Opinion Roughy needs to do more..

Remove this Banner Ad

It's a team game, and Roughy is a team player, first and last. When you next go to a game, check out what's happening behind the play. When you see Breust or Cyril or Gunston getting clear and kicking goals, have a look at the Rough and see what he's doing. He'll be blocking, shepherding, pushing, corralling, and other things that don't raise a stat.

I hate people who say "player X is having a bad day" when they don't have a clue about what is happening elsewhere.

And I've now got $1,000 on those Lotto numbers.
If they don't win, I'm coming for you!

You can't fault Roughy when it comes to Blocking, shepherding and all the other 1% acts.. But ultimately he needs to impose himself on the contest, and he does not do this far too often.

I stand by what I said at the start of this thread, with Buddy gone, Roughys performances or lack of in 'big' games will be under the spotlight.

You can't fault Roughy when it comes to Blocking, shepherding and all the other 1% acts.. But ultimately he needs to impose himself on the contest, and he does not do this far too often.

I stand by what I said at the start of this thread, with Buddy gone, Roughys performances or lack of in 'big' games will be under the spotlight.

Very amusing!

:)

Last edited:

Agreed. We should drop him or trade him to Sydney.

Blocked, chased, ran hard and set up a few goals. Yeh it's a bit frustrating with the one handed attempts but every player has his flaws. Roughy does so much of the team things so well and it was evident last night.

On the death he goes straight to CHB and takes the saving mark. That is just smart football.

I'd like to have seen a few more goals but I'm happy with Roughys performance. Competes well and gives every opportunities to our crumbers. It was also a pretty lonely time to be a big forward when we were getting smashed throughout the middle.

Maybe if it was put differently ...

Was last night Roughy's best game? Could he have played better?

Yes, but so could a stack of others. I would have given him a 6/ 10, and even Burgers while BOG, would have got an 8/10. He can't shine every week. So, yeah I guess I gotta agree he could have done more. Semantic though I spose.

Roughy is not helped in that he may not look an excitement machine for starters, or have the tatts, or the hairstyle, of the Willow shotgun etc. The seeming laid back, laconic personality may not help either. I just love when he is set for a goal, the commentators talk him up, and then nonplussed, simple as you like - he offloads to someone for a gimme.

And just finally to stir the pot ... Roughy at CHB taking the game saving mark last night? Best thing I'd seen from him (just about anyone!) last night.;)

Happy he plays wit us, love the guy, but I agree with the op in crunch games when the heat is on his output as is Birchalls- modest. I don't believe birchall has come to terms with the added attention he gets when assigned a tag.

The only thing that bugged me about Roughy's game is the fact that he often flew for it one-handed. And he did actually take two very nice one-handed grabs that I recall, but I don't think it's a great technique. I'm pretty sure that Clarko wasn't impressed either when the camera zoomed to the box after one failed attempt (but I'm not good at lip-reading...) I guess it comes from his basketball background, just like his preference to jump off both feet at times when in a marking contest.

Anyway, it was one of his quieter games, but he was still there trying at the end when it counted and took a crucial mark in the dying minutes.

Can't really comment as I watched the game on TV and they never show you even half the game....

Roughy and Birch did not seem to have the best games, but I don't think anyone including Junior did.

We were scrappy in the second half and the whole team looked flat but they gutted it out and came away with the points, thats what good teams do, find a way to win and Roughy is a very big part of the team

So going by this theory Roughead playing extremely well in 18 games of the season vs Burgoyne playing extremely well in 6 games a season is slanted in Burgoyne's favour?

People are being rough on well rough here but he does need some big games under his belt in the tight ones. He is however very consistent as you say and not many big forwards have great games in the tight big matches due to the circumstances of the match.

Your call on Burgoyne is ridiculous, we play him as a shutdown defender most of the time whilst other games a more rebounding attacking role. He does his job every week, most of the time in a role that isn't a standout role, therefore less noticeable. Rarely does his opponent ever get a hold of him. He plays great most weeks.

He has bone on bone in his knee and if his knees could handle the load then we would see him dominate in the midfield clearance king role more often. He can't and the best part about our team is we don't need him too. We have such a good core and deep midfield that he isn't required there often and his versatility helps in other areas as mentioned above.

When mitchell is down, hodge is down etc or when we need something or someone to get us over the line in a huge match, we inevitably turn to Burgoyne to get the job done and he usually does so. He is a champ and plays extremely well most weeks. Gun in any possie on the ground bar ruck.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I love Rough, and he is awesome and a massive part of our strength in the last three years especially.
BUT I actually agree that we do need him to find it in his game to step up a bit this year in providing the magic up forward, especially in big games. Whereas in the past, he has played the team game very well in big games and let others off the leash, I think we really need Rough himself to get off the leash this year in those games for us to get over the line convincingly.

The only thing I'd do this week if I was coach is throw him a pair of handcuffs and tell him to put them on.

So when one hand goes up the other must follow. Which should lead to the double digit salute, this is why I am not a coach.

Roughead only goes 'one handed' when the ball seems too high & he is reaching for it. Better delivery & the Roughnut marks (two handed) more often than not.

"Roughy needs to do more..."

FFS how many other main forwards can go into the middle (effectively) as a ruck rover ?!
Cloke.....FCUK no
Riewoldt .....no
Franklin......ummm no
Hawkins......der !

How can you account for leadership on field ?

The fact this is even a thread disappoints me :(

I will have to go with the sentiment of the op, here. I love Roughy, and believe he's a great player. However, he's not a big game player. I've never seen him do a Burgoyne and lift when the chips are down (except, perhaps, the 3rd quarter of the GF last year??) He tends to be the type of person who caves when things are looking grim.

In a way, I feel for the big fella. He's all heart, loves Hawthorn, and is a really decent, funny bloke. He's also a great player - just not in big games or when things are on the line.

Roughead is like a consistent attacking opening batsman. He effectively kills the contest so often that so many games never get to the stage where the game is on the line.

When the game was on the line against Essendon right at the end, he was the one instrumental in getting the ball to Breust for the quick reply after Chapman had goaled.

Also, he took the initiative of placing himself at half-back and preventing a near certain goal just before the final siren, thus sealing the win.

I have noticed he doesn't have his best games in big games but I think he most definitely does enough overall. Nice tap to Bruest the other night against Essendon in the last quarter gave Bruest a goal. He does his fair share.

Has Roughy ever produced in a big game? He was well off the pace tonight (which wasn't a 'big' game really). I can't remember a final or 'must win' game where he's even had an average performance - he seems to tail away.
Good second half in last year's GF springs to mind but apart from that not many games stand out. Whatever way you spin it Franklin was always a better 'big game' player than Rough, time will tell , that's where we will miss buddy.

I don't think Buddy was or is a better big game player than Rough. Different types of players though.

Buddy likes to strut in the big games, Roughy goes about his business mostly the same

Love the Big Rough nut

I'd like him to take a few more strong contested grabs, with two hands. I dont want him to get more and more into the situation like buddy where he drops off contested marking to constantly play the spilled ground ball.
The rest I have no probs with, gun player.

You guys are talking about the 2013 Coleman Medalist not doing enough?
The leading goalkicker in the competition that also plays ruck and centre at times?
The same guy that can act as swingman and help out down back when he has to?

:rolleyes:

You guys are talking about the 2013 Coleman Medalist not doing enough?
The leading goalkicker in the competition that also plays ruck and centre at times?
The same guy that can act as swingman and help out down back when he has to?

:rolleyes:
Worst. Coleman Medallist. Ever. ;)

Roughy's ability to 'impose himself on the contest' is surely restricted by our preferred manner of being patient and picking shorter targets inside 50 as opposed to just bombing it long and getting Roughy to split packs. It's also no surprise that if we're not doing so well our key forward isn't getting the ball.

The only thing Rough should be concerned with is kicking straight in pressure situations. That is all.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back