Preview AFL Round 19-Geelong Cats vs Sydney Swans, Saturday 8th August 7.20pm, Simonds Stadium

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
If Menzel plays well in the VFL this week and runs out game well they would have to be awfully tempted to bring him back for the Hawks game you would think.

I don't think I could stomach it.

Too many bad memories plus Hawthorn are a pack of thug scum and are likely to try and injure him.

So the obvious bit is Stokes for Johnson. Then it's a case of whether they find a spot for GHS (Lang the obvious candidate). I think Bews would be some chance to replace Thurlow too.

I have had similar thoughts but in that case it likely leaves Cockatoo as sub again and I am not convinced that is ideal for him or team.

Maybe keep Lang in as sub and give Cockatoo a full game in VFL.

If Menzel plays well in the VFL this week and runs out game well they would have to be awfully tempted to bring him back for the Hawks game you would think.
How many games do they want him to play well and run out before getting off their arses and selecting him ?
Lose this week and they may as well pull the pin on him for the year.He could be a big advantage in the seniors this week with numbnuts out,but no let's send him to a ground with a surface that has been dodgy over the years to play a pissy VFL game.

DQ moment OVER !!! ;)

I have had similar thoughts but in that case it likely leaves Cockatoo as sub again and I am not convinced that is ideal for him or team.

Maybe keep Lang in as sub and give Cockatoo a full game in VFL.
Cockatoo is going to be a gun but if we're serious about winning this game and trying to make the finals then he must be put back to the VFL for this match.

Remember the number of the guy he couldn't catch that night.
images

Gore for Lang perhaps but Kersten is playing well, when will people realise this? Modern AFL in some roles is just as much if not more about pressure acts, creating space, blocking, and assists than just getting possessions or kicking goals etc. I'm sounding like a broken record but Kersten's role is as a defensive forward. The MC have made a lot of mistakes this year but persisting with Kersten is definitely not one of them. Also just for the record Kersten has played in 11 games this year and we've won 8 of them, we also as a team average 93 points a game with him in the team v 80 as a team average over the whole year - that stat surely is more than mere coincidence, he clearly has a positive effect on the structure and functionality of our forward line.

That's a great post BlightysCats
Coaching is extremely comlex and giving players roles is often not appreciated in this Stats focused world.
Look at Bartel in GF09 - if he doesn't reign Hayes in with 12 tackles after 1/4 time we probably lose. I think Bews and Kersten are two good examples where stats don't reflect their overall contribution.
At the moment we have a solid balance and whilst we are winning ugly we are banking the 4 points:)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

How many games do they want him to play well and run out before getting off their arses and selecting him ?
Lose this week and they may as well pull the pin on him for the year.He could be a big advantage in the seniors this week with numbnuts out,but no let's send him to a ground with a surface that has been dodgy over the years to play a pissy VFL game.

DQ moment OVER !!! ;)
They have targets that need to be met. They know how he's pulling up after each game, how hard it would be to run out the VFL games with no preseason and having missed 4 years of footy. Jub, put away your tiara and put your thinking cap on. We have waited 4 years for this boy to play. I am prepared to wait another 6 months if it means the knees will hold up and not go again.

Maybe he will even have a half game, just to manage his time. Let's not flog him to death before he's ready to face the crowds of adoring fans.

From watching the games you would probably say we are gifting games to Kersten and Lang. Both have done some nice things but are not influencing games in any major way. I just think GFC thinks they will make the grade and just need time.

Murdoch has improved generally but still has the capacity to go missing but is definitely on the improve - and it seems they will do the same with Kersten and Lang.

For this week, as if we win (and that will be a hard task indeed), we will play finals. If we lose it will still be possible but harder to make the 8. So best team in this week. Stokes back in for Cocky and maybe Bews for Lang or Kersten.

If Lang and Kersten come on and Murdoch gains consistency (next season) we will be a pretty strong side - and if we add Stanley, Clark and Danger (and dare I say it Menzel) we could be even a top 4 side IMO.

Needs to be far more desperate to make things happen than waiting for the ball to come his way, yes he might make some assists whatever, but that's going to happen since he's planted in the forward half.
Most of the time he's underwhelming at best, very rarely breaks double figures and looks half hearted at times. I wouldn't pump up his tyres on the back of others hard work using team stats, totally irrelevant.
I'd play Jansen.
Well I'll expand on the stat I gave you about Kersten in the team 93 v the team average points over the whole year 80 by telling you that with Kersten in the team we average 93 points a game without Kersten we average a meagre 74 points a game. So he on average makes just over a 3 goal difference to our score. Again it seems fairly logical to me that from such a differential in scores you'd have to deduce that the guy is having a distinctly positive impact on our ability to score.

This is pathetic. Last time this happened a man died. A man has been booed. Spot the difference. I'm just about done with AFL I think I'll just go watch Bell Park on Saturday. Pathetic

Sent from my GT-I8730 using Tapatalk
Probably under orders from the social workers and bleeding hearts at AFL HQ

This is pathetic. Last time this happened a man died. A man has been booed. Spot the difference. I'm just about done with AFL I think I'll just go watch Bell Park on Saturday. Pathetic

Don't worry - running through the banner only takes up thirty seconds, max. It probably shouldn't ruin your entire evening - lest the Banner Incident traumatises you such that you can't stop replaying it in your mind while the actual game is on.

Don't worry - running through the banner only takes up thirty seconds, max. It probably shouldn't ruin your entire evening - lest the Banner Incident traumatises you such that you can't stop replaying it in your mind while the actual game is on.
It's ok I'm a bad supporter I went home early in Enrights 300th. I pay $600 a year reserved seats I'll not boo a player. I'll not receive a free jumper like the people who signed up for 3 game membership in August for $75. Screw this

It's ok I'm a bad supporter I went home early in Enrights 300th. I pay $600 a year reserved seats I'll not boo a player. I'll not receive a free jumper like the people who signed up for 3 game membership in August for $75. Screw this

wtf? is this true?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back