Traded Liam Jones to Carlton for pick 46

Remove this Banner Ad

This is where I don't think Carlton get it. Pick 46 isn't a rubbish pick for a rebuilding team. Guys like Daniel, Corey Gregson, dean gore and Jackson Nelson were available and would be in the top handful of young players on carlton's list right now.

Except I don't believe Malthouse, at the start of the season, saw Carlton as being anything other than a finals aspirant.
He's previously had relative success with recycled players. Carlton were in need of another tall forward and Malthouse thought he could bring consistency into Jones' game.

I mentioned earlier in this thread;
A microcosm of Jones' career;
2014 Rd 13 v Collingwood 16 disp 5 marks 4 goals 6 tackles
2014 Rd 15 v Melbourne 1 disp 0 marks 0 scores 3 tackles (subbed off at 3QT)

Malthouse clearly believed he could achieve the former on a regular basis.
If that were the case then Pick 46 for a 23yo 198cm player with 60+ games experience was not excessive.

Carlton took a risk, that I didn't think would be successful, but for a team that considered themselves as a finals contender I don't think it was unreasonable.

By any measure their miscalculation as to where they sit and their subsequent list management decisions have set them back 4 years in one off season. Amazingly unsuccessful October for the Blues.

Very happy with this trade from a dogs perspective.

Went to the vfl yesterday, jones had a grand total of three touches and no goals, despite having a set shot from 25m out.

Pick 46 made his debut last night as a sub and got 9 disposals and a goal in his first quarter, before also getting a goal assist in the fourth on his way to 14 touches

went to the game aswell, Daniel actually sparked the dogs into action in that second half, love the little guy.
I was hoping The Dons would of picked him with our 37 but we ended up with a cooked spud in Cooney.

Pleased to see Daniel do well, I wanted us to draft him so badly.

When I saw the Dogs had taken him with the pick we gave up for Jones, I knew it wouldn't be long until we looked like draft/trade morons. Again.

Liam Jones was pathetic at the dogs. Why would Carlton think he would be any better playing for them?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

That's what Jones does to you. Kicks 4 against the Pies and chases down Clinton Young like a mad man. Following week. Bugger all. Kept thinking one day he'll take mark of the year one day. He still might but his tank/work rate is really poor.

Him and Jarrad Grant were always running last and second last in our time trials. Grants tank is still poor but I don't think I can remember a year where he has worked harder. Jones only has another 2 years or so to lift. Don't think another club takes the plunge on him.

That's what Jones does to you. Kicks 4 against the Pies and chases down Clinton Young like a mad man. Following week. Bugger all. Kept thinking one day he'll take mark of the year one day. He still might but his tank/work rate is really poor.

Him and Jarrad Grant were always running last and second last in our time trials. Grants tank is still poor but I don't think I can remember a year where he has worked harder. Jones only has another 2 years or so to lift. Don't think another club takes the plunge on him.

Grant is chasing another contract. His good form and effort seems to coincide with him coming out of contract...

Have to take what you can get in regards to Premierships, though :)

May have to be a unique structure where Jones may flourish. Not sure we've got that though.

I know that sounded like a smart arse comment but I was serious. He was a premiership hero in the VFL.

Jones' main problem is his poor tank and lack of 2nd and 3rd efforts. He is not a #1 KPF because he almost needs to be 3rd man up to be effective. He gets outbodied far too easily. He either takes the mark or is out of the contest completely.

All the players who left us last year are now in teams below us on the ladder. Teams that were above us last year. There is every chance we'll make finals while they weigh their teams down.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back