Toast Welcome Luke Lowden and Kyle Cheney

Remove this Banner Ad

You need to chill.

Firstly, picking up fringe players is a natural part of trade week. It's not a shaming indictment on our club. At least this time we actually took players from a decent club. We also added some depth to both the defense and ruck which are two area's where we are in desperate need.

Secondly, the gap between pick 10 and 14 is going to be different every year. Obviously Noble didn't feel the gap was that great. Also upgrading 47 to 35 doesn't sound too bad. I was under the impression that usually after pick 30, it starts to become a lucky shoot. Stands to reason that moving closer to that point makes for a better outcome.

Just a very shitty trade week.

We gained nothing that helps us climb the ladder. Our best 22 is not improved. And all we have done is potentially hurt our chances at getting the best draftee possible.

I like that they're seen as clubmen. That's important. They may not be the best players out there, but a change of club and the opportunities that arise can make players like these take their game to the next level. Can't keep judging them on what they did at Hawthorn. They're crows now.

Listening to Walshs presser, Lowden will not play.

Cheney will likely be best 22. He can play the third tall, but also take a small, something none of our defenders can currently do with success

A guy that has never played more than 12 games in an AFL season will be top 15 at our club?

How?

So you don't reckon he will get a game before, Reilly, Shaw, L Thompson, Henderson and Otten who all play tall/small? 3 of which are guaranteed starters in pretty much every game we play barring injury. He is automatically better than Reilly (who is past it), Hendo (who is s**t) and Otten come round 1 next year to take the mid-sized forwards and replace the likes of Thompson (who is s**t) and Shaw (who is worst of the lot) who get smaller forwards leaving Talia and Hartigan to take the monsters.

Back 6 will likely be Talia, Hartigan, Smith, Jaensch, Brown and Cheney.

No one we draft (10, 14 or ******* 1) is going to walk into a back 6 role in 2015 nor likely 2016.

So you don't reckon he will get a game before, Reilly, Shaw, L Thompson, Henderson and Otten who all play tall/small? 3 of which are guaranteed starters in pretty much every game we play barring injury. He is automatically better than Reilly (who is past it), Hendo (who is s**t) and Otten come round 1 next year to take the mid-sized forwards and replace the likes of Thompson (who is s**t) and Shaw (who is worst of the lot) who get smaller forwards leaving Talia and Hartigan to take the monsters.

No one we draft (10, 14 or ******* 1) is going to walk into a back 6 role in 2015 nor likely 2016.

Hendo's best is far better than Cheneys best. Without a doubt.

I guess Cheney is better than leaving the cupboard empty. To be honest - I think he is just as good as L Thompson & Reilly. If Shaw can get back to 2012 - he is better, but I don't think that will happen so i agree Cheney is better than Shaw.

I don't hate the fact that we brought in Cheney. Its a nothing move for me. I understand the logic behind it. Its just meh. We are just bringing in another very average footballer to help us in case another average footballer gets hurt.

I am angry about the pick swaps though. Thats just silly.

I'd be very confident Hugh Goddard or Oscar McDonald would be ready for game time come 2016 should we draft either, both already quite developed body wise.

Hendo's best is far better than Cheneys best. Without a doubt.

I guess Cheney is better than leaving the cupboard empty. To be honest - I think he is just as good as L Thompson & Reilly. If Shaw can get back to 2012 - he is better, but I don't think that will happen so i agree Cheney is better than Shaw.

I don't hate the fact that we brought in Cheney. Its a nothing move for me. I understand the logic behind it. Its just meh. We are just bringing in another very average footballer to help us in case another average footballer gets hurt.

I am angry about the pick swaps though. Thats just silly.
Clearly there is someone in the 2nd round we want.

I promise you, you will all be pleasantly surprised with the quality of these two next year (barring injuries).

Cheney is a fantastic one on one defender (as long as it isn't the opposition number 1 forward). If you can get away playing him as your third tall, you'll get the best out of him and I can't imagine him being forced out of the side.

I'm devastated about Lowden leaving. A genuinely awesome guy that would have played for us this year if McEvoy or Roughead were injured.

He'll be at the very least a decent tap out ruckman that kicks 20 goals a season.

**** sake did we really have to downgrade pick 10. Big win on the Hawks side of things. Happy with Cheney considering we won't have to play Luke Thompson anymore, Lowden is probably a depth player but will get his chances.
Really? We covered 2 of our needs with pick 31 and got back into the 2nd round of the draft by only down grading our draft position by 4 spots. Not bad at all.

Smith should, and hopefully will, be on the wing.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We got two players we needed by effectively downgrading our first two picks by four places each. Given the lottery that is the draft, four places is nothing much. People are overreacting to the 10>14 thing. You have to give something up and I'm not sure any of our fringe players had much currency.

Not the greatest trade period in the club's history but acceptable surely.

Cheney gets No.8
Lowden 15
Cameron 23
Hartigan 25

Welcome aboard guys. Good to have four Sauces (incl. Lynch). Both players definitely fill needs and I always like getting players from winning clubs.
If Lowden takes David Pittman's 15 then can he also do the alternate between ruck and CHB seeing as we need KPD's? Or is that now impossible in todays game?

he's not a very good kick, he is hopeless at working out depth, he overshoots constantly. Typical non-footballer.
'Hopeless' is overstating it. I will say this though, I think Hendo needs to step it up in 2015. If he doesn't deliver some consistency now, he's probably never going to and you can claim bragging rights. He may not be a natural footballer but I don't think he's a 'non' footballer. I reckon he'll do well if he's fit.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back