Who is the No. 1 number one?

Remove this Banner Ad

Riewoldt's the clear best out of his draft year. Hodge has Judd and Bartel to contend with and that's without counting Ablett.

Yep, but this thread is comparing only those picked at #1

Was it just me or a couple of years ago people we're claiming murphy as a the form player of the competition? I really enjoy watching him in full flight, very classy player. Is it just injuries that haven't seen him able to maintain that level or other factors at play that people could shed some light on? Obviously he's not at the hodge/ riewoldt level though.
He's had a couple of average years from those few minor injuries.
Murphy is a very good player, but I feel he is almost too consistent to be noticed. He constantly goes out there and puts in a quality game. What he doesn't do enough is take a game in his own hands and change the game off his own back, however on the other hand he very rarely has a bad game.
Hopefully he can win some games off his own boot this year and I think he'll rocket up in peoples appreciation.

Yep, but this thread is comparing only those picked at #1
The aim of having the #1 pick is to get the best player in the draft. When working out the best #1 pick, it's worth looking to see if the team was successful in getting the best player in that particular draft year.

The aim of having the #1 pick is to get the best player in the draft. When working out the best #1 pick, it's worth looking to see if the team was successful in getting the best player in that particular draft year.

Sure, but in a different thread

1st tier;
(1) Nick Riewoldt, (2) Luke Hodge, (3) Brendon Goddard

2nd tier;
(1) Brett Deledio, (2) Adam Cooney, (3) Marc Murphy, (4) Bryce Gibbs, (5) Josh Fraser

3rrd tier;
(1) Matthew Kreuzer, (2) Jack Watts, (3) Tom Scully

since 2010; (too early to tell)
(1) David Swallow, (2) Jono Patton, (3) Lachie Whitfield, (4) Tom Boyd
Whitfield could be ahead of Patton so far, Patton's knees scare me.

Swallow is already a better player than Scully. He is just not that good!

Hodge all the way. He is a leader and commander of men. Always looked up to and performs on the big stage.

Love Roos courage, but Hodgey's leadership is awesome... that adds a hell of a lot to him as a player.

By the end of 2010 I rated Goddard as probably the number one player in the league in terms of influencing games. He was the ultimate mr fixit, dominated back, forward and in the guts. Still an a grader today but no where near as damaging, but probably still in the top 30 players in the game
He stood out as the X Factor in a quality saints side, a bit like Hodge does for the Hawks, now that he has a higher standing at Essendon as the best or second best player. So he doesn't shine as much, and equally isn't as effective.

Riewoldt's the clear best out of his draft year. Hodge has Judd and Bartel to contend with and that's without counting Ablett.

So Hodge should be marked down, because the draft class of 01 was much stronger then 00.

Hodge has been a great player - one of the best mids/utilities of the last 15 years. I rate him in amongst Judd, Ablett, Bartel, Cousins, Pendlebury, Swan, Watson, Buckley, Hird, Riscuito, Harvey, McLeod, Selwood, Hayes and Mitchell and a few others.

Riewoldt has been a great player - one of the best KPFs of the last 15 years. I rate him in amongst Brown, Franklin and Pavlich.

Give me the KPF every day of the week.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hodge has been a great player - one of the best mids/utilities of the last 15 years. I rate him in amongst Judd, Ablett, Bartel, Cousins, Pendlebury, Swan, Watson, Buckley, Hird, Riscuito, Harvey, McLeod, Selwood, Hayes and Mitchell and a few others.

Riewoldt has been a great player - one of the best KPFs of the last 15 years. I rate him in amongst Brown, Franklin and Pavlich.

Give me the KPF every day of the week.

Funnily enough, out of the 15 mids you mention 11 are premiership players, while only 2 of the 4 key forwards played in a flag.

Btw, I don't draw any strong conclusions, it's more an observation. For every flag-less Lockett, Ablett Snr, Loewe, Neitz, Richo, Gehrig, Fevola there's a Carey, Dunstall, Lloyd, Brereton, Kernahan.

That said, plenty of gun key forwards haven't won flags. I suspect far more than the gun mids. Games of footy have always been won in the midfield.

people referencing the whole lack of premierships for nick have a flawed argument.

the hawks didn't win their flags because of his effort alone, it's a farkin good team and he has a lot of a grade support.

IMO i think Nick is very clearly the number one as a KPP. That's not to say Luke isn't a champion player

Funnily enough, out of the 15 mids you mention 11 are premiership players, while only 2 of the 4 key forwards played in a flag.

Btw, I don't draw any strong conclusions, it's more an observation. For every flag-less Lockett, Ablett Snr, Loewe, Neitz, Richo, Gehrig, Fevola there's a Carey, Dunstall, Lloyd, Brereton, Kernahan.

That said, plenty of gun key forwards haven't won flags. I suspect far more than the gun mids. Games of footy have always been won in the midfield.

I don't consider premierships too much when answering questions like this. I mean if you really want to throw them into the mix, Reiwoldt was so close to 2 premierships that it doesn't matter.

But I always remember Dermott Breretons response when asked about his 5 premierships. He said premierships are far less about the player and far more about the club. He said in his case it was dumb luck, he was zoned to Hawthorn when they were a great team. He said I would have been exactly the same player had I gone to Melbourne or StKilda - I just wouldn't have 5 flags.

1st tier;

2nd tier;
(1) Brett Deledio, (2) Adam Cooney, (3) Marc Murphy, (4) Bryce Gibbs, (5) Josh Fraser

3rrd tier;

I'd drop Goddard back to 2nd tier and Fraser back to the 3rd tier. Otherwise I agree completely.

Obviously Gibbs hasnt dont as much over his career as Deledio or Goddard but thay is because he's only half way through whereas Lids and Goddard are on the decline and have played their best football.

As long as Gibbs doesnt get injured or an alien takes away his football ability ala space jam, he will pass Deledio and Cooney etc and will be as good if not better than Goddard

Deledio isn't declining. He averaged 25 disposals and a goal a game this year. 27 and 1.4 over the last 11 rounds.

The delusion here is so thick you could cut it with a knife... "outlandishly freaky natural attributes". Take a look at that top 5... Deledio, Roughead, Griffen, Tambling, Franklin. Tell me which one out of that bunch has the outlandishly freaky natural attributes (for reference; it's not Tambling).

Riewoldt/Hodge you could argue to the day you die. With a little more luck, you could have half a dozen premierships between them.

You're misinterpreting what he's saying. He's actually bagging Richmond, genius . Deledio was a an undisputed, consensus number 1 in a draft that featured Roughead, Franklin and Griffin. That's how highly he was rated as a junior. He had unbelievable speed and excellent skills by hand and foot. However coming into Richmond's poor development system he never really reached the heights he should have. The fact that some people think he's underperformed despite the career that he's had should tell you how highly rated he was prior to joining Richmond.

That's nto too far off, although I think you are being a little harsh on Kreuzer, would have come close to winning the AA in 2012 (i think) if it wasn't for the medias love affair with Nic Nat. And he's then been injured for the last two years.

He wasn't close. He didn't even get named in the squad. Jacobs and Maric were the two that were stiff that year.

1st tier;

2nd tier;

3rrd tier;

I would agree roughly with this. Goddard makes 1st tier on 09/10 form but probably not on the rest of his career so drop him to 2nd tier and Fraser to 3rd.

But really what we are saying is that in the last 14 years only 2 number 1's made it to the elite class.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back