Mega Thread The Random Thoughts Thread Part 1

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reminds me. I was schooled that Aborigine was a noun and Aboriginal was the adjective by my linguistics prof this year. He is a prescriptive linguist, mind you, and believes that language is static and can't evolve, so I wouldn't reach too much into it.
Well without the capitalisation that's true. The words aborigine, aboriginal, and indigenous are just general anthropogenic anthropological terms and not specific to pre-First Fleet Australians. We've flirted with Kooris and Nungas as a catch-all but in the end they are too locale specific. Somehow capitalising aborigine/aboriginal became a thing. Then fell out of favour. Now capitalising indigenous is a thing. In the US it went Negro, Black, and now Coloured (all capitalised, adjectives used as nouns).

Last edited:
I have done the same with a packet of overly flavoured Salt and Vinegar chips. Could literally taste blood for days afterward.

When I was a kid, I snuck and hate a whole box of salt and vinegar shapes while reading a James Bond book. James bond movies now leave a vinegar taste in my mouth...also I can't eat salt and vinegar chips anymore

Well without the capitalisation that's true. The words aborigine, aboriginal, and indigenous are just general anthropogenic terms and not specific to pre-First Fleet Australians. We've flirted with Kooris and Nungas as a catch-all but in the end they are too locale specific. Somehow capitalising aborigine/aboriginal became a thing. Then fell out of favour. Now capitalising indigenous is a thing. In the US it went Negro, Black, and now Coloured (all capitalised, adjectives used as nouns).
You bring up how Kooris and Nungas didn't work too well because of being location specific. That's an interesting point. I think having more than one word to represent specific Indigenous groups would actually work quite well to reduce the pan-Aboriginality sentiment (that many people are unknowingly ignorant of) that exists in Australia.

You're a manager - delegate what you hate. If you hate the people, find another job.

I used to get told this when I was a manager, but the problem is the stuff you delegate ends up just getting done badly. And you can't coach and manage your reports because of all the other useless bullshit that your bosses keep you busy doing.

That self-imposed demotion was one of the best things I ever did.

I used to get told this when I was a manager, but the problem is the stuff you delegate ends up just getting done badly. And you can't coach and manage your reports because of all the other useless bullshit that your bosses keep you busy doing.

Some of us can lead, some of us can only follow. And some of us are just individuals who neither lead nor follow

Some of us can lead, some of us can only follow. And some of us are just individuals who neither lead nor follow

Environment and the culture of that environment counts for a lot too.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Lol my mate sent me this after the draft:

If port don't win the flag this year I wouldn't want to be within 500km of the changeroom after the losing final. Ken will set off seismometers across the planet. He'd be like "I planned this perfectly, and you failed. You failed yourself, your team, your members, your family.... Here's a gun, go kill yourself". But when they win he'll be like "alright".

Lol my mate sent me this after the draft:

If port don't win the flag this year I wouldn't want to be within 500km of the changeroom after the losing final. Ken will set off seismometers across the planet. He'd be like "I planned this perfectly, and you failed. You failed yourself, your team, your members, your family.... Here's a gun, go kill yourself". But when they win he'll be like "alright".

Liked because...I can see this

I've got all of our 2014 wins recorded and about half I have so far edited (removed ads etc) and transferred to DVD.

As Portress Hill posted above the games are available on online at AFL Smart Replay.

Thanks wharfie, my mate doesn't surf the net and has no energy to do so because of his illness. It was one of his small requests to get his mind off the obvious to watch some of the games that he had privilege of attending thanks to me. He was diagnosed with the cancer 2 months ago just before the finals began.

Unfortunately time isn't on his side, therefore I am trying to acquire copies of the 2014 season.

Sitting on my balcony, sipping bourbon, listening to Sneaker Pimps via YouTube while surfing BigFooty, Facebook and Reddit.

Shitty day needs a wind down.

Last edited:
I've taken to eating burgers with pineapple with a vengeance lately. It's really weird.

Pineapple on burgers is the best.

I made this and it was amazing: (edit: dat zoom)

K7ogl.jpg

Yeah its never that simple really but priorities help. Delegate, it gets done and prioritise coaching, mentoring etc which is the most rewarding imo - if some s**t doesnt get done - too bad. I've been restructured so many times its not funny and dont seek further promotion because further up the line is too much bullshit.

Fun times today tho - some lowlife didnt get what she wanted so apparantly she told someone I'm a ******* bitch who hates her and hates women :)

Yeah its never that simple really but priorities help. Delegate, it gets done and prioritise coaching, mentoring etc which is the most rewarding imo - if some s**t doesnt get done - too bad. I've been restructured so many times its not funny and dont seek further promotion because further up the line is too much bullshit.

Fun times today tho - some lowlife didnt get what she wanted so apparantly she told someone I'm a ******* bitch who hates her and hates women :)

I take it the days where you used to just file everything under 's' are long gone. Also if these lowlifes don't get a reaction from you...they lose

.... some lowlife didnt get what she wanted so apparantly she told someone I'm a ******* bitch who hates her and hates women :)
Your rebuttal that you are all woman couldn't have been helped by the sight of you tapping away on a footy discussion board.

Was watching Heston's show last night with a mate. Heston was doing some s**t with venison. My mate, she mentions she'd like to use venison for a Chirstmas meal. I said to her it'd be expensive. She asked "really?" I replied "Yeah, of course. Venison is dear."

She didn't get it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back