Your favourite Cats memory at Subi?

Remove this Banner Ad

Sep 24, 2008
MuMuLand
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Celtic, West Perth, Glory, S'Roos
This (barring some disaster) should be our final ever game at Subiaco Oval tomorrow night and there have been some moments for us at the dilapidated old s**t hole.

We actually have a winning record there with 18 wins and 15 losses against the Eagles and Dockers over 33 games and 30 years.

Ablett's masterclass in 1992 was something, as was Ronnie Burns' five goals in 2001 but to me it has to be...

My Eagles supporting brother had to sit next to the Geelong cheersquad with me copping it all night. He and some other Eagles thankfully saw the funny side of how ridiculously good we were and how dog s**t they were. Was a record loss at the venue for the Eagles too.

Was Malcolm Blight standing on a table coaching in 1993 at Subi?

If so put me down for that one. :D

Also what a ****ing awesome win.
And what a ****ing shithouse way to miss the finals on %.

Edit: never mind was the WACA

Last edited:

This (barring some disaster) should be our final ever game at Subiaco Oval tomorrow night and there have been some moments for us at the dilapidated old s**t hole.

You are not wrong. I went over there- 2010 I think, to see us lose by 7 points to Freo. I think we were top level of the stand to the "right of screen" and if you wanted food or the toilet, you actually had to go to another level.

At half time my host moved us to a better area.

Was Malcolm Blight standing on a table coaching in 1993 at Subi?

If so put me down for that one. :D

Also what a ****ing awesome win.
And what a ****ing shithouse way to miss the finals on %.

Edit: never mind was the WACA

Yup was the WACA. Had some ding dong battles there too including losing by a point(?) in 1991. I hate going to Subi because of the fans more than anything. Facilities don't really phase me as I don't drink at the that place anyway.

Yup was the WACA. Had some ding dong battles there too including losing by a point(?) in 1991. I hate going to Subi because of the fans more than anything. Facilities don't really phase me as I don't drink at the that place anyway.

I wouldn't know, didn't start following Geelong until 1993.

I know the eras are completely different, but I found the Freo fans to be pretty good. Complete ****ing whingers and 1-eyed yes, but still ok, didn't get hassled or anything being a Geelong fan.

The only time I ever came to a physical confrontation was at a Freo game in 2008 when Pav hit the post and we won by less than a goal. Some mouth breather from the burbs wanted to take me outside just for wearing a Geelong scarf in front of families and the like. This was just as we were walking outside so I offered to take him up on his offer but he slunk off in to the crowd telling me to * off as he walked fists clenched. Hope some other poor bastard didn't cop it.

Not a favourite, but one of the earlier games I can remember clear as day was vs Freo at Subi in 1999. I was only 10, and is probably the first game I can remember in full.

I was at a friends place watching it. We came out of the blocks firing and kicked 6.4 to 1.3 in the first term, and held a 3-4 goal lead up until 3/4 time.

I had to leave my friends house at 3/4, and got back home to turn the TV on (was a FTA game) to see us down by 2 goals. They ended up kicking 7 goals to 2 in the final term and pipping us by about 3 goals.

Either Simon Arnott or Scott Bamford (my two favourite players that year) had an ancre of space and was running towards 50 for a shot at goal but got ran down when we were kicking to the right of screen. I think it was Simon Arnott.

EDIT:
http://finalsiren.com/MatchDetails.asp?GameID=582&Code=3791f0852d442084e93038a3253a1dd4

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Ablett's masterclass in 1992.

I was at that game - it was an absolute demolition by Gaz.

Even more surprising was that Stephen Handley was probably second best on ground if I remember correctly. I remember walking out of that game thinking that if Stephen Handley is tearing WC apart, that it might just be our year. Unfortunately I was mistaken....

My favourite Subi moment was as a very young tacker, would have been mid 80's. West Perth playing East Freo back in the days when Subi hosted the WAFL match of the round, East Freo had won the first 11 (or so) games of the season. WP had lead all day and were in front by less than a goal very late in the last qtr. East Freo went forward and John Duckworth almost decapitated a very young Chris Mainwaring about 30 metres out from goal, almost directly in front. He gets paid a free kick and the siren goes, he now has a shot after the siren to try and win the game.

These were the days when as soon as the siren went the crowd ran on the field, so as soon as we heard the siren we jumped the fence and ran on the field. By the time Mainwaring had his shot for goal, I was standing in the centre circle...Mainwaring misses the shot, WP win and jubilation ensues. Good times, and will never be repeated given crowd security changes. When I went to school on Monday morning I was the toast of the playground because my mates had seen me on the tv. My best Subi memory without a doubt.

Bomber eating a sandwich.
Haven't got that many great memories of Subi, mostly bad actually.
But as Shell said I remember that game at the WACA. Gazza got slammed into the goal post and we came back and won. Was a great game.

135 point win that game......a repeat would be nice

Bomber's sandwich has probably got to be mine, but i did love Pavlich's kick to win the game hitting the post :)

Ablett's masterclass in 1992.

IIRC, that was the week either Couch or Hocking twisted their ankle having a kick-to-kick with some kids during their 'day job' of being a garbo, which is why Gaz was playing in the guts.

I've been to Subi twice, both times v the Frockers.

The first time was Anzac Day 2004 and it was about 35 degrees. Troy Simmonds played like Paul Salmon incarnate and we lost by a few goals.

Returned in 2011 to witness a memorable win with 5-gamer Dan Menzel bagging a few goals. I was a lone blue and white nutcase shouting us on in a sea of purple. :D

The first time was Anzac Day 2004 and it was about 35 degrees. Troy Simmonds played like Paul Salmon incarnate and we lost by a few goals.

Returned in 2011 to witness a memorable win with 5-gamer Dan Menzel bagging a few goals. I was a lone blue and white nutcase shouting us on in a sea of purple. :D
I was going to say Matty Stokes kicking the winner in that 2011 game is my favourite Subi memory, as I proceeded to celebrate in any extremely embarrassing Lleyton Hewitt-esque way at the Ainslie Footy Club bar.

That was round 1 or two I remember. First Dockers v cats game I went to was in 1997 near the end of the season. Was a great day up on the terracing as we went in to the finals with a heap of momentum.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back