Review Winners and Losers in the Draft

Remove this Banner Ad

I'm not saying that those three are superstars but they are the linchpins for Carlton going forward and any meaningful foray into the finals in the next 4-5 years will be on the back those players.

Agree. Feel just like Judd took the senior mentoring role years back its time now for Murph and Gibbs do same both bordering 10 years since drafted so will be taking those roles why glad Gibbs resigned

Melbourne have done very very well. Petracca, Brayshaw, Stretch and ANB all ready to go from round 1. McDonald will replace Frawley in time.

Im very happy at the Saints. McCartin sets up our forwardline post Riewoldt. Goddard was talked about as the #1 pick (along with Lever and Wright) 12 months ago so that's a massive steal.

McKenzie said he was intervied by every club so he must be rated and can play anywhere with that elite disposal.

Lonie another ball winning forward who can push up the ground. Add him to Billings, Templeton and the likes of Membrey and Murdoch and we have a dangerous rotation.

Below that -

Geelong and the Dogs got very nice hauls with their picks.

Essendon would be stoked with Langford and Laverde. Talk about setting up a midfield!

Only real question mark was Carlton taking Boekhorst at #19. Surely wouldve been there at #28??

Also not sure on Richmond grabbing Reece McKenzie. Probably good value that late but is behind Vickery, Hampson, Griffiths and McBean for that Ruck/Forward spot.
Surely grabbing a bloke talked up us a 20-40 pick with pick 77 was a good result?

I love reading Colin Wisbey, but don't get to see his stuff anymore, but interestingly enough he rated Boekhorst at 13 in his pre-draft top 30 rankings.

Wisbey can be hit or miss, but I always found him compelling reading.

Only knock on Dees recruiting is the probability of Petracca & Brayshaw turning out like past Demons top picks Scully, Trengove, Morton, Blease and even Watts to some degree

Top talent but culture of a club and mismangement have destroyed that talent. Only knock on Petracca & Angus

Only knock on Dees recruiting is the probability of Petracca & Brayshaw turning out like past Demons top picks Scully, Trengove, Morton, Blease and even Watts to some degree

Top talent but culture of a club and mismangement have destroyed that talent. Only knock on Petracca & Angus
No.

The % of uncontested possessions is something clubs take into account far more, and Petracca & Brayshaw had theirs much higher than those Demons you mentioned (can't confirm Blease's pre-draft %).

Surely grabbing a bloke talked up us a 20-40 pick with pick 77 was a good result?

Yeah I think he will be very good value.

Just not sure where he fits in with all the ruck/fwds already on your list.

No.

The % of uncontested possessions is something clubs take into account far more, and Petracca & Brayshaw had theirs much higher than those Demons you mentioned (can't confirm Blease's pre-draft %).

Didn't want bring it up but even Bulldogs off season may have resulted in being losers

Loss of Higgins, Cooney, Liam Jones, Ryan Griffins think will leave a hole in the short term. Not sure acquisition of Tom Boyd justifies the losses of experienced personel and chunk of Dogs culture

I believe the 4 names mentioned above will have positive impacts at new clubs

What an inane comment. And there a few things in particular worth highlighting.

You talk of "probability" that our latest recruits will under-perform. Firstly, it's mandatory to take at least 3 players in a draft, so you're inferring it would be a knock on any player we drafted. Clearly you're trolling.

Secondly, there's no-one left from past development failures, so it's disingenuous to just assume the current coaching crop will make the same mistakes. Roos wasn't at the club and he's got a new development team. It's a bit like blaming Trigg for sacking Ratten.

Thirdly, we only had Scully for two years. His first year was so good another club poached him for $6 mil over 6 years. HTF can you blame Melbourne for his last 3 years at GWS ? If he didn't look as good as he did in his first year, you know, at the Melbourne Club, he wouldn't have been poached, yet you're blaming us for his current failings. It beggars belief.

I put Trengove's issues firmly down to his foot. He had a ripper first two years and the navicular (imo) has hampered him ever since. I believe he went undiagnosed through much of 2012, but clearly wasn't right.

Morton couldn't be developed by West Coast either.

Yes, Melbourne mishandled Watts, but unfortunately he doesn't have a competitive bone in his body. Bailey, Neeld and now Roos have all failed to get him to compete at a satisfactory standard. At what point do you blame player and not club ?

What an inane comment. And there a few things in particular worth highlighting.

You talk of "probability" that our latest recruits will under-perform. Firstly, it's mandatory to take at least 3 players in a draft, so you're inferring it would be a knock on any player we drafted. Clearly you're trolling.

Secondly, there's no-one left from past development failures, so it's disingenuous to just assume the current coaching crop will make the same mistakes. Roos wasn't at the club and he's got a new development team. It's a bit like blaming Trigg for sacking Ratten.

Thirdly, we only had Scully for two years. His first year was so good another club poached him for $6 mil over 6 years. HTF can you blame Melbourne for his last 3 years at GWS ? If he didn't look as good as he did in his first year, you know, at the Melbourne Club, he wouldn't have been poached, yet you're blaming us for his current failings. It beggars belief.

I put Trengove's issues firmly down to his foot. He had a ripper first two years and the imo the navicular has hampered him ever since. I believe he went undiagnosed through much of 2012, but clearly wasn't right.

Morton couldn't be developed by West Coast either.

Yes, Melbourne mishandled Watts, but unfortunately he doesn't have a competitive bone in his body. Bailey, Neeld and now Roos have all failed to get him to compete at a satisfactory standard. At what point do you blame player and not club ?

What I'm saying is bad culture at clubs can have negative impact on players development and creates bad habits. Instead of properly developing players, they get chucked right into the deep end

Like Jimmy Toumpas, I was at his debut game against Port and felt should of had least 5 games in reserves

I love Demons as well same as Paul Roos, challenge is to steer clear of the negative culture from the past such as tanking day which installed the losing mentality across the club. Massive challenge for Paul Roos is to change the culture of the club, if not done the club won't get anywhere, we still need wait and see

Petracca and Brayshaw hopefully become super elite talent which change the Melbourne FC and carry the club into many finals series

That's what I'm gettjng at

Might I add i was happy Demons selected these 2 mentioned above. Think these hard nuts will assist in Toumpas, Watts and Salems development allow them play their natural games. Both monster kids, seeing Brayshaw get his jumper, practically bigger than Paul Roos

Last edited:
Yes, clearly big bodied inside mids have greater chances of success.
Not just size, but their style of play looks like they'll easily make it as AFL footballers. Melbourne have set themselves up for a decade in a single draft

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Didn't want bring it up but even Bulldogs off season may have resulted in being losers

Loss of Higgins, Cooney, Liam Jones, Ryan Griffins think will leave a hole in the short term. Not sure acquisition of Tom Boyd justifies the losses of experienced personel and chunk of Dogs culture

It's not a matter of the Boyd acquisition justifying the loss of experienced personnel, it's matter of it offsetting it. In terms of the personnel/currency involved, what other choice did we have? In a whirlwind offseason, it seems to have been lost on people that we didn't offer up Griffen, he walked out without so much as a goodbye and switched off his phone.

The Bulldogs didn't have a choice when it came to the departures of Jones and Griffen. They'd made up their minds, and the club did their best in the circumstances. Cooney and Higgins were punted for other reasons. The club could do with their experience, but ultimately decided that the spots they'd occupy, the chunk of the salary cap they occupied and the cultural damage all together weren't worth it.

There's no doubt we're losers in the short term - we lost our captain, a Brownlow Medalist still capable of quality football, and a quality ball user that will do well in a new environment. Jones won't be missed, but good luck to him. There'll be pain, but we've given ourselves a launching pad.

Not just size, but their style of play looks like they'll easily make it as AFL footballers. Melbourne have set themselves up for a decade in a single draft

ANB good steal plus Stretch... Hard work begins now but in time hope see them all play side by side (no pun intended)

It's not a matter of the Boyd acquisition justifying the loss of experienced personnel, it's matter of it offsetting it. In terms of the personnel/currency involved, what other choice did we have? In a whirlwind offseason, it seems to have been lost on people that we didn't offer up Griffen, he walked out without so much as a goodbye and switched off his phone.

The Bulldogs didn't have a choice when it came to the departures of Jones and Griffen. They'd made up their minds, and the club did their best in the circumstances. Cooney and Higgins were punted for other reasons. The club could do with their experience, but ultimately decided that the spots they'd occupy, the chunk of the salary cap they occupied and the cultural damage all together weren't worth it.

There's no doubt we're losers in the short term - we lost our captain, a Brownlow Medalist still capable of quality football, and a quality ball user that will do well in a new environment. Jones won't be missed, but good luck to him. There'll be pain, but we've given ourselves a launching pad.

That's why I said short term as I know Bulldogs setting up something special in the long term, no doubt in my mind will be contenders in 3-4 years

Look if you want to look to the future, you have to completely year down the past!!!

Bontempelli, Stringer, McRae, Stringer, Boyd, Liberatore will be exceptional talent

Btw bit harsh on Jones, think will be good player at Blues

That's why I said short term as I know Bulldogs setting up something special in the long term, no doubt in my mind will be contenders in 3-4 years

Look if you want to look to the future, you have to completely year down the past!!!

Bontempelli, Stringer, McRae, Stringer, Boyd, Liberatore will be exceptional talent

Btw bit harsh on Jones, think will be good player at Blues

Geez they are cloning now.....................

Higgins and Cooney are effectively finished as footballers, like Varcoe for us. They will provide the odd impact here and there during the next couple of years but the Dogs won't be feeling any immediate short term effects due to their departures. Griffin they will, as he's an elite midfielder in his prime but even so, one has to question his mental fortitude the manor in which he bitched and moaned behind the coaches back. Certainly doesn't speak 'leadership' if the rumors are to be true.
He will enjoy his money in Sydney though, the team around him won't be making finals for a good 5+ years which effectively sees his old team get there a little sooner than what he probably envisioned.

Jones also has oodles of talent but sometimes it's best to cut your losses and Tom Boyd will have no troubles replicating Liam's previous two seasons of output in only season come 2015. Kid's an absolute beauty! Even if he doesn't live upto his billing, he's still going to be a 50 goals per season player (barring injuries). He's too strong, big and athletic not to make an impact in the AFL. Dogs have done well in recent years at the draft. They could be a huge surprise in 2015, pushing for an unlikely finals berth that is.

Higgins and Cooney are effectively finished as footballers, like Varcoe for us. They will provide the odd impact here and there during the next couple of years but the Dogs won't be feeling any immediate short term effects due to their departures. Griffin they will, as he's an elite midfielder in his prime but even so, one has to question his mental fortitude the manor in which he bitched and moaned behind the coaches back. Certainly doesn't speak 'leadership' if the rumors are to be true.
He will enjoy his money in Sydney though, the team around him won't be making finals for a good 5+ years which effectively sees his old team get there a little sooner than what he probably envisioned.

Jones also has oodles of talent but sometimes it's best to cut your losses and Tom Boyd will have no troubles replicating Liam's previous two seasons of output in only season come 2015. Kid's an absolute beauty! Even if he doesn't live upto his billing, he's still going to be a 50 goals per season player (barring injuries). He's too strong, big and athletic not to make an impact in the AFL. Dogs have done well in recent years at the draft. They could be a huge surprise in 2015, pushing for an unlikely finals berth that is.

Tom Boyd will take bit of time but confident will become an elite forward. Liam Jones I think will benefit in new environment as the 3rd target, think will settle in good at Blues and become very serviceable player

Last edited:
Yeah I think he will be very good value.

Just not sure where he fits in with all the ruck/fwds already on your list.
competition is always good and creates pressure on those in the team to stay in the team. If he's good enough he plays. Really of all our big blokes only maric is assured of a starting position and by the time mackenzie is ready to play maric will be nearing the end of his career.

I agree with this. More importantly Paul Roos does too.

I'd love to see Petracca & Brayshaw plus other of the recruits from Dees make a R1 debut but doubtful Roos would do that, not that it's a bad thing. Big bodies and probs might be ready but I hope it just doesn't happen R1

Blues feel if Boekhorst is ready to play him immediately as 21, think could handle it. Mark Whiley feel same scenario will be ready and good chance to debut

Remove this Banner Ad

Back