Training 2015/16 preseason training (discussion)

Remove this Banner Ad

No point Brad being in Melbourne for the rookie draft as it's all done electronically from each club's HQ.
E Shed & salim malik Thanks Nickos66. I have just become aware that the Rookie draft is done electronically from each club's HQ and I understand it's on at 11.00 AEDT and updated on the Draft Tracker on AFL.com.au. So maybe we will see the boys at training tomorrow (Friday) morning.By the time training starts we should know who we have got in the draft and that we have got Mora.

You would think with Tuker, Balic and Collins flying in to Perth last night that they will make an appearance at the club today or at least be around the club. There isn't much point them being in Perth and not going to the Club. Surely as a draftee that would be the first thing you would want to do, get in to the club and see what its all about.

You would think with Tuker, Balic and Collins flying in to Perth last night that they will make an appearance at the club today or at least be around the club. There isn't much point them being in Perth and not going to the Club. Surely as a draftee that would be the first thing you would want to do, get in to the club and see what its all about.

TBH how many professions move people interstate and get them to start work that same week?

Long session this morning consisting of skill work with the footballs and kicking for goal. Walters continues with his strong work ethic,brilliant skills and outstanding foot skills. If Harley or Shane need a mentor Sonny is their man. Lachie also working hard and leading in the runs albeit there was little running and the emphasis was on skill and ball work. Irish coming along nicely and running well. Tabs and Hannath worked with a trainer away from the group after the normal session and again worked really hard. Weller has grown ,put on weight and Hughes is turning into a beast, very close to KP size.
Mora completed a full session then worked with a trainer on aerobic drills and left the track exhausted. Bennell also training well. As E Shed stated he is the second best player on our list now. Sonny was very vocal pushing the boys to work harder ,he is definitely leadership material. Clancee ,Sutcliffe ,Brady ran laps. Apeness walked laps and after every one had left the track he came out and was dragging heavy weight around the ground .That must be a good sign. All the newbies where there and did a long camera shoot after training. All the news outlets were there so should be on all the channels tonight. Great to catch up with E Shed.Coulda,Gaskin and Danny the Doorman.

I can confirm the new kids were there today, as was a very decent contingent of us old fossils and a few younger BF regulars.
The kids didn't do much just hung around on the step although no doubt they were doing things inside.
It was a very interesting session, almost entirely ball movement and skills and it was very impressive.

I really got sense of the next generation coming through today, the club has assembled an extremely talented young group.
There was a palpable air of drive and determination coming from the young leaders like Neale, Crozier and particularly Walters.
At one point when they were getting a drink Croz yelled "c'mon every session counts" and Walters replied "set the standard for when the boys come back next week".

The players that stood out the most to me were Bennell, Walters, Morabito, Alex Pearce, Blakely, Weller, Langdon and Ethan Hughes. Hughes particularly looks much bigger and was moving beautifully. Weller seems also to have filled out noticeably, if his brother is anything to go by he might end up with a really decent build. Blakely was so clean and his kicking which has been the focus of some discussion was powerful and accurate.

Morabito as has been reported earlier in the week is completely free of strapping or support and was running and kicking powerfully. He did all the drills and really stood out at times with his power and skill.

Walters looks better every year, he looks ripped and fit and his kicking was a wonder to behold. They did one drill where players stood in the middle of a line of 3 and player 1 kicked (over about 20M to player 2 who wheeled as quickly as possibly in the opposite direction and kicked to player 3 (also about 20M away). Sonny's kicking in this was like tracer bullets with an almost completely flat trajectory and pinpoint accuracy.

Its going to get mighty interesting around selection time, I hope the coaches have the vision and guts to start injecting some of the young talent waiting in the wings. Great to catch up with some mates from here today.

Long session this morning consisting of skill work with the footballs and kicking for goal. Walters continues with his strong work ethic,brilliant skills and outstanding foot skills. If Harley or Shane need a mentor Sonny is their man. Lachie also working hard and leading in the runs albeit there was little running and the emphasis was on skill and ball work. Irish coming along nicely and running well. Tabs and Hannath worked with a trainer away from the group after the normal session and again worked really hard. Weller has grown ,put on weight and Hughes is turning into a beast, very close to KP size.
Mora completed a full session then worked with a trainer on aerobic drills and left the track exhausted. Bennell also training well. As E Shed stated he is the second best player on our list now. Sonny was very vocal pushing the boys to work harder ,he is definitely leadership material. Clancee ,Sutcliffe ,Brady ran laps. Apeness walked laps and after every one had left the track he came out and was dragging heavy weight around the ground .That must be a good sign. All the newbies where there and did a long camera shoot after training. All the news outlets were there so should be on all the channels tonight. Great to catch up with E Shed.Coulda,Gaskin and Danny the Doorman.
As usual thanks salim.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not much to add to what has been said.

I will add that Hurley deserves some love. He fit, a great size and his skills have improved out of sight from when he first rocked up. If he can put together a good, consistent year of WAFL then I can see him making the transition to the main list.

[QUOTE="salim malik, post: 42139381, member: 54345" Irish coming along nicely and running well. [/QUOTE]
How is his tan coming along?

Some good reading today I always enjoy E Sheds reports.

I really hope Walters gets into the leadership group this season. He and Neale have clearly set the standard this pre season.

They both have terrific work ethics and Walters communication skills display leadership qualities.

Well I got down to training and caught up with the usual posters and had my first look at the players .
Walters , Clancee ,Sutcliffe and Neale look in great shape . Hannath ,Grey and Sheridan have trimmed down .
Morra as others have mentioned doing agility work and when the boys were kicking the ball . Bennell , Walters and Morra were the standouts .
Sean Hurley has improved his kicking as well. Sean struggled with the heat and had to have a break to get his body temp down before he could complete the training session.
Clancee and Sutcliffe ran laps which at the end of each lap were doing press ups .
Mike Apness was walking about but is still in recovery , We had a few words and then he was in the gym doing a weights session .
RTB was on the field when the boys were doing football skills and one of the routines was all about hitting players with kicks of 30 meters off a couple of steps and the other one with the player going well back from the mark then moving side ways and kicking to a player on the move further up the ground .
Bennell and Son Son were once again the standouts
The boys were in good spirits and quite vocal . There was a good attitude out there and genuine friendship happening between the players and coaches .
RBT had a few words with the new coaches and the players were engaging with them during the session ,Ross was quite relaxed but keeping a close eye on proceedings . He called the players in to have a quiet word and the whistle only got a blast a couple of times .Not pats on the back just a few words of encouragement .
Alex Pearce fans will be happy to hear that he looks good but still needs some more work on developing his body in the GYM .We won't know where he will be playing for a while yet because match up won't be explored till the older players are on the track .

I can confirm the new kids were there today, as was a very decent contingent of us old fossils and a few younger BF regulars.
The kids didn't do much just hung around on the step although no doubt they were doing things inside.
It was a very interesting session, almost entirely ball movement and skills and it was very impressive.

I really got sense of the next generation coming through today, the club has assembled an extremely talented young group.
There was a palpable air of drive and determination coming from the young leaders like Neale, Crozier and particularly Walters.
At one point when they were getting a drink Croz yelled "c'mon every session counts" and Walters replied "set the standard for when the boys come back next week".

The players that stood out the most to me were Bennell, Walters, Morabito, Alex Pearce, Blakely, Weller, Langdon and Ethan Hughes. Hughes particularly looks much bigger and was moving beautifully. Weller seems also to have filled out noticeably, if his brother is anything to go by he might end up with a really decent build. Blakely was so clean and his kicking which has been the focus of some discussion was powerful and accurate.

Morabito as has been reported earlier in the week is completely free of strapping or support and was running and kicking powerfully. He did all the drills and really stood out at times with his power and skill.

Walters looks better every year, he looks ripped and fit and his kicking was a wonder to behold. They did one drill where players stood in the middle of a line of 3 and player 1 kicked (over about 20M to player 2 who wheeled as quickly as possibly in the opposite direction and kicked to player 3 (also about 20M away). Sonny's kicking in this was like tracer bullets with an almost completely flat trajectory and pinpoint accuracy.

Its going to get mighty interesting around selection time, I hope the coaches have the vision and guts to start injecting some of the young talent waiting in the wings. Great to catch up with some mates from here today.

this made me smile, cheers for the reports lads. feels like its going to be an enjoyable pre season.

Hey guys a question about Apeness. What is his body shape looking like? I know when we first got him he had some puppy fat but was still quite a big lump of a lad. Does he have a bit more muscle definition and physically look stronger than he has in the past? Thanks in advance

They were at training today looking on and in their Dockers gear. They may have done a presser today as 6PR had some grabs.

Just an addendum, something Salim said in the media thread you can see that the new coaches are having an impact already. Almost everything they did today was focus around skills, either drilling a particular skill or using it in transition and there was a lot of short to medium accurate kicking.
Some of the transition was really exciting seeing Bennell receive and turn quickly and off either foot deliver with precision to Walters who then hits Morabito lace out at full speed. That kind of thing got my blood pumping!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back