2015 Trade/FA Discussion (cont. in Pt.2)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I love how people keep thinking Carlton tanked. My take is that they just can't help but lose.
Grimley had everything to play for in the VFL grand final, and was pathetic. The Hawks board gave it to him....deservedly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Can we sign Sam Grimley as a delisted free agent?

I would prefer we didn't. With Close and Freeman developing, and the additions of Walker & (hopefully) Schache things are starting to look much stronger for us up forward. I would rather see a spot on our rookie list go to an academy player.

Aish backflip stunned Lions

BRISBANE Lions believed James Aish was going to re-sign at the club just days before he requested a trade to Collingwood.

The Herald Sun can reveal coach Justin Leppitsch was left in no doubt Aish would recommit at the club after speaking with the second-year midfielder a fortnight ago.

Lions’ list chief Peter Schwab prepared a new contract for Aish to sign on Thursday, October 8, and was stunned when the playmaker informed the club he wanted to be traded to Collingwood.

The move was sealed on the final day of the trade period on Thursday, costing the Magpies pick No. 26 and a second-round selection next year, among a swap of other selections with the Kangaroos.

Brisbane champion Jonathan Brown was also convinced Aish, 19, was staying after lengthy recent conversations with the wingman.

Brisbane chief executive Greg Swann would not comment on Aish’s backflip when contacted by the Herald Sun.

There's a deal on the table for Bewick. He believes he can get two years elsewhere and is probably right. I'd say 90% he resigns.

They only included the teams considered 'winners'. We lost Redden, Aish and Leuey and picked up a bunch of B/C graders. We did as well as we could under the circumstances, but I certainly wouldn't have called us winners, even with the setup for the academy picks. If the question is "who was the biggest winner", I'd much rather have Geelong's trades than ours.

Personally, I don't know that we really won a single trade. I thought we lost the Leuey trade (understandably - no one knew the AFL were going to change the rules half way through the game), tied the Redden & Bell trades and perhaps a minor win in the Geelong trade... Maybe... And the Aish trade I reckon we did OK on compensation but came out looking like a complete rabble... I don't think we appeared unreasonable in the trade but we completely failed to control the narrative and came out very uncoordinated.

Not trying to be negative - I reckon the club did as well as possible under the circumstances, but when the question is "who was the biggest winner", I wouldn't have us top-10. I was surprised that North weren't on that list though... They didn't catch much of what they aimed for, but with their ins and outs I still had them solidly in the green.
Wow interpretation is everyone thing.. Go pat a puppy or something.
Disagree with 70% of this

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

There's a deal on the table for Bewick. He believes he can get two years elsewhere and is probably right. I'd say 90% he resigns.

Thanks mate.

Can't speak for everyone but I expected him to hang around given how he was handling himself at year's end. Would love to know what happened

If the report is true it sounds like there are two possibilities:

A) someone got to Aish and convinced him to leave at the last moment despite him intending to re-sign.

Or

B) Aish and Pickering were playing us for whatever reason. They wanted us to think he would re-sign right up until the last moment.

If it was A) then it probably suggests that Aish was never terribly convinced he should re-sign and some persuasion pushed him to nominate Collingwood late in the piece. It would have to be some strong influence from outside our club. And would also seem that Aish is a not-very-strong character at all to be unable or unwilling to stand up to the external pressure. So the pressure could only be: Collingwood, Pickering, his family (but not for him to go home?) or someone else with persuasive power (Scharenberg?).

If it was B) then it probably suggests that Aish was always going to leave and was trying to make us think otherwise because....he wanted to minimise the pressure we might put on him if he announced early? He really hates the Lions and wanted to cause the greatest difficulty for us? He really loves the Pies and wanted to assist them to cause us maximum problems? He was instructed by the Pies to let us think he was staying so that he could spring the trade request on us and in our panic, they would get him cheaply? Who knows...all of them would be the acts of a scumbag.

In the end, either way, he is gone and good riddance. If he told the club right up to the end he was staying and then in the next breath would only accept a trade to Collingwood, he does not sound like the type of player we want here. And we got what we need from the trade.

I suspect that whatever does eventually come out will be skewed to make the Lions look like a rabble or having a poor culture or whatever the narrative happens to be that day. And really...they are going to say whatever they want anyway. We will be made out to be the bad guys. The truth will almost certainly be different.

In his place we will get guys who want to be here and that is good enough for me. Talent is only one factor that matters. Commitment matters just as much. It probably confirms what some thought about Aish from quite early on - just something not quite right about him.

Down the track, we might look back on this trade as one of the best things that have happened to us in recent years - a bullet dodged.

Thanks mate.

Can't speak for everyone but I expected him to hang around given how he was handling himself at year's end. Would love to know what happened

He seems like a bit of a weird one. It will be interesting to see how he develops the next few years.

Down the track, we might look back on this trade as one of the best things that have happened to us in recent years - a bullet dodged.

There will be another phase of him trying to go "home".. we can definitely watch that with interest/popcorn. :p

Guys general question and not certain where to post...

We got any good father sons coming through in the next couple of seasons?

With the interchanges down to 90 next season (and I wonder if it'll decrease even more in the future), it's good that we traded in two players that have very good endurance. Both Bell and Bastinac are good runners (both ran 15.1 in the beep at their respective combines) so the change should help both their games.

If the report is true it sounds like there are two possibilities:

A) someone got to Aish and convinced him to leave at the last moment despite him intending to re-sign.

Or

B) Aish and Pickering were playing us for whatever reason. They wanted us to think he would re-sign right up until the last moment.

If it was A) then it probably suggests that Aish was never terribly convinced he should re-sign and some persuasion pushed him to nominate Collingwood late in the piece. It would have to be some strong influence from outside our club. And would also seem that Aish is a not-very-strong character at all to be unable or unwilling to stand up to the external pressure. So the pressure could only be: Collingwood, Pickering, his family (but not for him to go home?) or someone else with persuasive power (Scharenberg?).

If it was B) then it probably suggests that Aish was always going to leave and was trying to make us think otherwise because....he wanted to minimise the pressure we might put on him if he announced early? He really hates the Lions and wanted to cause the greatest difficulty for us? He really loves the Pies and wanted to assist them to cause us maximum problems? He was instructed by the Pies to let us think he was staying so that he could spring the trade request on us and in our panic, they would get him cheaply? Who knows...all of them would be the acts of a scumbag.

In the end, either way, he is gone and good riddance. If he told the club right up to the end he was staying and then in the next breath would only accept a trade to Collingwood, he does not sound like the type of player we want here. And we got what we need from the trade.

I suspect that whatever does eventually come out will be skewed to make the Lions look like a rabble or having a poor culture or whatever the narrative happens to be that day. And really...they are going to say whatever they want anyway. We will be made out to be the bad guys. The truth will almost certainly be different.

In his place we will get guys who want to be here and that is good enough for me. Talent is only one factor that matters. Commitment matters just as much. It probably confirms what some thought about Aish from quite early on - just something not quite right about him.

IIRC Scharenberg looked like walking out on Collingwood right until fairly late in the piece. That may have been part of this whole stage play - if he left the Pies, Aish saw no reason in heading there. When he re-signed Aish bought in.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back