Delist: Milera
Delist: Schneider
Delist: Simpkin

Rookie: Le Grice
Rookie: Schneider
Rookie: Grace
Rookie: Wilkinson

DFA: Membrey

Hire me St Kilda... Pelicans get stuffed in Barrels...

I can't see Oscar McDonald going past Melbourne at 40. Obviously, with the caveat that there isn't a slider that we really like at 22. Menadue has the athletic attributes, but has too much bust potential IMO.

He's only really come to attention recently. I wouldn't be surprised at all if he was there at 41. If Marchbank is there at 21 then we certainly pounce on a KPP. Wishful thinking.

1: Petracca
21: Neal-Bullen
22: McKenzie
(41: Howard)
Upgrade: Templeton
Upgrade: Minchingon
Upgrade: Shenton

Retain: Weller

Delist: Milera
Delist: Schneider

Rookie: Le Grice
Rookie: Schneider
Rookie: Grace
Rookie: Wilkinson

DFA: Membrey

Hire me St Kilda... Pelicans get stuffed in Barrels...

McKenzie rookie or GTFO!

FELSTYS OFF SEASON DRAFTING BONANZA

Lose - Hayes, Maister, Jones, Gwilt, Milera, Stanley, TDL, Dunell, Schneider

ND

Pick 1 - C. Petracca
Pick 21 - R. McKenzie
Pick 22 - N. Cockatoo
Pick 41 - O. McDonald
Pick 78 - A. Saad
Pick 96 - E. Templeton
Pick 114 - D. Minchington
Pick 132 - C. Shenton

PSD

Pick 1 - Membrey
Ha, that is exactly what I'm most hoping for as well! Saved me from writing it. Would be thrilled with that result. :thumbsu:

Could really add to our front half next year if we added Petracca, Membrey, Saad, Minch and I dare say Cockatoo could play there too.

Stop sooking it up. When's your Phantom coming out?
Would have been this arvo/tonight if I hadn't had to go to Ballarat for work and the lad wasn't crook.

Might still be, but probably Friday. It's only Round 1 for now...

Crazy how much Nakia Cockatoo has bolted, not saying it's undeserved, just crazy to think he went from a 3rd round prospect to not being around at pick 21 anymore. I would be happy to take him at 21 FWIW.

Crazy how much Nakia Cockatoo has bolted, not saying it's undeserved, just crazy to think he went from a 3rd round prospect to not being around at pick 21 anymore. I would be happy to take him at 21 FWIW.
i guess maybe its just the media and people who do phantom drafts are catching up to what the clubs already knew tbh

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Uncle, no outside spread? We clearly need it..
Montagna, Steven, Savage, Webster, Wright, Markworth, Minchington, Shenton, Billings, Acres, Saunders, Newnes and Templeton can all play outside roles. Neal-Bullen is hardly a plodder either.

Geelong has shown for a decade that speed of thought and ball movement is just as important as speed of foot.

Besides, what good is 'spread' if you don't have the ball?

I think we can all agree that we have needs in the midfield (especially on the outside) as well as a key defender and a key forward or two. the problem is we can't sort out all of our needs in one draft let alone in 4 picks.

Do we sort out our midfield (3 out of 4 picks) and grab a key forward or key defender? Do we try and do a bit of both (Petracca plus an outside mid and then a key fwd and defender, (depending on who is available/slides e.g. Marchbank, Goddard, McKenzie etc)?

I would rather go with 3 mids (Petracca plus two) to not only allow our midfield to bat deeper but to fix some of the outside run issues. Let's face it we have very little pace in our midfield. IMO pace is different to spread. We need one of the picks at 21/22 to be a Garlett/Mendaue/Cockatoo - someone who is damn quick. I would want the remaining pick (most likely a second round pick) to be a tall be it a McKenzie as a tall fwd or a key defender like a Goddard or Marchbank. And then another mid in the 3rd round...

It all depends on whether there is a slider like last year with Acres.

November 27th can't come quick enough...

The club clearly identified the need for more speed, skills and midfield polish this offseason and I'm pretty sure Richo suggested that we were comfortable with our inside midfield brigade (and that will likely be even more so if we select Petracca at 1 and if we do plan on trying Membrey and Wright in the midfield, along with say Murdoch), so I think if there is a Cockatoo type that we really like at pick 21/22 we will snap them up.

It does look like there could be some really good value in a NB, Blakely, Gore or Bampton around our 21/22 picks though, so it could be a bit of a dilemma.

Ellis looks like the polished type that we may be hoping slides to 21 and I finally got around to watching the recorded Vic Metro v WA champs game from earlier in the year last night and Cavka caught the eye a lot and had a game-high 14 possies to half time (all I've watched so far). According to Shifter in the coverage he has run a whopping 16.7 beep test previously and his skills looked neat and he tackled well and is a good size (185cm). Killed it in the finals of the TAC Cup apparently, after a late-season switch to the midfield, so he may be another one on the radar at 21/22.

Bloody hell Menadue was skinny, but the write-up's on him and combine results make him sound like someone else that could easily appeal for run and carry, skills and so-on.

Garlett looks like exactly the type we are crying out for (very quick and smooth and silky and dual-sided, plus he has a big tank already), but I do have my doubts about whether we'd take him, given how we are stretched for resources/money and as such may not be able to give him the support we feel he will need, depending on how mature and so-on he is.

Cockatoo comes across as incredibly mature and level-headed and so-on, so if available I think we'd be a good chance of picking him if we rate him best available or near enough to it.

Last edited:
Richo said we're targeting those blokes (outside speed with class) in the drafts along with support for Riewoldt.

Bains + Richo both happy with our inside mids.

Menadue sounds like the type that will appeal to Richo & Bains.

I was on the Zac Merrett bandwagon last year for pick 18/19 & feel justified given his season. That's not to say I'm not happy with Dunstan & Acres (who I didn't even consider being avail at our pick). Corey Ellis can play a bit like Merrett with both having neat skills, good decision making skills & a high footy IQ.

Also those knocks on Petraccas kicking are quickly dispelled when watching the (albeit minimal) footage of his other champ games in todays article on afl.com.au

Some of those I50s my god.. Riewoldt will be licking his lips!

It's bringing back terrible memories of the film Storm Boy we were forced to watch in Primary School.
Ellis looks like the polished type that we may be hoping slides to 21 and I finally got around to watching the recorded Vic Metro v WA champs game from earlier in the year last night and Cavka caught the eye a lot and had a game-high 14 possies to half time (all I've watched so far). According to Shifter in the coverage he has run a whopping 16.7 beep test previously and his skills looked neat and he tackled well and is a good size (185cm). Killed it in the finals of the TAC Cup apparently, after a late-season switch to the midfield, so he may be another one on the radar at 21/22.

Bloody hell Menadue was skinny, but the write-up's on him and combine results make him sound like someone else that could easily appeal for run and carry, skills and so-on.

Garlett looks like exactly the type we are crying out for (very quick and smooth and silky and dual-sided, plus he has a big tank already), but I do have my doubts about whether we'd take him, given how we are stretched for resources/money and as such may not be able to give him the support we feel he will need, depending on how mature and so-on he is.

Cockatoo comes across as incredibly mature and level-headed and so-on, so if available I think we'd be a good chance of picking him if we rate him best available or near enough to it.

Yeah I saw that game and couldn't help notice how good Cavka was too. He was playing really well and I was surprised he isn't higher rated. Cunico and Cavka both solid players who don't seem to be as highly rated as their games look to the naked eye. Maybe don't test well but play well...well that and maybe being outside runners don't get the love of inside ball winners.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back