Toast Welcome Luke Lowden and Kyle Cheney

Remove this Banner Ad

If Lowden takes David Pittman's 15 then can he also do the alternate between ruck and CHB seeing as we need KPD's? Or is that now impossible in todays game?
Lowden lacks any aggression of body work. A forward/ruck only. Mobile, can sniff a goal. Could be anything. Or nothing.
Cheney has been Box Hill's most important player the last few years so we will miss him. Depth only, but excellent depth. Goes very hard but gets exposed for pace.
I agree a bit of a 'meh' trade.
I wish we kept Lowden. Worth a punt.

Lowden lacks any aggression of body work. A forward/ruck only. Mobile, can sniff a goal. Could be anything. Or nothing.
Cheney has been Box Hill's most important player the last few years so we will miss him. Depth only, but excellent depth. Goes very hard but gets exposed for pace.
I agree a bit of a 'meh' trade.
I wish we kept Lowden. Worth a punt.

I don't get why we are bitching about them. We pretty much got them for free.

I know it doesn't look like it to some of you, but we've won this trade period.

Back up ruck? check. You'll be surprised how good Lowden is. Far better with more upside than Giles, and Cheney will do fine, he reminds me of Jason Torney. Has everyone forgotten that we identified our real problem wasn't that our high end talent was good enough but that our depth didn't extend past the first ten-fifteen players? We've just added some depth and solved some problems. Yeah we dropped 10 to 14 but...

The club's decision to downgrade its first pick raised some eyebrows, but Walsh insisted it was a carefully planned manoeuvre.

"Some people might ask why we pushed back from No.10 to No.14 - that was a calculated decision," he said.

"I'll back in my recruiting team, they tell me the player that they wanted at that pick will still be there at No. 14."

For mine Lowden was the "get" of the deal. Cheney meh.

Lowden is just about grown into his body, maybe a year longer. Could be absolutely anything as a KPF and back up ruck.

Seems like a Josh Jenkins clone. Only Josh is probably a better forward, and Lowden simply has to be a better ruckman.

Not sure I'd want them both in the same 22, though - unless Walsh manages to toughen at least one of them up a little. Can't have a forwardline with two giants who refuse to jump at the ball. Leave the crumbing to Eddie Betts, please.

I'm happy about the trade and the added depth for a position we desperately needed it in, but if Hawthorn's system and competition for sports hasn't brought aggression to Lowden's game, I doubt he'll find it at Adelaide.

Walsh is saying all the right things on this front, though.

Cheney: I'm a big fan. Honestly the hawks team is overflowing with riches so hard for even good players to break in.

He in the BOG - EVERY WEEK - for the second best VFL side this year. You dont do that if you are crap.

He is not super tall or super fast, and he turns like a boat, but everything else he does well and with full heart.

I dare say he will be best 22and wish him well in the new club.

I don't think anybody here is expecting him to be a monster forward. What I like, is that he looks athletic enough to play in the same side as Jacobs, which means we have the option of making Jenkins a permanent forward (Pods to depth in the SANFL where he belongs), with Lowden taking his current role as part time forward/ruck, and Lowden's ruckwork appears to be 1000x better than Jenkins.

I actually rate Lowden as a ruck wel over say McEvoy, and this showed in the VFL prelim where both played and Lowden took most of the taps. Was trained under Monkhorst who is a very good ruck coach.

Dont really rate him as a forward - but can definately pop in, clunk a mark and kick a goal ala Hale.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Have had a think about it if Cheney can stop the likes of Ziebell (cause we know how well that went in Launceston) and other midfielders that float forward it will be a win for us.

Until then I still have some doubts about him.

None the less welcome and good luck to both lads.

Never rated Cheney at Dees or Hawks

Not sure if its because Dees were s**t and at Hawks he always seemed to get a s**t match up, or if he's just not that good....

Happy to be proven wrong!

Lowden is good back up. looked lively in his debut this year

If Walsh is happy to back the recruiting team in and say that the player we want in the first round will be there come 14, then thats good enough for me

I'm happy to give them the benefit of the doubt. But if they burn me, they lose that trust! And Walsh has said all the right things

Not sure if its because Dees were s**t and at Hawks he always seemed to get a s**t match up, or if he's just not that good....

Couldn't agree more with this.

Sure he was undersized in some match ups, but even when he had a good match he still didn't look crash hot.

Will happily eat my words and spread some egg on my face later on if need be.

Lowden is good back up. looked lively in his debut this year

If Walsh is happy to back the recruiting team in and say that the player we want in the first round will be there come 14, then thats good enough for me

I'm happy to give them the benefit of the doubt. But if they burn me, they lose that trust! And Walsh has said all the right things

I bet if we screw this up, Walsh will lose trust in them. And demand better! We must be really confident which is either well placed or arrogant/stupid. The draft guys have been really good. Picked Atkins with a really low pick looks like a good prospect and so does Siggins and Jake Kelly. And who can forget Charlie. Already so important to us. Plus they predicted Matt Crouch would still be there at 23 and I am wrapped with that pick up. I have a lot of faith in the recruiters, no wonder Walsh trusts them.

Thanks to the hawks posters who have popped in here, appreciate the info. Sounds like both guys are ripping club men, which should help them fit in. Looking forward to seeing both get a shot in the pre season next year. Welcome to the crows lads!

Sent from my XT905 using Tapatalk

Welcome lads.

Message to Luke: The hair dude. Cut it short or grow it long. Don't go the mop top, it looks efing stupid.
One word: Gen Y

Same with Phil Davis' wedding attire the other day.:cool:

Its the new "thing". Get with the times, old man.:cool::cool:

Welcome to the club boys!

Ill be yelling #LowdenProud Round 1 next year.

#PutOnABeanieCheney
#illshowmyselfout

I know it doesn't look like it to some of you, but we've won this trade period.

Back up ruck? check. You'll be surprised how good Lowden is. Far better with more upside than Giles, and Cheney will do fine, he reminds me of Jason Torney. Has everyone forgotten that we identified our real problem wasn't that our high end talent was good enough but that our depth didn't extend past the first ten-fifteen players? We've just added some depth and solved some problems. Yeah we dropped 10 to 14 but...

The club's decision to downgrade its first pick raised some eyebrows, but Walsh insisted it was a carefully planned manoeuvre.

"Some people might ask why we pushed back from No.10 to No.14 - that was a calculated decision," he said.

"I'll back in my recruiting team, they tell me the player that they wanted at that pick will still be there at No. 14."

Spot on. Spot, bloody on. Generally people are employed to do a job. Trust the system and stop stressing all of you negative Nancy's.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back