

As for Ed, Cas and Slimmo the youngsters are there to push for their spots. Cas has the advantage of being a more capable ruck than any of those competing for his spot and that might get him in the team. Ed's gut running and ability to shut down an opponent is a combination that perhaps the young'uns don't have and might see him in the side for a fair while at least. And Slimmo's experience is I think invaluable down back albeit that if Docherty cements a spot back there he will run the show.

Best 23 year old and under team -

Williamson Weitering Stocker
SPS Marchbank Cottrell

TDK Setterfield Dow
Fisher Walsh O'Brien

Cuningham CCurnow Kennedy
JSilvagni McKay Honey

Kemp Philp Macreadie Polson

Not too bad at all.
It is an impressive list. And a best 25 years and under team would be really impressive starting with Cripps. I am so excited about years ahead...

It is an impressive list. And a best 25 years and under team would be really impressive starting with Cripps. I am so excited about years ahead...

There's certainly a platform there for sustained success. That's undeniable (almost undeniable)

At this stage I feel it may have more to do with coaching than acquiring further personnel, which we'll do as a matter of course anyway.
Quality coaching and please.....unity. Ununified clubs become disorganised clubs.

Whats your best 22 seniors rd1?

It's changing all the time and I think I dropped that possible starting 22 just the other day, with Gibbons and Stocker included.
All subject to change over the coming months and no doubt it will.

Based on where I think the players will be at in their development next year

Marchbank Jones Simpson
Casboult Weitering Docherty
O‘Brien Cripps Dow
Mckay McGovern Murphy
Martin Curnow Betts
Kreuzer SPS Walsh

Plowman Setterfield Silvagni Curnow

Rotation: Newman, Stocker, Fisher, Williamson, Kemp, Phlips, Cuningham, Kennedy, Newnes.

Non Rotation players: Cripps, Doc, Weitering, Jones, McKay, Betts, Walsh, Setterfield, Curnow.

Murphy is dangerous at half forward, I prefer Marchbank when in form to Plowman, Simpson prefered to Newman because of his dash, O’Brien and Dow will deliver in spades this year and will start in the line up to boost their confidence...Setterfield plays every week.

SPS Marchbank Cottrell

TDK Setterfield Dow
Fisher Walsh O'Brien

JSilvagni McKay Honey

Not too bad at all.
and to think a lot of the kids are in our "best" 22. obvious pros and cons to that, but hey im a glass half full kind of guy.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm talking about the younger players stepping up and pushing them out of the side.

I know, and I'm saying that'll require a massive jump from a few of our younger players, given how important some of those senior bodies have been for us.

The kids will make up some ground but the older guys won't be overtaken completely next season. Hence my statement that if they do, either the older players have gone down with injury, or we're certainly playing finals such would be the rapid improvement shown by a bunch of kids.

which of our players are likely to compete for plowmans role/position.

I thought the second half of the season saw Plowman really start to solidify his place in the team.
He tightened up his game, made better decisions and delivered better with a lot less of the brainfades.
Docherty returning will only help him further develop.

SPS Jones Plowman
Docherty Weitering Williamson

Simpson will be floating in defence as well.
Newman is reportedly having a good pre season and of course Marchbank remains the wildcard ...

I thought the second half of the season saw Plowman really start to solidify his place in the team.
He tightened up his game, made better decisions and delivered better with a lot less of the brainfades.
Docherty returning will only help him further develop.

SPS Jones Plowman
Docherty Weitering Williamson

Simpson will be floating in defence as well.
Newman is reportedly having a good pre season and of course Marchbank remains the wildcard ...

With Docherty, Marchbank and Williamson all still coming back from injury and not back to full training yet. Docherty for me is the only one I think will come straight into the side. The other two I think will comeback throw the VFL.

Come round 1 both Plowman and Newman will have the opportunity to hold there spots in the side.

SPS Marchbank Cottrell

TDK Setterfield Dow
Fisher Walsh O'Brien

JSilvagni McKay Honey

Not too bad at all.
Wow, bloody subjective.
Omitting Pittonet, Goddard, Ben Silvagni, O'Dwyer, Owies, Ramsay, Phillips.

Can understand some calls, but some very "unlucky" names, especially Pitto who doesn't turn 24 until June. Goddard would be a lock moving
Marchy to 3rd tall and BSOS ultra stiff. Don't like Owies left out, but admittedly has some opposition. I like both Ramsay and Phillips but a toss up
with the first years (would not name LTI Kemp)

Admittedly not a lot easier than naming overall best 22.

If pressed for this category.

Williamson Weitering Marchbank
SPS Goddard Cottrell
Pittonet Setterfield Stocker
Walsh Dow O'Brien
Cuningham McKay Fisher
JSOS C.Curnow Kennedy

TDK BSOS Philp (Polson/Owies/Macreadie/Honey/Ramsay/Phillips/O'Dwyer)
Kemp LTI

On 2019, BSOS>Macreadie. TDK stiff to start on bench. Close fight for last interchange. HMac would get it on ability, but not on team balance. Don't like giving Finbar "bottom billing" as he has shown glimpses and has time, (albeit not too much) but probably appropriate, which is an indirect vote of confidence for the new kids.

Thoughts on the team for round 1, which gives us the best chance of winning?

Richmond will likely play

Forward line:
2 talls (Riewolt, Lynch) which Weitering and L Jones will cover.
1 medium tall (Caddy) . Plowman
3 smalls (Castagna, Rioli, Pickett) . Docherty, Simpson, Newman

Midline:
Edwards, Martin, Bolton. Newnes, Cripps, Samo
Nankervis. Prestia. Cotchin . Kreuzer, Walsh, E Curnow

Our fowardline:
Martin Casboult Gibbons Covered by Astbury, Grimes, Valstuin, Houli, Baker, Short
Mcgovern JSilvangi Betts

Interchange:
Murphy Dow Fisher Setterfield (Broad, Graham, McIntosh, Soldo)

I don't see Harry McKay and Charlie Curnow playing round 1. Too injured.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back