2014 non Freo games

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
It was hard watching Hawthorn bask in all their glory today. Their supporters have been so spoilt with all their success I just can't help feeling jealous and long for the day that our team is up on the podium. We really blew a big chance last year and today brought it all back for me. We do have a young crop of very good players and they are our roots for the future. I remain optimistic of our chances for the next quite a few years. Congratulations to Hawthorn, they're an incredible club.

Yeah, felt the same.

Realised that we're still good enough to mix it with these guys, but there is one thing that Hawks have in these really big games that I've yet to see our team display in the same way - it's the missing link for mine. It's not the number of 'A' Graders, it's not critical key position players, it's not team structures and disciplines. I think we match them in all those areas, maybe even surpass them in some ways. It's big game poise and execution. We lacked in last year's GF, it cost us in the PF and we lacked it in the Port SF this year. It's an ability to play controlled good quality footy in the highest pressure games and execute at top level right across the field. We've displayed it here and there, but when the really really big occasion has arrived we've not shown it to anywhere near the same degree that Hawks showed this and last year.

We get that ability, then we'll get our flag.

Yeah, felt the same.

Realised that we're still good enough to mix it with these guys, but there is one thing that Hawks have in these really big games that I've yet to see our team display in the same way - it's the missing link for mine. It's not the number of 'A' Graders, it's not critical key position players, it's not team structures and disciplines. I think we match them in all those areas, maybe even surpass them in some ways. It's big game poise and execution. We lacked in last year's GF, it cost us in the PF and we lacked it in the Port SF this year. It's an ability to play controlled good quality footy in the highest pressure games and execute at top level right across the field. We've displayed it here and there, but when the really really big occasion has arrived we've not shown it to anywhere near the same degree that Hawks showed this and last year.

You say its not the number of 'A' Graders but surely that ability is a key component of what makes a good player an 'A' Grader though?
We lack class, as did the Saints teams that missed their opportunities under Lyon. He admitted as much at the time.

I got tickets to watch this at the Carlton Draught pop-up Bar just outside the entrance to the MCG. 2nd best place to watch the game behind actually being inside the ground. Actually probably the best place to watch such a one-sided contest because the beer was cheap, full-strength, and you also got to watch all the Sydney supporters streaming out of the ground before 3 quarter time. I don't understand why you would leave a Grand Final early.

We went over for the game and were surprised at the lack of atmosphere during the week prior to the game
Didnt see any club colours on supporters any where .It was boring,boring boring
The difference in atmosphere between last year and this was incredible.
We actually returned a week early on Thurs .If it wasnt for having family there we wouldnt have stayed at all

Yeah, felt the same.

There is no hiding from the fact we have lost our last 3 finals and the main problem in two of those games was missing too many shots on goal that were gettable. One goal and a heap of points until half time in the 2013 GF was a dagger through our heart.

Against Port a couple of weeks ago it was the same thing - couldn't buy a goal when we had total control of the game.

That is poise and execution as you point out. I don't think we are far off the mark but need to play our best footy more often in the big games.

There is no hiding from the fact we have lost our last 3 finals and the main problem in two of those games was missing too many shots on goal that were gettable. One goal and a heap of points until half time in the 2013 GF was a dagger through our heart.

Against Port a couple of weeks ago it was the same thing - couldn't buy a goal when we had total control of the game.

That is poise and execution as you point out. I don't think we are far off the mark but need to play our best footy more often in the big games.

The players subconsciously may be are putting undue pressure on themselves to break our premiership duck.We win a flag and become more composed in front of goal.

Hawthorn are amazing. Really well run at the honcho level, the best coach in the competition and one who'll go down as a genuinely legendary coach, and a splattering of great footballers and an ability to make total spuds good contributors.

Yeah, felt the same.

We can compete with these guys and we are elite in pressure. I don't think a team can compete with the pressure applied by Mayne, Ballas and others when we are on. But we really need to start generating more scoring and accuracy (in the big games). Seems composure is still an issue, but I remain optimistic for next year. RTB started the process late this year when we finally got son son and Taberner into the mix.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We can compete with these guys and we are elite in pressure. I don't think a team can compete with the pressure applied by Mayne, Ballas and others when we are on. But we really need to start generating more scoring and accuracy (in the big games). Seems composure is still an issue, but I remain optimistic for next year. RTB started the process late this year when we finally got son son and Taberner into the mix.

It's composure in front of goals for sure, but it's elsewhere too. It's not panicking when there's no need to, it's taking that split second to pick the right option when kicking intro fwd 50, not repeatedly kicking into an opposition player in the congested play etc.

Now multiple finals and especially big PFs and GFs will build that in a team, and you need to remember how many of those core Hawks players are now multiple PF and Grand Finalists, they are veterans of the big games and it shows.

I don't think we're that far away, but there are some mental hurdles there that we're yet to jump, sure hope it happens soon.

Hawks took a leaf out of our book and our monstering of Sydney in last years final using intense pressure.
Sydney folded both times.
True but a bit misleading, in our game against Sydney they were severely undermanned and injured to boot. They were full strength against the Hawks yesterday. Looked to me like an off day and I also think Sydney had an 'easy' run this year during the season and post.

True but a bit misleading, in our game against Sydney they were severely undermanned and injured to boot. They were full strength against the Hawks yesterday. Looked to me like an off day and I also think Sydney had an 'easy' run this year during the season and post.

A bit undermanned and injured like we were this finals campaign.
Maybe those writing us of for next season should have a look at how Sydney bounced back this year.

... and you also got to watch all the Sydney supporters streaming out of the ground before 3 quarter time. I don't understand why you would leave a Grand Final early.

Tom Jones had done his thing right. I mean they wouldn't leave before Tom had sung, and they got to throw their knickers on stage surely.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back