Cats push for big Victorian club at KP

Remove this Banner Ad

While I was joking there I do sympathise. Hawthorn have been trying for years to get the AFL to schedule a blockbuster in Tassie - think Kennett even specifically requested the Cats or Collingwood in 2012. We usually end up with Brisbane, Freo, Sydney and maybe the Dogs or North. I feel for Victorian Lions fans who essentially miss out on seeing their team because the AFL continually schedules us in Tassie, for example.

The AFL won't change this because they want to maximise attendances/eyeballs, ignoring the interests of the club. Given that Simonds is now state of the art I don't see why you shouldn't get a big game there, certainly at least more than Freo and Port every year - not that they aren't big teams, but you know what I mean.

Is this a bit different? You sold your home games to Tassie, we don't sell ours...

I was bemused somewhat by the fact Geelong v Essendon was at Etihad yet again, while Geelong v Richmond was at the MCG. Seemed odd to me.

Anyhow, I wouldn't be against Essendon having to play Geelong at KP. As long as we get a home game against the Cats a bit more often- we don't seem to have had that many against them in the past decade.
I think it has largely to do too with compensating for the fact that Geelong hardly get any home games against Collingwood, and most of the other so-called Big 4, either. It's no surprising since the 'Big 4' have guaranteed 2 games against each other almost every season whilst Geelong usually only has 1 against the Big 4, something has to give. Essendon seems to have been the 'sacrificial lamb' in this regard for whatever reason.

Last edited:
KP is bog ordinary compared to the G and Etihad.

The stadium isn't good enough to host any "blockbusters" and you already play Carlton at neutral ground. I don't see why Geelongs whinge about nobody wanting to play them at KP when opposition clubs gain nothing by doing so.

Play Carlton at a "neutral" ground? Huh? We've played twice at your HOME GROUND this year!

Why would opposition clubs need to gain anything from playing at KP? It's not their home ground...

"I know, we won't ever play an away game ever, because we won't gain anything."

Unbelievable.

Just pointing out that you can't force the AFL to schedule games when and where you want - they are going to factor in outside considerations when they do so, some of which have nothing to do with whats best for the 'home' team. You can make it into a 'OMG AFL stop ripping UZ off' if you like, but it happens to all teams.

Essendon have played Hawthorn at Etihad the last few years, for example - that's in noone's interests other than the AFL's contractual obligation to Etihad.

Play Carlton at a "neutral" ground? Huh? We've played twice at your HOME GROUND this year!

Why would opposition clubs need to gain anything from playing at KP? It's not their home ground...

"I know, we won't ever play an away game ever, because we won't gain anything."

Unbelievable.

1 home and away game.

Geelong fans have to realise that Kardania Park is a away game for Melbourne clubs. However Melbourne clubs on the other hand can only play Geelong at a neutral game. It's either neutral ground that favours no one or Kardania Park which favours Geelong.

At least with interstate clubs we can play them at the G or Etihad where we can have clear home ground advantages.

Just pointing out that you can't force the AFL to schedule games when and where you want - they are going to factor in outside considerations when they do so, some of which have nothing to do with whats best for the 'home' team. You can make it into a 'OMG AFL stop ripping UZ off' if you like, but it happens to all teams.

Essendon have played Hawthorn at Etihad the last few years, for example - that's in noone's interests other than the AFL's contractual obligation to Etihad.
If Hawthorn played it's interstate opponents at Etihad rather than in Tasmania, it could probably host Essendon at the MCG.

Collingwood sent to Geelong, Brisbane, Perth, Canberra, Tasmania, Darwin & Alice Springs all in the one year I'd like to see that

Come on Ed make it happen
I know I speak for Geelong Football Club, but if Collingwood comes down to Simonds Stadium I am sure we can protect Eddie from feral Pies' supporters wanting a piece of his ear

If Hawthorn played it's interstate opponents at Etihad rather than in Tasmania, it could probably host Essendon at the MCG.

We usually do - it's a Bombers home game that we play at Etihad.

The stadium isn't good enough to host any "blockbusters" and you already play Carlton at neutral ground. I don't see why Geelongs whinge about nobody wanting to play them at KP when opposition clubs gain nothing by doing so.
Freo might have something to say about that. KP has no fears for them.

As long as we're not forced to play in that out of date dump, no problem with me.
I think you're confused. Simonds Stadium is that state of the art, boutique stadium with three new grand stands built in the past 7 years. Ok, it doesn't have a roof like your "home" stadium

I would prefer you played all of them there I just don't like the way many victorian clubs are able to pick and choose where their home games are played, a team has a home ground they shouldn't be hopping from ground to ground around Melbourne. It messes up the evenness of the fixture because the AFL then has to cater to a team wanting to play against the big clubs in the big stadiums and then the smaller clubs in their own venues. This means that in order to get enough of those home games at their own venue the AFL will continuously fixture smaller Victorian clubs to play Geelong at home year in, year out. This year is the first time in recent memory can remember not playing Geelong in Geelong.

So all or nothing is my suggestion, it's completely unfair on the 3-4 Victorian teams who are scheduled to play at KP year in year out because Geelong want to choose when they use the bigger stadiums.

Actually in Geelong's case it has very little to do with Geelong's demands. The AFL only pay lip service to Geelong's (and most others I presume) requests and are not interested in agreeing to any of them if it doesn't align with their own agenda hence why Geelong is forced to play at Docklands, a venue Geelong has never wanted to host a home game at. Geelong has also been coerced to play 4 games outside of KP when the club has only requested 3 at the 'G, primarily for Geelong fans based in Melbourne such as myself.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

While I was joking there I do sympathise. Hawthorn have been trying for years to get the AFL to schedule a blockbuster in Tassie - think Kennett even specifically requested the Cats or Collingwood in 2012. We usually end up with Brisbane, Freo, Sydney and maybe the Dogs or North. I feel for Victorian Lions fans who essentially miss out on seeing their team because the AFL continually schedules us in Tassie, for example.

The AFL won't change this because they want to maximise attendances/eyeballs, ignoring the interests of the club. Given that Simonds is now state of the art I don't see why you shouldn't get a big game there, certainly at least more than Freo and Port every year - not that they aren't big teams, but you know what I mean.
Its been suggested that KP is a less than satisfactory ground, on this thread just a little while ago. Just how good/bad is KP?

1 home and away game.

Geelong fans have to realise that Kardania Park is a away game for Melbourne clubs. However Melbourne clubs on the other hand can only play Geelong at a neutral game. It's either neutral ground that favours no one or Kardania Park which favours Geelong.

At least with interstate clubs we can play them at the G or Etihad where we can have clear home ground advantages.

No s**t, it's our home ground.

Playing in Melbourne is an away game for us.

Work it out, it's not hard.

So when were you last there? And talking about Carlton v Geelong as a "blockbuster" is a bit rich.

And visiting supporters get to stand on the terraces in the rain.
Don't tell me one might get wet watching an outdoor sport in the middle of winter!

Next you'll tell me you might get sunburnt at the tennis in January!

Probably because it's their home ground then.

Yet they play Essendon v Melbourne (Bombers home game) at the G? Surely it's in Essendon's interests to switch the two and maximise attendance.

I'm not even sure what we are arguing about at the moment - sure it'd be great if the Cats could get a big fish down at KP, I'm just pointing out the AFL takes other considerations into account over and above what's best for the home team when working out the schedule.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back