Preview Easter Monday blockbuster - Geelong v Hawthorn

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Anderson has missed two matches. Saw him wandering around at Box Hill last week and having a kick to kick on the oval before the match and he seemed pretty fit and looked like he was having fun :) I think they originally said two to three weeks for him didn't they, so I was half expecting to see him this week but thought he would be given another run at Box Hill first.

If you read into the order of names on the bench of the team sheet then it looks like Anderson, Ceglar and Lake will be omitted from the 25 man squad which seems likely.

Effectively makes it...
OUT: Ceglar, Shiels, Spangher
IN: McEvoy, Hallahan, Stratton

Which is about what we expected really.

Duryea or Cheney might still go out for Lake depending on if he plays at BH on Saturday or not.

Anderson would be unlikely but not unwelcomed if he is indeed ready.
I'm with you mate. Mind you...I don't subscribe to the theory that if someone is named in the on-ground 18 ( sorry Stratton_Gun!) that they are a dead set cert to be there come Monday. Too many ducks and drakes in play these days and everyone is too clever by half.

I think whoever plays out of Doc, Jedi and Boxer will be sub considering Joffa is named on the field. Which is annoying as I think Joffa is the perfect sub

I reckon that Duryea and Jed would both make pretty good subs also, just based on them having a bit of pace, and ability to have an impact. I haven't really seen Hallahan outside of highlights, but the fact he has kicked a few goals at BH might make him a good sub.

Given that Clarko/the match committee like to keep changes to a minimum I would expect to see the following:

IN: Stratton, Hallahan, McEvoy
OUT: Spangher, Shiels, Ceglar

Lake and Anderson included in the squad to put the wind up the pussy cats ;)

I reckon that Duryea and Jed would both make pretty good subs also, just based on them having a bit of pace, and ability to have an impact. I haven't really seen Hallahan outside of highlights, but the fact he has kicked a few goals at BH might make him a good sub.
Don't think we should put any debutant as a sub in a big game. Also, Boxer isn't the quick speedy impact sub so I doubt it will be him. Doc has done well in the past as sub but tbh I'd prefer someone with more speed. I have no idea how Jed could possibly be ready though. Should stick with Joffa sub imo!

Stratton in for Shiels makes no sense. Surely if Spangher, Shiels and Ceglar go out, Hallahan/Anderson, McCevoy and Stratton come in... I can't see Lake playing.
Stratton could come in for Shiels. Stratton playing down back can give Hodge/Burgoyne more time in the guts to cover Shiels' workload.

Don't think we should put any debutant as a sub in a big game. Also, Boxer isn't the quick speedy impact sub so I doubt it will be him. Doc has done well in the past as sub but tbh I'd prefer someone with more speed. I have no idea how Jed could possibly be ready though. Should stick with Joffa sub imo!

I may be mistaken here, but Simpkin isn't particularly quick either, probably similar to Hallahan's pace. Obviously Simpkin has experience being the sub, but i feel like he deserves a full game after his excellent quarter and a half as sub last week, and 30 possessions the week before. Also in round 1 he had 23 disposals.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I may be mistaken here, but Simpkin isn't particularly quick either, probably similar to Hallahan's pace. Obviously Simpkin has experience being the sub, but i feel like he deserves a full game after his excellent quarter and a half as sub last week, and 30 possessions the week before. Also in round 1 he had 23 disposals.
I always thought he was quick but apparently isn't. Maybe just looks that way against tired legs. Either way I think he's a good sub

Anderson has missed two matches. Saw him wandering around at Box Hill last week and having a kick to kick on the oval before the match and he seemed pretty fit and looked like he was having fun :) I think they originally said two to three weeks for him didn't they, so I was half expecting to see him this week but thought he would be given another run at Box Hill first.

Although he's missed 2 matches it was almost miraculous that he came back as quickly as he did after his pneumonia, so you'd think that there would be question marks over his ability to run out a game.

I hope and believe that he'll be best 22 as soon as he gets a run of games under his belt but I just think that this game would be too big a risk.

I'm in the Hallahan camp for this one.

Given that Clarko/the match committee like to keep changes to a minimum I would expect to see the following:

IN: Stratton, Hallahan, McEvoy
OUT: Spangher, Shiels, Ceglar

Lake and Anderson included in the squad to put the wind up the pussy cats ;)
So, Hallahan to go against Selwood and Langford to tag Stevie J. The other 2 are given, stratton for spangher, McEvoy for Ceglar.

The way I see it the emergencies will be Ceglar, Duryea and Hallahan/Anderson.

Whoever is picked out of Boxer/Jedi to be the sub.

Surprised about Jed. Thought he was underdone and hadn't played that much VFL. Kid must be an absolutely awesome trainer.

Although he's missed 2 matches it was almost miraculous that he came back as quickly as he did after his pneumonia, so you'd think that there would be question marks over his ability to run out a game.

I hope and believe that he'll be best 22 as soon as he gets a run of games under his belt but I just think that this game would be too big a risk.

I'm in the Hallahan camp for this one.

He was pretty much BOG in the game he played for Box Hill though before he was injured. I think we can discount any lingering effects from his bout of pneumonia now.

Full team:

B: Cheney Gibson Stratton
HB: Suckling Hodge Birchall
C: Hill Mitchell Smith
HF: Simpkin Gunston Rioli
F: Breust Roughead Puopolo
FOLL: Hale Lewis Burgoyne
I/C from: Hallahan Duryea Langford McEvoy Ceglar Lake Anderson

In: B.Lake , B.McEvoy , B.Stratton , M.Hallahan , J.Anderson
Out: M.Spangher (Ankle) , L.Shiels (Shoulder)

Surely Ceglar goes out as you can't play 3 ruckmen with the cap on interchanges. Lake and Jed probably still a week away so Hallahan looks likely which I'm surprised about. Happy for the lad though if it happens that way.

Mackie will definitely drop out, which along with losing Caddy are huge blows for them. However this game will not be won on paper and we will have to bring our best to win.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back