• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Shoestar

Debutant
May 17, 2014
AFL Club
West Coast
That is pretty big comment by Ellis it would be great but do you think he is that goodo_O Personally he hasn't shown enough for me to decide yet.

http://www.westcoasteagles.com.au/news/2014-07-11/sheed-the-next-pendlebury-

“Beau Waters has been watching him down at the WAFL a fair bit and we were saying that he’s got a little bit of the Scott Pendlebury about him,” Ellis said.

“He looks composed and doesn’t look like he’s moving too quickly or anything like that, but he’s got a really good footy head about him, so he’ll have no dramas with speed.”

He hasn't said Sheed is the next Pendlebury, to be fair.

Sheed for me is someone I find it hard to get excited about.

I'm certainly not writing him off by any stretch, but it's hard to see him projecting as anything better than a 'solid' midfielder to me. Others hold more optimism and I hope they're right.

I wonder if he'll ever have the size or the pace to be a dominant midfielder and it's hard to see someone getting by on just elite decision making. Perhaps my expectations are too high in the first place.

People sometimes underrate the vale of footy smarts and decision making as attributes. Sheed excels in both those areas as well as having very good to elite disposal. He's not going to be your Dangerfield explosive type midfielder bit think he could be an A grade mid who consistently performs week in week out like a Sam Mitchell, Scott Pendlebury Simon Black. Hard to tell at this stage but I think he could become a similar player to Pendlebury and certainly shares some similar traits.

Needs a full pre season again

What is his long kicking like ?

Can he hit targets ?

Goal kicking?

I don't watch any WAFL or see any of it live either

Does he keep his feet .....does he have strong core ?

So he can maintain balance under heat

People sometimes underrate the vale of footy smarts and decision making as attributes. Sheed excels in both those areas as well as having very good to elite disposal. He's not going to be your Dangerfield explosive type midfielder bit think he could be an A grade mid who consistently performs week in week out like a Sam Mitchell, Scott Pendlebury Simon Black. Hard to tell at this stage but I think he could become a similar player to Pendlebury and certainly shares some similar traits.

Probably the most important attribute for any athlete. It's what makes a good player great.

Robert Harvey wasn't quick

Robert Harvey wasn't an elite kick either

Robert Harvey footy smarts and knew what to do with it when he got it......and a great shimmy step

Whilst I hope we get a decent player out of Sheed, you can't make a direct correlation from WAFL games to someone carving it up on the elite level like Pendles. So no for me, and lets not beat around the bush here, that was a silly clickbait headline from West Coast's PR department

A comparison I made last year in terms of his stoppage work and link up work on the exit. Though not a direct comparison, as he's his own player. But he has the same fashion of play for mine.

Sheed's got some things he needs to work on though.

He's a brilliant reader of the ball off the hands of ruckmen but isn't always one touch with his first gather. It puts him under a little unnecessary pressure.

He also lacks a bit of body strength at AFL level at the moment. Which I always figured would be the case as he's pretty rangy in terms of body shape. Has longer, skinnier limbs that people realise.

Next is his transition play, needs to move positively or defensively quicker. At the moment he gets caught ball watching a little too long. Which is frustrating because when he gets out in front he can be deadly.

Last one is less of an issue, but it's leading with his shoulder. Keeps his feet and drives his body over the ball in hope of slipping a contest, it works often but he'll wind up getting reporter and doing another collar bone or an AC.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

ThJUqSM.jpg

The comparison actually makes more sense than comparing Jack Macrae to Pendlebury IMO.
I understand that Macrae is playing at a much higher level than Sheed but his game style isn't really similar at all to Pendlebury.
I mean, Macrae only averages 7.6 contested disposals and 1.9 clearances. When I observed him at TAC level he was an outside accumulator and nothing has really changed. Pendlebury is not a similar player in that regard.

A comparison I made last year in terms of his stoppage work and link up work on the exit. Though not a direct comparison, as he's his own player. But he has the same fashion of play for mine.

Sheed's got some things he needs to work on though.

He's a brilliant reader of the ball off the hands of ruckmen but isn't always one touch with his first gather. It puts him under a little unnecessary pressure.

He also lacks a bit of body strength at AFL level at the moment. Which I always figured would be the case as he's pretty rangy in terms of body shape. Has longer, skinnier limbs that people realise.

Next is his transition play, needs to move positively or defensively quicker. At the moment he gets caught ball watching a little too long. Which is frustrating because when he gets out in front he can be deadly.

Last one is less of an issue, but it's leading with his shoulder. Keeps his feet and drives his body over the ball in hope of slipping a contest, it works often but he'll wind up getting reporter and doing another collar bone or an AC.

Hrrmm a lot of those issues sound as though they cant really be fixed

Sheed lacks a little confidence at the moment from what i can tell watching him through out the year. But when he does have the ball he uses it pretty well. He was pretty skinny when drafted but seemed to put on a decent amount of weight so give him another pre-seaon he will have an even better tank and a bigger body to be playing in the midfield.

I want to see a midifled of this against Melbourne later in the year.

Centre: Shep Sheed Gaff
Ruck: Nic Nat, Shuey, Wellingham

Just give us a little taste of what is to come!

Back