Training 2015/16 preseason training (discussion)

Remove this Banner Ad

Attended training for the first time this season.

I met Danny the Doorman and spent a lovely hour or so sitting on the terraces under a Morton Bay fig with JMT, his cutie pie daughter and Gaskin.

It is hard to know what to report. The main thing that interested me was that when the players were split into groups the forwards structured with Pav, Griff and Tabs inside 50 and Sonny, Mayne and Ed Langdon playing as high half forwards delivering inside 50. Then for a while Pav moved to high half forward with Mayne inside 50. As this was all about movement and there was no defense it is hard to comment on how things went.

There were some exercises in short, sharp handball that I had not seen before, and some keeping off type games with shortish kicking. There was also some half ground ball movement, but no full ground ball movement.

I met Danny the Doorman and spent a lovely hour or so sitting on the terraces under a Morton Bay fig with JMT, his cutie pie daughter and Gaskin.

It is hard to know what to report. The main thing that interested me was that when the players were split into groups the forwards structured with Pav, Griff and Tabs inside 50 and Sonny, Mayne and Ed Langdon playing as high half forwards delivering inside 50. Then for a while Pav moved to high half forward with Mayne inside 50. As this was all about movement and there was no defense it is hard to comment on how things went.

There were some exercises in short, sharp handball that I had not seen before, and some keeping off type games with shortish kicking. There was also some half ground ball movement, but no full ground ball movement.
A much appreciated training report.

Langdon had been reported as seriously limping last week I think so that is good news.

Thank you it was nice talking to you and my girl had fun hanging out too. :)

You pretty much have covered most although I'd like to add how developed both Weller and Blakely look.

Both myself and dockerfemme noticed Niase training with the senior mids and looking really skilled. I honestly believe and I've said it before we have a great rookie pick there.

I've been a bit critical of Tanner in the past but he looks terrific this pre season.

The indigenous footy player from the AIS looks a real talent. I'm sure he'll go fairly early in the draft but that's a long way down the track.

Last edited:
Not much to add to the reports above but will give it a crack.

A real emphasis on moving the ball inside 50 with the forwards with the guys mentioned above (Sonny, Mayne, Langdon, Pav, Tabs and Griff) all working on their leading patterns, spacing and working as a unit. This seems to be the main reason Hale was bought over as he and Rock were running the drill and educating the players. Tabs still seems to have a bit to learn but is more vocal than I remember and working hard on his game. Can report Langdon came out a bit later and did some kick to kick with Spurr but then was involved in this drill and others after getting the all clear. Walters kicking was sublime as usual.

Of the others I will try my best to go through each of them and my recollections although I don;t know all of the young boys yet and may have missed some of them and not noticed others so don't take it as gospel. Ballas was pounding out the laps and looks super fit. Wasn't involved in the forward drills today as he was on his own program but looks as fit as I have seen him. Mora was involved in the full session and his kicking was precise and body looks good to go. Dawson was with the defenders and was his usual upbeat self joking with the players etc. Didn't see Harley Bennell out there today but may have missed him? Ibbo was pumping out the laps as well and he too looks really fit. "Darryl" Pearce was running well and kicks the ball beautifully in training.

Didn't see Nat out there today or Subes but again I may have missed them. DeBoer was working hard as usual and trained well. Didn't notice Tommy Sheridan? Tendai is super fit as we know and always seems to train well and find the footy in the competitive drills. Lachie Weller has definitely bulked up a bit and his skills were top notch as usual. Didn't notice Ethan Hughes out there today? Mundy seems to cruise around at training but rarely misses a target. Crozier was pumping out the laps with Ballas and wasn't quite as quick but is in good nick. Darcy Tucker is still light on but his skills were polished from what I saw and looks a prospect. Blakely missed a few kicks so that is something he needs to work on but his hands are elite in close. Barlow was his usual self and also did some laps between the group work and was covering the ground with ease.

Tanner Smith seems to have grown in confidence and added to his frame and competes hard during training. Didn't notice Harley Balic out there today but I presume he was. APearce looked in ripping condition and was strong above his head and used the ball well in the transition/short kicking drills. Lachie Neale is another was who works his backside off in training and is fitter than ever. I didn't notice Brady Grey or Zac Clarke out there today so I presume they were working inside or rehabbing? Sandi impressed me with his speed off the mark and is working on his body work in marking situations.

Stephen Hill glides across the turf and his skills are elite along with Walters who are the standout kicks clearly. Didn't notice Cam Sutcliffe today and Spurr was just running laps at a good rate. Apeness was not involved in the session and I don't remember seeing Alex Silvagni either. MJ was another running laps with Ibbo and his body seems good as he was notching up the Km's. Jack Hannath looks a bit quicker than previous years but still needs to improve in one on ones and improve his kicking around the ground. De Luca wasn't involved today either from what I saw.

Sam Collins was impressive today in the drills with the other defenders and short kicking drills (hope it was him and not Uber) so I think he will be pushing for a spot if any of our KPD's go down. Shane Yarran wasn't involved I don't think and was probably resting the knee or rehabbing inside. Matt Uebergang looks a lot like Collins so not sure if he was out there or not or if I got them confused? Ryan Nyhaus looks a neat player and uses the ball well - the Duffield comparisons seem pretty fair. Of the others Hurley was doing laps with Ballas and Croz and was running really well and even sticking with Ballantyne and in front of Croz most of the way. Clancee i didn't see on the track today but may have missed him with his new hair cut?

Of the academy players, Sam Seton is smooth and uses the ball well and doesn't look out of his depth training with the AFL boys. I didn't notice Noah Hura? and can't remember seeing much of Luke Strnadica either but he is a good size from what I saw the other day.

Hope that helps and apologies I missed some of the boys but it is tough with 40/50 out there and several newbies.

The TTHD award would have to go to Sonny Walters who was vocal and his left boot was unbelievable and close behind were Mora, Hill and Weller in my opinion.

A real emphasis on moving the ball inside 50 with the forwards with the guys mentioned above (Sonny, Mayne, Langdon, Pav, Tabs and Griff) all working on their leading patterns, spacing and working as a unit. This seems to be the main reason Hale was bought over as he and Rock were running the drill and educating the players. Tabs still seems to have a bit to learn but is more vocal than I remember and working hard on his game. Can report Langdon came out a bit later and did some kick to kick with Spurr but then was involved in this drill and others after getting the all clear. Walters kicking was sublime as usual.

Of the others I will try my best to go through each of them and my recollections although I don;t know all of the young boys yet and may have missed some of them and not noticed others so don't take it as gospel. Ballas was pounding out the laps and looks super fit. Wasn't involved in the forward drills today as he was on his own program but looks as fit as I have seen him. Mora was involved in the full session and his kicking was precise and body looks good to go. Dawson was with the defenders and was his usual upbeat self joking with the players etc. Didn't see Harley Bennell out there today but may have missed him? Ibbo was pumping out the laps as well and he too looks really fit. "Darryl" Pearce was running well and kicks the ball beautifully in training.

Didn't see Nat out there today or Subes but again I may have missed them. DeBoer was working hard as usual and trained well. Didn't notice Tommy Sheridan? Tendai is super fit as we know and always seems to train well and find the footy in the competitive drills. Lachie Weller has definitely bulked up a bit and his skills were top notch as usual. Didn't notice Ethan Hughes out there today? Mundy seems to cruise around at training but rarely misses a target. Crozier was pumping out the laps with Ballas and wasn't quite as quick but is in good nick. Darcy Tucker is still light on but his skills were polished from what I saw and looks a prospect. Blakely missed a few kicks so that is something he needs to work on but his hands are elite in close. Barlow was his usual self and also did some laps between the group work and was covering the ground with ease.

Tanner Smith seems to have grown in confidence and added to his frame and competes hard during training. Didn't notice Harley Balic out there today but I presume he was. APearce looked in ripping condition and was strong above his head and used the ball well in the transition/short kicking drills. Lachie Neale is another was who works his backside off in training and is fitter than ever. I didn't notice Brady Grey or Zac Clarke out there today so I presume they were working inside or rehabbing? Sandi impressed me with his speed off the mark and is working on his body work in marking situations.

Stephen Hill glides across the turf and his skills are elite along with Walters who are the standout kicks clearly. Didn't notice Cam Sutcliffe today and Spurr was just running laps at a good rate. Apeness was not involved in the session and I don't remember seeing Alex Silvagni either. MJ was another running laps with Ibbo and his body seems good as he was notching up the Km's. Jack Hannath looks a bit quicker than previous years but still needs to improve in one on ones and improve his kicking around the ground. De Luca wasn't involved today either from what I saw.

Sam Collins was impressive today in the drills with the other defenders and short kicking drills (hope it was him and not Uber) so I think he will be pushing for a spot if any of our KPD's go down. Shane Yarran wasn't involved I don't think and was probably resting the knee or rehabbing inside. Matt Uebergang looks a lot like Collins so not sure if he was out there or not or if I got them confused? Ryan Nyhaus looks a neat player and uses the ball well - the Duffield comparisons seem pretty fair. Of the others Hurley was doing laps with Ballas and Croz and was running really well and even sticking with Ballantyne and in front of Croz most of the way. Clancee i didn't see on the track today but may have missed him with his new hair cut?

Of the academy players, Sam Seton is smooth and uses the ball well and doesn't look out of his depth training with the AFL boys. I didn't notice Noah Hura? and can't remember seeing much of Luke Strnadica either but he is a good size from what I saw the other day.

Hope that helps and apologies I missed some of the boys but it is tough with 40/50 out there and several newbies.

The TTHD award would have to go to Sonny Walters who was vocal and his left boot was unbelievable and close behind were Mora, Hill and Weller in my opinion.

Most if the guts you said you thought weren't out there was correct.

I'm glad you noticed Nyhais training well and Weller looking good because he seems to have taken a big step since thus time last year.
Tanner also.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Most if the guts you said you thought weren't out there was correct.

I'm glad you noticed Nyhais training well and Weller looking good because he seems to have taken a big step since thus time last year.
Tanner also.
But does he ever not look good?

Oh... you mean good at football?

Clems Knee Clarke is part of the 12 players in the Rehab Group which includes Harley Bennell that were in the Gym most of the morning today and came out near the end of the session to do some handball stuff. Clarke also did some palming of the ball to Sutty I think it was and to Fyfey. Brady Grey is one of the rehab group as he has had a shoulder operation post season and he told us that the rehab guys are working on a different schedule and that the guys who have had shoulder ops are working together within that group.

Last edited:

Great Report Mate and those that you missed seeing were in the rehab group wich in their last drill today had 12 participants and included Bennell, Fyfe, Clarke, Suban,Yarran, Silvagni etc)

Thank you it was nice talking to you and my girl had fun hanging out too. :)

You pretty much have covered most although I'd like to add how developed both Weller and Blakely look.

Both myself and dockerfemme noticed Niase training with the senior mids and looking really skilled. I honestly believe and I've said it before we have a great rookie pick there.

I've been a bit critical of Tanner in the past but he looks terrific this pre season.

The indigenous footy player from the AIS looks a real talent. I'm sure he'll go fairly early in the draft but that's a long way down the track.

I saw you over near the scoreboard. I was nearby.

Yep so here's an example of the bulking some bodybuilders go through in the offseason - though I think such extreme 'bulk and cut' cycles are starting to go out of fashion these days. AFL players obviously don't have the 'luxury' of being able to put on excess weight like this and then cut back - although from the looks of those pics someone posted a few weeks ago Motlop from Geelong might have given it a shot this offseason.

bulking-before-after-lee-priest.jpg

It's hard to say which of those photos is the more repulsive. Nah. The pin head gets it.

dockerfemme It was good to catch up and put a name to a face as they say.Well done on your report.

Thanks for the reports. They excited me a little bit. So much to look forward to next season hey.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back