Draft rumours

Remove this Banner Ad

Live trading would be a great initiative. Plus I like the idea of future first round picks being allowed to be traded.
Don't like the idea of future draft picks being allowed to be traded. I can imagine a club bereft of success, trading their next 3 years' worth of first round draft picks to pick up a highly rated number one pick. Only for that number 1 pick to ultimately fail and for said club to be left in the doldrums for even longer.

I think with so much pressure on immediate success, clubs would be willing to take more risks which could impact the competition and lead to an EPL style ladder where the same top 6 or so clubs dominate

You completely missed the point.

That the compensation that Melbourne got for Frawley has meant they will land a player of Petracca's reported ability? That it way out of balance for a player of Frawley's ability to be equal to one of Petracca.

I got that, I was suggesting that Petracca might not turn out as well as his draft place would imply and that your call is a bit premature. Frawley for a top three pick is a steal for Melbourne though.

He won't win a brownlow from draft pick #2 alone.

Don't like the idea of future draft picks being allowed to be traded. I can imagine a club bereft of success, trading their next 3 years' worth of first round draft picks to pick up a highly rated number one pick. Only for that number 1 pick to ultimately fail and for said club to be left in the doldrums for even longer.

I think with so much pressure on immediate success, clubs would be willing to take more risks which could impact the competition and lead to an EPL style ladder where the same top 6 or so clubs dominate

I agree, I don't like the concept either.

I don't mind on the day trading though, I think it has some merit, even a 1 hour trade period following the draft.

If there's a kid still available at a certain pick and another club really wants them, the other club should be allowed to trade what they want on the day to secure him, in terms of other picks or kids they have already drafted.

A lot of these trades, especially the NFL ones end up big win-wins.

Often the club wanting the certain player fills a big need on their list, and the club trading the rights to that kid, more often than not don't need him, but receive max value, where they might have picked a lesser kid because because the higher priced kid doesn't fit their list profile.

If that makes sense.

I like it too but how does that fit in with father-son picks in the following year. You can't trade out of a future draft to avoid paying within the required round next year. Although I suppose that could be part of the equation but it doesn't make sense to me.

You couldn't trade out if you had a FS the following year (or academy). I have been saying the same things- these FS selections you know 12months ago anyway

You could still trade out future picks even with F/S. It would just mean that you wouldn't be able to match F/S bids. Which is not an ideal system obviously, but it's still a system.

You could also have trading possible during the F/S bidding process, meaning you could look to trade back the pick which turned out to be a F/S pick. Again, not an ideal system.

You couldn't trade out if you had a FS the following year (or academy). I have been saying the same things- these FS selections you know 12months ago anyway
You might know you have a potential FS (or academy) player but you are unlikely to know where they will stand in the draft order a year later and thus what pick you might need to use. For instance, even at the start of this season there was debate around whether Waterman might cost West Coast their first pick, or they might manage to secure him with their second, depending on where on the ladder they finished. As it is, no other club bid and they will just use their last pick. Similarly, Heeney was projected a year ago to be maybe a second round pick but he had a good year and his draft stocks rose.

Another issue is not knowing the value of the pick you are trading for. Imagine if someone had traded for Port's first round pick two seasons ago, expecting they were likely to finish towards the bottom end of the ladder - not unreasonable given their previous couple of seasons. There is a huge difference in value between a pick in the 4-8 range and a pick in the mid to late teens, where it eventually landed.

Roos all but confirming we'll take Petracca and Brayshaw should saints go Mccartin.

Oh the shock, not. Not sure why anyone expected otherwise. They are the 3 best talents, they will go 1-3.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If every club had an academy they could pick a player from each year with their last pick it should balance out the value issues.

It would create a problem when David Swallow goes to West Coast and Harley Bennell goes to Fremantle with picks #120, #128 though.

I don't think that's a perfect system, but I dont have a great issue with that. If the acadamies were based loosely on previous Victorian zones my team potentially walks away with Bontempelli last year.

I'd favour a bidding process myself or keep the academies in the northern states and open them up for everyone...

I don't think that's a perfect system, but I dont have a great issue with that. If the acadamies were based loosely on previous Victorian zones my team potentially walks away with Bontempelli last year.

I'd favour a bidding process myself or keep the academies in the northern states and open them up for everyone...

I felt that it would work well until one or two teams seemed to get a steal from it and then it would be thrown out, eventually I think it would balance out.

Why? He's simply destroying a rumour in a tongue-in-cheek manner.

Just could of said it better. Like he won’t get to Pick 5.

Petrecca might play for Collingwood in the Future. You don’t know with Trade/Free Agency

Remove this Banner Ad

Back