Review Winners and Losers in the Draft

Remove this Banner Ad

I'd love to see Petracca & Brayshaw plus other of the recruits from Dees make a R1 debut but doubtful Roos would do that, not that it's a bad thing. Big bodies and probs might be ready but I hope it just doesn't happen R1

Blues feel if Boekhorst is ready to play him immediately as 21, think could handle it. Mark Whiley feel same scenario will be ready and good chance to debut

I anticipate only Petracca and Brayshaw as likely candidates, but there's still 4 months of training, practice matches and preseason games to go.

He is a funny one Foster. Older aged player, but performed well in patches. Given his fathers history, and the position he played - you would have thought the Dogs would be interested.

Do we know something you dont, or do you guys know something we dont ??? Only time will tell, but there are a number of Doggies fans asking WTF ? - with regards to letting him just disappear....
You didn't have enough picks after you committed to Cordy with your last pick. Foster wasn't worth one of your five picks in the top 50. Reckon we took him with our last pick because you may have rookie listed him like Jake Long.

Don't know if we rated Gowers ahead of Foster, but he was the next player on our list.

You didn't have enough picks after you committed to Cordy with your last pick. Foster wasn't worth one of your five picks in the top 50. Reckon we took him with our last pick because you may have rookie listed him like Jake Long.

Don't know if we rated Gowers ahead of Foster, but he was the next player on our list.

We could have delisted a couple or taken Hamling as a rookie pick if we needed more list space for Foster. But I agree with your point - if we'd wanted him we could have made room for him..

What I'm saying is bad culture at clubs can have negative impact on players development and creates bad habits. Instead of properly developing players, they get chucked right into the deep end

Petracca and Brayshaw hopefully become super elite talent which change the Melbourne FC and carry the club into many finals series

Melbourne will never be any good, they're still channeling bad karma from when they sacked Norm Smith!

Didn't want bring it up but even Bulldogs off season may have resulted in being losers

Loss of Higgins, Cooney, Liam Jones, Ryan Griffins think will leave a hole in the short term. Not sure acquisition of Tom Boyd justifies the losses of experienced personel and chunk of Dogs culture

I believe the 4 names mentioned above will have positive impacts at new clubs

Of course they will, but if you are going to lose some mature players, you might as well lose them when they are still worth something in trade and in the year of a deep draft. Short term pain might end up with long term gain.

Grif + 6 = Boyd.
Cooney = Hamilton + Biggs.
Higgins = Webb.
Jones = Daniel

Who knows?

What I'm saying is bad culture at clubs can have negative impact on players development and creates bad habits. Instead of properly developing players, they get chucked right into the deep end

Like Jimmy Toumpas, I was at his debut game against Port and felt should of had least 5 games in reserves

I love Demons as well same as Paul Roos, challenge is to steer clear of the negative culture from the past such as tanking day which installed the losing mentality across the club. Massive challenge for Paul Roos is to change the culture of the club, if not done the club won't get anywhere, we still need wait and see

Petracca and Brayshaw hopefully become super elite talent which change the Melbourne FC and carry the club into many finals series

That's what I'm gettjng at

Might I add i was happy Demons selected these 2 mentioned above. Think these hard nuts will assist in Toumpas, Watts and Salems development allow them play their natural games. Both monster kids, seeing Brayshaw get his jumper, practically bigger than Paul Roos

Can you explain to me why Tom McDonald and Jeremy Howe seem to be good players at pick 23 and 55. And how did Nathan Jones at pick 12 has managed to have a good career - I must be missing something ?

Thought Foster is a KPF, leading goal kicker in TAC so plenty upside
Joins an illustrious list of tac cup leading goalkickers with names such as cory Buchan (2010). Jack soloman, nick murphy and nick maric (2011).

Tom Boyd is the only kpf who led the tac cup goal kicking in recent years to have actually been rated

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We have 2 rookie picks, one of them is for Tom Logan

The other I do hope is a midfielder or maybe Josh Glenn (who is not a stranger in the middle)

I just like the addition of talls this year

Yes, Sam Gray is a forward / wing

Cassisi was playing out of defence for the last 2 seasons, we have him covered, Kane is a running machine and it seems age hasn't affected that at all, plus speed was never his forte, plus he is a tagger, still very capable.

Newton is the out, we expect him to be replaced with the vastly quicker Amon

Plus we are on the cusp and there was virtually zero hope of finding a first 22 player with the draft picks we had, 56, 69, 78 & 84. So why not go for the longer term?
Think PAP did the best they could. The inclusion of Ryder is massive and so with the picks left over the right decision was to go tall. Not many great young mids are left that late in the draft.

I anticipate only Petracca and Brayshaw as likely candidates, but there's still 4 months of training, practice matches and preseason games to go.

Did a lot of thinking pre draft about Demons, question

Would you trade away either Petracca or Brayshaw (1 of the 2, only 1) for experienced player like Gibbs or Kreuzer?

Last year Pick 2 trade got experienced player and top 10 pick, was thinking maybe Roos might consider that option during the trade period but see kept picks 2&3

Personally not saying would give up Gibbs or Kreuzer, just using it as an example, top AFL players to fill the gaps

Did a lot of thinking pre draft about Demons, question

Would you trade away either Petracca or Brayshaw (1 of the 2, only 1) for experienced player like Gibbs or Kreuzer?

Last year Pick 2 trade got experienced player and top 10 pick, was thinking maybe Roos might consider that option during the trade period but see kept picks 2&3

Personally not saying would give up Gibbs or Kreuzer, just using it as an example, top AFL players to fill the gaps
Not really. I think last years trade was about getting 2 new mids into the team rather than 1 (pick 2)

It's not a matter of the Boyd acquisition justifying the loss of experienced personnel, it's matter of it offsetting it. In terms of the personnel/currency involved, what other choice did we have? In a whirlwind offseason, it seems to have been lost on people that we didn't offer up Griffen, he walked out without so much as a goodbye and switched off his phone.

The Bulldogs didn't have a choice when it came to the departures of Jones and Griffen. They'd made up their minds, and the club did their best in the circumstances. Cooney and Higgins were punted for other reasons. The club could do with their experience, but ultimately decided that the spots they'd occupy, the chunk of the salary cap they occupied and the cultural damage all together weren't worth it.

There's no doubt we're losers in the short term - we lost our captain, a Brownlow Medalist still capable of quality football, and a quality ball user that will do well in a new environment. Jones won't be missed, but good luck to him. There'll be pain, but we've given ourselves a launching pad.

Don't forget the Higgins decision was made prior to Griffen's treachery. Otherwise we may have decided to keep Shaun at the club....

Don't forget the Higgins decision was made prior to Griffen's treachery. Otherwise we may have decided to keep Shaun at the club....

You guys are better off without Higgins, given his history of soft-tissue injuries and your rising crop of young, very talented mids.

The Dogs list management has been mint in the last 3-4 years, wish you guys gave McCartney more time, but regardless, i am rather bullish about the Doggies, given a good run of injuries, finals should be on the agenda for 2016 IMO

Biggest issue with the dogs next season will be leadership, Murphy, Morris, Boyd, Picken and Minson after that the list gets quite young, Crameri is not really a leader but I think he needs to add that to his game, Libba and Wallis need to step up again and then the young-ens of Macrae, Stringer, Bonti, Dahl and Boyd who are all rippers need to throw their hat in the ring.

From an outside view looking in it's a sink or swim type of 2015 for the dogs, And I'm sure the supporters cannot wait.

Not really. I think last years trade was about getting 2 new mids into the team rather than 1 (pick 2)

Hard to say. I think Demons would be good sacrificing say either one of Petracca or Brayshaw to get either a Gibbs or Hanley. Players that can set up off half back, create and be reliable

Dees have stocked up on Mids, quality half back flanker would benefit the team.

Hard to say. I think Demons would be good sacrificing say either one of Petracca or Brayshaw to get either a Gibbs or Hanley. Players that can set up off half back, create and be reliable

Dees have stocked up on Mids, quality half back flanker would benefit the team.

Um no, if we looked to add players like that it would be through Free Agency or trading picks and not players like Petracca and Brayshaw.

Not a chance.

Um no, if we looked to add players like that it would be through Free Agency or trading picks and not players like Petracca and Brayshaw.

Not a chance.

Question if you did have to sacrifice a player out of Christian or Angus, who would it be?

I have a Blues trade for you that think would benefit Demons, no doubt you would say 'no' but think both teams would be winners

Believe Demons need experienced back flanker who can break the lines ahead of a young mid while Blues could use an immediate hard mid in the line up... Win-Win

Question if you did have to sacrifice a player out of Christian or Angus, who would it be?

I have a Blues trade for you that think would benefit Demons, no doubt you would say 'no' but think both teams would be winners

Believe Demons need experienced back flanker who can break the lines ahead of a young mid while Blues could use an immediate hard mid in the line up... Win-Win

Neither because our biggest needs by far is midfield hence why we need to keep both, our midfield needs to grow and develop together.

Trading either of them for the likes of Gibbs/Hanley who are both good players but not unique players makes no sense from a Melbourne POV.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back