Who is the No. 1 number one?

Remove this Banner Ad

1st tier;
(1) Nick Riewoldt, (2) Luke Hodge, (3) Brendon Goddard

2nd tier;
(1) Brett Deledio, (2) Adam Cooney, (3) Marc Murphy, (4) Bryce Gibbs, (5) Josh Fraser

3rrd tier;
(1) Matthew Kreuzer, (2) Jack Watts, (3) Tom Scully

since 2010; (too early to tell)
(1) David Swallow, (2) Jono Patton, (3) Lachie Whitfield, (4) Tom Boyd
Whitfield could be ahead of Patton so far, Patton's knees scare me.

That's nto too far off, although I think you are being a little harsh on Kreuzer, would have come close to winning the AA in 2012 (i think) if it wasn't for the medias love affair with Nic Nat. And he's then been injured for the last two years.

I would also have Gibbs and Goddard in a tier between the 1st and second

1st Tier - Riewoldt & Hodge
2nd Tier - Gibbs & Goddard
3rd Tier - Deledio, Cooney & Murphy
4th Tier - Fraser & Kreuzer

Duds - Watts & Scully

That's nto too far off, although I think you are being a little harsh on Kreuzer, would have come close to winning the AA in 2012 (i think) if it wasn't for the medias love affair with Nic Nat. And he's then been injured for the last two years.

Duds - Watts & Scully

Kreuzer close to being 2nd tier, his injuries have played a role in my decision though, if he had got a proper run on in the last few years no doubt he'd be 2nd tier imo if he kept up his '12 form.

Duds - Watts & Scully

lol Gibbs isnt that high, he had one okay year at best.

oh wait, carlton supporter, please carry on.

lol Gibbs isnt that high, he had one okay year at best.

oh wait, carlton supporter, please carry on.
Gibbs is a quality player. He has played well in more than one year ('09, '10, '11, '14). Will improve again in 2015 as well. He is not as good as Goddard but he is a great player.

Beteer than Deledio, Cooney & Murphy then?
I said he was a quality player. In a few years I reckon I'll be able to say Gibbs>Deledio, Cooney and Murphy. They were drafted before him.

Riewoldt has played in three grand finals and failed to have a real impact in any of them. Was pantsed in consecutive weeks by Nathan Brown. That's the only blemish on his career though. Champion player and great leader.

I'd still choose Hodge over him though.
I understand why people reference a GF all the time. I also think it is a little simplistic. Winning a Norm Smith playing loose man in defense or even in the midfield is a little different to tearing a GF final apart as a big forward. When was the last time a power forward dominated GF day? In the modern era it is exceptionally difficult for a power forward to get the space, and or delivery that is required for them to dominate GF day. It just doesn't happen.

The Saints game plan was incredibly Reiwoldt focused in 09/10. This also made us too predictable. Both of these games we bombed it on Reiwoldt's head all day long and expected him to pull off miracles 3 on 1. Furthermore in 09 it was raining and Reiwoldt suffered an injury leading into the GF. In 2010 I think it was Swan, who openly stated the Pies sole objective was to make sure Reiwoldt didn't dominate. It was priority number 1, number 2, number 3, and number 4. Reiwoldt was simply not going to dominate with the way the Pies set up. Unfortunately, we needed one of Kosi, Schneider or Milne to tear it up. They didn't, we didn't win a flag. It was not because Reiwoldt let us down. His game in the first GF 2010 was actually pretty good, just not dominant.

For what it is worth in 09, Reiwoldt was BOG for both our finals matches prior to the GF. In 2010, Reiwoldt was BOG in both our finals matches prior to the GF. Funny that he gets no credit for that. 6 finals, 4 of them he literally dragged us over the line. Without him, we never make those GF's period. Without Hodge, Hawks would have still made their GF's, and probably still won. That is probably the difference for me. Reiwoldt made Saints a better team by 25-30%, Hodge maybe 10-15%.

Don't get me wrong, I love Hodge, an absolute champion of the game. Just don't agree that he gets the nod because he has won Norm Smith's in dominant teams, playing a significantly easier role.

Obviously a choice between Riewoldt & Hodge, both deserve the number one spot ... however premierships are compelling aspects in favour of Hodge.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Obviously Gibbs hasnt dont as much over his career as Deledio or Goddard but thay is because he's only half way through whereas Lids and Goddard are on the decline and have played their best football.

As long as Gibbs doesnt get injured or an alien takes away his football ability ala space jam, he will pass Deledio and Cooney etc and will be as good if not better than Goddard

1st tier;
(1) Nick Riewoldt, (2) Luke Hodge, (3) Brendon Goddard

2nd tier;
(1) Brett Deledio, (2) Adam Cooney, (3) Marc Murphy, (4) Bryce Gibbs, (5) Josh Fraser

3rrd tier;
(1) Matthew Kreuzer, (2) Jack Watts, (3) Tom Scully

since 2010; (too early to tell)
(1) David Swallow, (2) Jono Patton, (3) Lachie Whitfield, (4) Tom Boyd
Whitfield could be ahead of Patton so far, Patton's knees scare me.
No love for Judd?

Am I missing something? Since when was Judd a number one pick?

As for the thread - as many have said Hodge and Riewoldt. I have a huge man crush on Roo - everything a gut running CHF should be.

I hate Hawthorn but Hodge has dominated twice on the big stage and has three flags. You pick Hodge.
My bad forgot it Was number 1

Lids had the potential to be the best player ever but has never quite put it all together. I'd have to say Hodge, then Riewoldt, then Goddard.

No s**t, see what I said right after that? It's indisputable that he has outlandishly freaky natural attributes. In terms of actual impact he hasn't been as great as others though. What's incorrect/biased about that?

The delusion here is so thick you could cut it with a knife... "outlandishly freaky natural attributes". Take a look at that top 5... Deledio, Roughead, Griffen, Tambling, Franklin. Tell me which one out of that bunch has the outlandishly freaky natural attributes (for reference; it's not Tambling).

Riewoldt/Hodge you could argue to the day you die. With a little more luck, you could have half a dozen premierships between them.

In all seriousness I'd take Riewoldt over Ablett, unpopular view that may be. When we got both Buddy and Roughead as they matured we instantly won a grand final in their 3rd or 4th year, that shows why you take the tall every single time.
Hodge is a better player and leader, and a big game player unlike Riewoldt in his GF's, but he's not a centre half forward. Replace Riewoldt with Hodge and they wouldn't even make a grand final. Albeit vice versa 3 talls choking on GF day to go with Roughead (woah hey finally had a good one against Syd) and Buddy would make it hard ....

The delusion here is so thick you could cut it with a knife... "outlandishly freaky natural attributes". Take a look at that top 5... Deledio, Roughead, Griffen, Tambling, Franklin. Tell me which one out of that bunch has the outlandishly freaky natural attributes (for reference; it's not Tambling).

Are you serious? We're discussing number 1 picks, not top picks in general. Amongst other number 1s, Lids has some of the best natural attributes around. He could never quite live up to the hype though, which was huge at the time. Please point out what is biased about that?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back