Universal Love Puopolo man love thread

Remove this Banner Ad

His tackle on Harbrow last night was gold, smashed him into the turf. Love Poppy gives his all week in and out.

And did you see how he yanked him up back on to his feet afterwards?

BT's call: "like a ball of spinach, the little man...Puopolo"

He is a perfect example of how misleading dream team points and stats are. Hats of to the recruitment department for seeing something in the mighty midget.

It cracked me up in the after match interview BT asked Clarko if Puopolo even spoke to the other players as he seemed silent on field. Clarkos answer "he does speak but as he's European no one really understands him"

He is a perfect example of how misleading dream team points and stats are. Hats of to the recruitment department for seeing something in the mighty midget.

It cracked me up in the after match interview BT asked Clarko if Puopolo even spoke to the other players as he seemed silent on field. Clarkos answer "he does speak but as he's European no one really understands him"

Look at this clip from the GF a few times and take it in.

He didn't get a disposal stat for this bit of play, yet this is absolutely pivotal. It was along with Smiths goal my favourite piece of play of the whole grand final, and should be held to the same esteem as Cyril's grand final tackle from 08.

Freo were coming here, and there were 3-4 Fremantle players desperately trying to rush a behind, so they can set up and have another crack on the rebound. The tackle on Spurr (I love how much he underestimates the ease of his next disposal here) and then dragging 3 defenders 2 metres away from the goal they are trying to knock the ball through wasn't quite as pretty as cyril's but IMO as brilliant. Sometimes the deed gets lost through a TV screen but that is a ridiculous show of absolute brute strength to be able to pull this off. After he has won the ball, dragged three defenders away from the goal line, they still struggle to even ground him.

He got 2 tackles on the stat sheet for this, but this is worth 10 disposals in influence. If Freo had of rushed that ball, they had the legs at that moment in the game and could have kicked out and rebounded a goal. hypothetical of course, but we will never know, because Puopolo won the ball, and we kept the ball locked in with the chance to setup for another goal. He wanted it more, which is not surprising, because he always wants it more than his opponent, doesn't matter who it is.

I love the reaction from the fans and from Clarko. Awesome clip. I also love how pathetic Freo's defenders are made to look (especially Spurr and Dawson)

Every hawk supporter around me was pumped after seeing that at the ground.

I love players like puopolo. Eeks every last bit of talent out of himself and leaves it out there each week.

Exactly the type of player Carlton need in the forward line, not little flashes of brilliance and no tackles yarran and garlett.

I cringed
Given the constant media about racism in sport, I always think friendly jibes like this will be run with, and made into something it isn't

Fwiw, Poppy's nickname at the club is Mario

Whenever I do a best 22 of Hawthorn I leave Puopolo out. Every game he seems to remind me of how stupid I am. Perfect foil for our less tenacious forwards.

Do you think Poppy realised that when his name was called out at pick 66 that three years later he would be starting player for a team that would play a devastating prelim loss, a heartbreaking GF loss and finally a Premiership player? Just as the draft is a lottery for clubs it is more so for players.
It has been wonderful to watch the development of guys like Poppy over the last few years.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm not so sure about that. Hodge, Rough, Buddy, Birchall, Rioli, Mcevoy have been, and will be large parts of any premiership push we have. The free agents part i agree with though.

Mitchell, Sewell, Stratton, Suckling, Gibson, Hill, Smith, Breust, Puopolo, Langford, Hill, Whitecross, Shiels, Cheney, Duryea, Lake, Gunston, Spangher, Simpkin are not first round.

Clubs win premierships, if you rely on the early picks you are in trouble.

Mitchell, Sewell, Stratton, Suckling, Gibson, Hill, Smith, Breust, Puopolo, Langford, Hill, Whitecross, Shiels, Cheney, Duryea, Lake, Gunston, Spangher, Simpkin are not first round.

I'm not saying low picks aren't important, but you are kidding yourself if you think we would come close to a flag without the first round picks i mentioned above. When you add in Smith and Burgoyne, who i missed above, it becomes more obvious how important it is to get some superstar talent with your early picks, and supplement it with your stars and other players taken with later picks.

I think the assumption that early picks will bring you success is the true killer, as lets be honest here, guys like Murphy, Gibbs, Kreuzer, etc. don't even come close to Hodge, Rough, Frnaklin, Rioli, etc.

The overriding spirit of our great game will always be endeavour, determination and always competing.

Yes skill, system, etc are important but the above are the platforms.
Good players with great heart will beat great players with no heart.
Poppy attacks every single second on a football field like you are trying to steal the only meal he has ever got his hands on.

I call him the little big man, small in stature, big in spirit.

love the little man's endeavour

interesting to note though after reading "playing to win", he was directly instructing to let those ones go out of to force a stoppage and lock the ball in
after he tapped it and turned around to see three freo jumpers, he manically flew to the ball to prevent the point and spare himself clarkos wroth

Wouldn't mind two of him, Randy.

Just noticed poppy has climbed to 125 on the player ratings. Now I know how the player ratings don't mean much in the grand scheme of things but I think they are still a useful tool. It means he's the 14th highest hawk and ahead of some reasonably big names.

I think it just goes to show how important his role is for our team in terms of winning us games (a fact not lost on us hawk supporters).

Was going to bump this myself, what a year the little legend is having.

15.5 disposals, 1 goal per game.

Bog-ordinary stats aren't they? Guess what, * stats.

Extraordinary footballer. What has got me stuffed though, is his ability in the air. Not clunking marks, but that he is NEVER outmarked. And it doesn't matter who he is on or how big they are, he brings the ball to ground. To the point that we can and do actually use a guy who is 173cm as an outlet long down the line or in the forward 50, sometimes opposed to two players.

Boggles the mind how a player can have that much s**t in him.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back