List Mgmt. 2014 Draft Trade FA Megathread

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
So if we draft Petracca you can just tell already it is going to turn into another BJ/Carlscum situation. When BJ was always going back to Carlton and for Petracca he is always going to Collingwood..

The Geelong board seem pretty surprised that Joel Hamling got delisted.

194 cm, 88 kg, 21 y/o described by their website as a "fast and agile key-position prospect"

Worth a rookie spot as that project KPD?
Was wondering the same thing. Big men take a while and we are lacking in that KPD role. Worth a look i reckon. Especially if he is still there at rookie pick #55 (or #73 if we upgrade Weller). Finished 3rd in their VFL Team's B&F so must have some upside but Geelong have too many KPP's now after the trade period so understand their decision. Same thing with Mitch Brown although not convinced by his shoulders and Hamling is 3 years younger.

Was wondering the same thing. Big men take a while and we are lacking in that KPD role. Worth a look i reckon. Especially if he is still there at rookie pick #55 (or #73 if we upgrade Weller). Finished 3rd in their VFL Team's B&F so must have some upside but Geelong have too many KPP's now after the trade period so understand their decision. Same thing with Mitch Brown although not convinced by his shoulders and Hamling is 3 years younger.

Maybe not yet at Bruce's level.
http://www.aflplayerratings.com.au/Ratings/Player/117315/Joel-HAMLING

http://www.aflplayerratings.com.au/Ratings/Player/115707/Josh-BRUCE

Hamling is Roberton with more pace and less durability, Brown is Stanley without the height and pace, and with even less urgency; there's a reason they're gone.

If we're taking a Geelong reject I'd be passingly interested in Schroeder, but only passingly.

In other news, I've decided to finally pony up and do a full Phantom. Round 1 drops tomorrow...

Really depends on what we want to do with Bruce. I would personally prefer him to play primarily down back and swing fwd if we need something different.
Not convinced he will however, reckon it will probably be the other way round.

Reality is we are two injuries short of playing Simpkin as a KPD and knowing Fisher's run with injury that is really only one unexpected injury.
At least in fwd line we have Roo, Membrey, Lee, White, Longer/Hickey, Pierce we can play there if desperate. Even if there is a big drop down if Roo goes down. We are a KPD short even if they are just a rookie. Would like to see a young kpd taken in draft but if we don't get anyone reckon we need to get someone like him in as a late rookie pick.

Surely Brock McLean gets a gig somewhere? Wouldn't suit us but he has played well enough in the last 2 years to earn a spot on someone's list.

Essendon might take him with the impending ban hammer?

Robinson set to go to the Lions. Good player if he gets his head right.

Lucas will get picked up by one of the WA teams.

No to both Hamling and Brown. I like Schroder though.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

St Kilda has revealed that it has opened contract negotiations with Jack Steven, before he heads into free agency at the end of next season.

Club chief executive Matt Finnis said on Tuesday discussions over a new deal had begun with Steven, an important midfielder the Saints hope will play a key role in the club's resurgence.

"It is certainly something we are talking with his manager about. Jack is overseas at the moment but he will be back at the club in November. Obviously, we would love to stitch that one up," Finnis said.

Finnis, who in his previous role as AFL Players' Association chief ushered in free agency, suggested Steven could expect to be offered a long-term deal.

"There is no doubt there is a security which can play off that when you come into a contract negotiation," Finnis said on 3AW when asked about free agency.

"I know the players saw as one of the benefits of free agency - players might trade off some dollars for a bit more security and length of tenure.

"A player like Jack Steven - he is well placed in terms of age and his performance to expect the Saints will be coming at him with an offer which looks to provide him with both, I would have thought."

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-ne...h-midfielder-jack-steven-20141021-119jsn.html

Is bucktooth footballers the new trend?

First Daniher, then Petrecca

great, we scrape in by one and have to give away a reasonable prospect to do so.

But at least we achieved our KPI

the club saw through that one then

no bonus for you

c75cd45186f3eac9087ccb0fe8a7bf0e.jpg

I love Steven and want him to remain a Saint as he is our only midfielder with breakaway speed at present. However, I actually don't mind leaving our options open here. If Steven fails to recapture his 2013 form it may be better for us to receive 1st round compo (potentially pick 2). This could land us Parish or Mathieson, or better yet be used as leverage to lure Cameron to the Saints. Worst case scenario is we match whatever offer is on the table and we are going to have a truckload of cap space. Worth the risk of leaving him unsigned in my opinion.

Last edited:
Big time, kid has some swagger. Love the casual

I love Steven and want him to remain a Saint as he is our only midfielder with breakaway speed at present. However, I actually don't mind leaving our options open here. If Steven fails to recapture his 2013 form it may be better for us to receive 1st round compo (potentially pick 2). This could land us Parish or Mathieson, or better yet be used as leverage to lure Cameron to the Saints. Worst case scenario is we match whatever offer is on the table and we are going to have a truckload of cap space. Worth the risk of leaving him unsigned in my opinion.
I wouldn't be Suprised if Steven didn't get pick1 compo.

Not that it matters since we will find out our compo before we have to make a decision to match or not

I wouldn't be Suprised if Steven didn't get pick1 compo.

Not that it matters since we will find out our compo before we have to make a decision to match or not
If Frawley got it then I'd be pretty confident in Steven getting it.

If Frawley got it then I'd be pretty confident in Steven getting it.
Errr is wouldn't be Suprised if they changed their thinking of FA as they eventually fade it out.

I also don't think the frawley was all above board thus his terms haven't actually been leaked out cause I got a feeling it's something like 3-4 years 425kish.

What I would pretty much guareentee to happen IMO! is that their would be close to >5% chance of us getting picks 1,2,3 with Steven compo and a PP unless we came out and won 0 games

I'm not that sold on Cockatoo. From what I gather he doesn't finish all that well. From that sort of player I want it through the sticks or in the hands of a goalkicker.
He got the highest score in the kicking test at the combine, hitting 29 of the 30 targets (on both feet), so I don't think you need to be worrying about that too much!

For those who know a bit more about him, could McKenzie play games next year?
Just from a physical POV, strength-wise he could obviously play, given that he already weighs 107kg (!), but I believe his tank would need a lot of work before he is ready to step out on an AFL ground, otherwise whoever was playing on him could just run off him all day long.

What's the go with Corey Ellis? Iv'e seen some nice stuff about him, but I read somewhere that he was injured and missed the draft.
Wondering if he'll slide and how much.
He does look like someone who could very well be available around our 2nd and 3rd picks after having been talked about by some as top 10 quality at times this year. Is yet another one in this year's crop with a relatively late year birthday (October) and is also still relatively light, so could have quite a lot of upside to him. Looked to have a very nice left foot in the glimpses I saw of him in the champs this year.

I agree that Petracca seems a good player.
I'm just not sure we'll see the kind of improvement you get with time with players like Jack Steven, who came in as a pretty small unit.
Petracca is already full size ( he has lost weight ) so we won't get the improvement with bulking up like the smaller players.
Petracca has already had professional running coaching, and other stuff through the AIS. So we may not see the kind of improvement you get when someone from the sticks suddenly gets involved in a professional club.
But if he is like Ollie Wines that's good enough for me.
The thing with Petracca is that he is coming off a very strong basketball background, where short sharp bursts of running are what's mostly required and as such he doesn't yet have the endurance/running ability that he will need for AFL footy, so that is one area where he has a lot of improvement in him. I imagine he will also have plenty to learn about playing midfield still.

The thing with him though is that he just has so many attributes that translate well to senior AFL footy and particularly to the highly contested brand of footy that you see in finals, so I see no reason at all why he won't be able to dominate games of footy in the AFL, all things being equal.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back