Mega Thread Buckley coaching mega thread volume II

Remove this Banner Ad

It took Malthouse 3 years to get Collingwood into a Grand Final. How long do you think it would take for Buckley to get Collingwood into another Grand Final?

MM took a side from the bottom with the advantages of experience & also drafting such as - Pendles, Thomas etc. I am definitely not decrying MM his achievements and what he did for us but your point is simplistic in my opinion.

Buckley took over a side at the top after two Grand Final appearances in a row. Do you know how many sides have made 3 Grand finals in row or another grand final within the next couple of years? Not many in the long history of the game and other than Brisbane with their advantages, you have to go back a long way where there were no equalisation processes in place. Just doesn't happen.

I am not giving Buckley an out and he needs to deliver the next couple of years (hopefully he has some luck with injuries) but to compare him to MM like you have is not appropriate. I could just as easily say something silly like Bucks got the team in the finals in his first two years and MM missed finals in his first two years with us.

Lol at you for thinking that a coach shouldn't look at a game in isolation when looking at a team's performance in that game.
Oh well, guess he should just wait until the end of year stats come out on footywire before he looks at the KPI's.

Sugar coat it all you want but our rankings are amongst the lowest in the league in many areas. If that doesnt tell you something nothing will.

Struggled? We are down with Melbourne, St. Kilda and GWS!!!
And yet still finished with 7 more wins. How does footywire attempt to explain that? Does it?
Can you explain it? How about you find some stats telling us how the hell that can happen? 7 more wins and still down with the cellar dwellers in the stats.

And yet still finished with 7 more wins. How does footywire attempt to explain that? Does it?
Can you explain it? How about you find some stats telling us how the hell that can happen? 7 more wins and still down with the cellar dwellers in the stats.

It tells me as a team we are absolutely terrible and if it were not for our remaining star players we would be down the bottom of the ladder with them!

The fact is you do need to change a winning formula. The AFL is a highly competitive and dynamic environment. Stand still and you go backwards. Bomber Thompson admitted as much when we won in 2010. He said he knew Geelong needed to change but the team wouldn't come with him. It took a thumping in the prelim to convince the players.

By the end of 2011 our winning formula (the forward press) was dead. It was being picked apart by faster more skilful teams.

No change equals death.

whilst I agree with your premise that change is inevitable, not sure you can say we were being picked apart with the frequency you imply given we were only ever beaten by one team that year.

Well done to 76woodenspooners for locking the latest two MM V NB threads. Hopefully all future discussion can take place here rather than creating new threads or derailing unrelated threads. I also like the idea of a truce, until at least round 5 next season!

In my defence your honour, I wasn't promoting the feud.
I'm just sick of seeing the same things being re-written and created a thread I wasn't going to look at.
I'd rather the Bucks coaching thread be about Bucks and his decisions/coaching ONLY.

I see your point but I think this thread is synonyms with The Feud. It was originally titled "Sack Buckley" after all. I personally can't see any issue with individual threads that discuss specific aspects of coaching.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The fact of the matter is,

We are not at the level of hawthorn or syndey - We were never going to win the flag this year.

However finishing 11th for the biggest club in the land is very embarrassing

Internally I would say the club 100% backs bucks so that's good enough for me.

I find it funny how the media claims all our players wanna leave but yet in the trade period everyone want to come on board? funny that

Finals football and overall improvement in our young players will be a 2015 pass for me.

If we don't make finals, pretty sure major change will occur

MM took a side from the bottom with the advantages of experience & also drafting such as - Pendles, Thomas etc. I am definitely not decrying MM his achievements and what he did for us but your point is simplistic in my opinion.

Buckley took over a side at the top after two Grand Final appearances in a row. Do you know how many sides have made 3 Grand finals in row or another grand final within the next couple of years? Not many in the long history of the game and other than Brisbane with their advantages, you have to go back a long way where there were no equalisation processes in place. Just doesn't happen.

I am not giving Buckley an out and he needs to deliver the next couple of years (hopefully he has some luck with injuries) but to compare him to MM like you have is not appropriate. I could just as easily say something silly like Bucks got the team in the finals in his first two years and MM missed finals in his first two years with us.

No, you miss the point. I was replying to a post mentioning how Malthouse only won 1 premiership in 10 years while ignoring how competitive we were in most of those 10 years. The original post was comparing Buckley to Malthouse, and only using a premiership as an evaluation, which I thought was rather simplistic, the very thing you are accusing me of(but unlike your post, I was tactful and didn't straight out accuse someone for being simplistic).

Also my question was an honest question and I was not being sarcastic. if are to judge Buckley it will not be for just how many Grand Finals we've won, rather how many Grand Finals we have made, how many times we have ended up in the top 4 and also the top 8. If we are going to be honest about both Malthouse and Buckley then we should see the whole picture and not just what we want to see. That was my point.

No, you miss the point. I was replying to a post mentioning how Malthouse only won 1 premiership in 10 years while ignoring how competitive we were in most of those 10 years. The original post was comparing Buckley to Malthouse, and only using a premiership as an evaluation, which I thought was rather simplistic, the very thing you are accusing me of(but unlike your post, I was tactful and didn't straight out accuse someone for being simplistic).

Also my question was an honest question and I was not being sarcastic. if are to judge Buckley it will not be for just how many Grand Finals we've won, rather how many Grand Finals we have made, how many times we have ended up in the top 4 and also the top 8. If we are going to be honest about both Malthouse and Buckley then we should see the whole picture and not just what we want to see. That was my point.
Thanks for the clarification of your post but I am not sure why you have taken it personally nor how you can read it as being 'accused' of anything.

Regardless we seem to be making a similar point.

This is all so tiresome. We all know the facts. Player aging and injuries have been the crucial factors in our last two years.
We have a coach, and we are still evaluating him. If he fails in a year where he has a good fit list, then I would want a hard look taken, but we have not seen this yet. There have been games where he made mistakes, and others where he set things up well. Normal.
I would hate for us to get on the merry go round of a new coach every one or two years. Clarkson after all was on the verge of sacking early on, and now look.

Bye Buckley. I'm officially on the Sack Buckley bandwagon.

How many players have to leave before bucks has 'his' team?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back