Who did well out of the trade/FA period?

Remove this Banner Ad

Other teams who clearly executed a strategy successfully were Sydney (some hiccoughs with the loss of Lamb), Hawthorn, Freo, Carlton, Richmond and especially St Kilda. Though as others have said in the Saints case, their drafting record is so patchy I'm not sure how much value they will get from their picks after 3.
I think you'll find that most of our poor drafting over the years Lyon was at the club in particular was done with a completely different recruiting team in place. I'm pretty sure all those terrible drafts for us were during that time. Suggesting that we might be poor with our drafting this year because of that would be akin to saying that Port will be poor on field next year because of how they went under Matthew Primus's coaching.

Pretty much everyone on our board seems to be extremely happy with what we've done with the picks we've had in the two draft periods since Pelchen, Tony Elshaugh and Ameet Bains took over their various roles, though, getting us the likes of Nathan Wright, Seb Ross, Jack Newnes, Spencer White, Jimmy Webster, Josh Saunders, Brodie Murdoch and Daniel Markworth with picks in the 24-45 range in those two drafts.

Every one of them has really shown something in the short time they've been at the club, especially for those taken in that 2nd-3rd round range, in compromised drafts. They look to be easily the best batch of "kids" that we've had for about 10 years (not that that's saying a lot!).

The fact that we've had so few delistings of anyone under 21 last year and this year shows how happy we are with the young ones we've gotten in recently, as does the fact that we only look like having 3 live picks in this year's draft. Very excited to see who we recruit this year. :thumbsu:

Darren Parkin (SEN and a Saints supporter) just named Collingwood as the best team this trade period, again for a second year running. The weight of evidence is compelling. I think we've found our number 1.

Darren Parkin (SEN and a Saints supporter) just named Collingwood as the best team this trade period, again for a second year running. The weight of evidence is compelling. I think we've found our number 1.
Well, Darren is an acceptable voice of reason, but Wallace is an egotistical list-building failure, so I'm pretty sure you'll need about ten more voices of reason to balance Terry Wallets out. :p

When you set out to get certain types and you get exactly what you want without selling the farm youve done well. StKilda set a target and acheived and then got the bonus of Longer. Clear winners.

When you set out to get certain types and you get exactly what you want without selling the farm youve done well. StKilda set a target and acheived and then got the bonus of Longer. Clear winners.

You can't seriously think you were a winner out of this trade period, sure getting Longer made the McEvoy trade look a little less stupid. But if you look at it objectively, you have traded a very good ruckman, who was just starting to hit his straps for an OK draft pick and an average player. You lost one of your best players, who still has a lot of good footy left in him for another average pick. You didn't address your real area of need, a key defender, unless Bruce comes good quickly. I would suggest St Kilda will be the big loser of the period, you are going to be absolutely useless next year and that's not going to help the development of the seemingly pretty good bunch of players you've picked up the last couple of years.

Typical Collingwood supporter.

Amid all the jerking off over Adams and picks 6 and 10, most of them completely disregard the fact they lost Shaw and Thomas and still expect to rise up the ladder and challenge next year.

give me a break.

A bit like Carlton supporters who expect to win the premiership with only one kpf whos 30 years of age.

You can't seriously think you were a winner out of this trade period, sure getting Longer made the McEvoy trade look a little less stupid. But if you look at it objectively, you have traded a very good ruckman, who was just starting to hit his straps for an OK draft pick and an average player. You lost one of your best players, who still has a lot of good footy left in him for another average pick. You didn't address your real area of need, a key defender, unless Bruce comes good quickly. I would suggest St Kilda will be the big loser of the period, you are going to be absolutely useless next year and that's not going to help the development of the seemingly pretty good bunch of players you've picked up the last couple of years.

It would be far to easy to make this post look stupid. You really arent trying if you think what you posted is correct.

What exactly isn't correct:

McEvoy isn't a good ruckman?
Pick 19 or whatever you got isn't average for McEvoy?
Savage isn't an average player?
NDS wasn't one of your best players?
You have enough Key Defenders?
You think you can rely on Bruce as a Key Defender next year?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The worry for St. Kilda is the draft has a major fallout post 10/11.

Fine they have Pick 3 but I'm not convinced 19 & the like will yield anything of substance.

You really are struggling here so I will help you. No we didnt have any key defenders thats why recruited a fullback and s CHB both we paid unders for. McEvoy we traded for two top 20 picks and a player that played 15 games for the premiers. Savage would walk into Ess best 22. Longer we got for a steal and covers the loss of Big Ben. Dal is 30 and while he us still a good player we have others that need game time in his role. Massive win this trade period.

Fine they have Pick 3 but I'm not convinced 19 & the like will yield anything of substance.

Thats funny the experts are saying after 5 its even until 20.

What does this mean for Brisbane, if that is the case?

Your examples aren't really in the correct context.

I can't remember any of Walker or Murphy missing 18 games in a season and then asking for a significant and unjustifiable pay increase that makes them the second highest player at their club.

Well Walker has had seasons where he's missed around 18 games due to injury so...yeah. You've gone off topic. I dont care about the pay increase or whatever. Ok maybe Collingwood did the right thing to get rid of them now.

My original point was that if Carlton lost 2 good senior players, i wouldnt be ecstatic and jumping for joy in getting Adams and pick 6. Fair trade and id be content, but not claiming Carlton had smashed every other team in the trade period.

I basically agree with you're saying, i.e. we have displayed good list management. We haven't smashed anything, and we didn't last year, either, but given the circumstances, I think we have dealt with the situation as well as possible. Last year, Wellingham was offered a contract, didn't accept it & decided he wanted to go home. We were able to trade a late 1st round pick for hi. Dawes decided he wanted a new start when it was suggested he was not guaranteed a game, and again, we traded in a late 1st round pick for him. We also took the "no risk" policy of getting in 3 experienced, and at worst "depth" players in Lynch, Young & Russell for nothing. Has it been a huge success - of course not. But we didn't sell the farm for them. Likewise, this year we have lost Thomas (the club was not prepared to pay what Carlton was offering, for reasons known to them - but not difficult to work out), while in Shaw I think there was such an element of frustration with his on (and off) field behaviour that it was decided we should try to trade him while he still had value. Not at all glad he is going, as I rate him highly, but pleased that we at least seem to have received a fair trade. With White & Karnezis, we have not given up much, and taken a punt on how they may end up with us, so I'm a bit "meh" with their acquisition - but not upset that we may have screwed up, because if they bomb, we have not given up too much to get them. So as a (I hope, reasonable) 'Pies supporter, I'm not over the moon at all the transactions that have taken place over the last couple of years, but I am happy with what the club has done given the circumstances. We'll see in a few years how it all pans out....

Definitely a reasonable view. What you have said in this post is accurate.

Saints fans are unfailingly optimistic. Luke Delaney and Josh Bruce are now champion defenders.

The draft is largely based on opinion. I believe the pies wanted to trade up because they didn't see pick 10 and 11 becoming as good as they have in previous drafts. Others, like Pelchen, think the draft has quality up to about 20.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back