Zach Tuohy is due to tie Jim Stynes' Irish games record in round 15 against the Demons

Remove this Banner Ad

GC2015

Norm Smith Medallist
May 27, 2013
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Jim Stynes played 264 games in the AFL for the Dees and Zach Tuohy currently sits on 253 games - 120 Carlton, 133 Geelong. As fate would have it (probably intentional) Geelong play Melbourne at Kardinia Park in round 15 and Tuohy will tie Stynes' AFL games record should he play every game between now and then. Pretty remarkable achievement for any player, let alone an Irishman and the question has to be asked - will Tuohy be the first Irish player to reach 300 AFL games?

Outstanding stuff.

Maybe one more season in him after this.
300 he may struggle to get to but would be fun if he made it.
Surprised Tadgh Kennelly had not played more games than him.

Maybe one more season in him after this.
300 he may struggle to get to but would be fun if he made it.
Surprised Tadgh Kennelly had not played more games than him.
Nah i don't think so. Going to do well to get games this year as it is with his age and a backline with Duncan, kolo, Bowes, MOC,etc. any drop of form will see him out the side, unfortunately.

Never been the best one-on-one defender but he has been an effective attacking defender. A booming kick.
Have always been happy with this trade.

Smedts just never cut it. Another Stephen Wells special.

Never been the best one-on-one defender but he has been an effective attacking defender. A booming kick.

It was Smedts and a small pick downgrade from memory?

I remember SOS at the time parlaying this pick and a bunch of others into a handful of retreads.

I think it was the GF where he was in the back pocket and did a quick hack around his body....and it went for like 50-60 metres...

It was Smedts and a small pick downgrade from memory?

I remember SOS at the time parlaying this pick and a bunch of others into a handful of retreads.

Pretty sure we coughed up a first rounder but we got their second rounder as part of the package.
Not even sure what ever happened to those picks.

I think it was the GF where he was in the back pocket and did a quick hack around his body....and it went for like 50-60 metres...

Whenever he marks 55-60 metres out, you know he's going back to take a ping. Built like a brick shizenhousen is old Tuohy.

Pretty sure we coughed up a first rounder but we got their second rounder as part of the package.
Not even sure what ever happened to those picks.

Whenever he marks 55-60 metres out, you know he's going back to take a ping. Built like a brick shizenhousen is old Tuohy.

The pick Geelong gave up ended up pick 16 in 2017. Carlton traded it for Caleb Marchbank and Jarrod Pickett. It then bounced twice more before Brisbane used it on Zac Bailey.

The pick Carlton gave back ended up being pick 22 in 2017. Geelong used this on Lachie Fogarty, who was later traded to Carlton.

At the time, I think Carlton genuinely wanted to give Zac a fair crack at success - he was 26 years old, and we looked like battling for a few more years. I think he would have been happy to stay had we wanted him, and there was money and opportunity available at Geelong, so it looked like a win/win situation.

In hindsight, he was exactly the sort of player Carlton should have held onto. No frills, tough, good leader, and more importantly, durable and reliable. Injuries to players across the list (including Marchbank and Pickett) have set us back time and again, and a reliable defender would have contributed enormously in a struggling team. Had we known Docherty would do his ACL twice there's no way we trade Touhy IMO, but hindsight is a wonderful thing.

Phenomenal effort by Touhy to play so long and so well - has made a wonderful career and it was great to see him get a premiership medal last year.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back