Training 2015/16 preseason training (discussion)

Remove this Banner Ad

I think there has been quite a few occasions when players have been given games even though not fully fit. Clarke and his ribs in 14 barely impacting the game. Mayne and his ankle in 14 against Sydney. My memory is hazy but Macca in 14 against Geelong only managed a half. Fyfe on 15 in multiple games clearly wasn't even close to 100%. I'm sure there are more but i think these would have been judgement calls, not hitting all right fitness markers.[/QUOTE]

Yes fair points. I think the debate is more often centered around players like Langdon and Weller replacing players like Suban and de Boer. I have little doubt that this will occur when they are ready and have demonstrated that they have the capacity to contribute across a full game. Lyon is not looking for the flashes of individual brilliance to win us a game that Bicco is perhaps suggesting we lack, and that players such as Weller or Simpson offer in their early stages. He is looking for consistency across the entire game.

So if I made it to training about 9.30-10 tomorrow would that be too late? And where would I find you fine fellas?

Unsure as they have been starting around about 8:30-9:00 but on Wednesday they didn't come out until about 9:30. I'd say try and make it between 9-9:30. I won't be there tomorrow as my mum and grandma are going on a cruise tomorrow morning and I'm giving them a lift but the other guys should be up near the rooms.

Spent a short time down at Freo Oval this morning and I was very impressed with what I saw. It was a beautiful day, not too hot with sun shining. I rode my bike along the coast and the ocean looked absolutely beautiful. These Vic boys must come over here and think it's paradise with our beaches.
Anyway, there was a large contingent down there today with a lot on the track. I couldn't see Pav or Fyfe, but what I did see was a lot of practicing of low , flat short kicks to each other, and there was some beautiful worm burners on display, namely from Sony, Barra,Morra even, and Croziers kicking was superb from what I saw. Ballas was running laps alongside Sandi and it looked quite comical I must say.
Anyway, I haven't got much time but I'm sure there will be more reports coming, as there was a lot down there today including the media. Still look really exciting for 2016 imo

930 to 10 is perfect timing. I and some others sit on the eastern side under the Morten Bay trees.

I should be there with my little girl so feel free to say hi.
Qantas didn't want me to come to training today. Stupid 2 hour flight delay. But I'll be down there tomorrow

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Great to read that about Morabito. Booming up and unders were more his trade mark, with a distinct lack of precision and an abundance of grunt. Mixing that up with a little bit of surgically inspired short passing will be handy.

Also exciting to get the reports on Crozier. I think he will be a player but there is a bit of a surge coming in terms of other options, and he would want to make sure he stays in front of that pack. Hope he can muscle it up a bit.

Should ask Johnson and Dawson to take tab in training any silly drop mark , stay back an hour or half hour practising his marking.

Should ask Johnson and Dawson to take tab in training any silly drop mark , stay back an hour or half hour practising his marking.

Tabs marks fine at training. It's just in a game situation where the pressure seems to get to him that he keeps dropping them

Tabs marks fine at training. It's just in a game situation where the pressure seems to get to him that he keeps dropping them
Exactly. I watched our Round 8 thumping of North the other day and Tabs dropped mark after mark after mark. But the boys kept kicking it to him. It was like a light switch went on late in the 3rd quarter because he finally started plucking a few and looking like a dangerous forward (admittedly the game was well over by then).

I just don't get what is holding him back? He seems to have the raw skills and gets himself in to enough space to take a grab but seems to be worried out of it almost every time. Is he concerned about being injured? Is it just confidence? Is he unable to focus in a real game situation? Or is it that he just doesn't know how to position his body to take a contested mark against AFL level opponents? Whichever it is he needs to solve it quickly because we can't afford to expend all that the energy to get it to the forward line only to have a simple mark be dropped. I think he needs to approach his marking like Mayne approaches tackling... Hit it like your life depends on it every time. His marking really does seem to be the only thing holding him back from becoming a quality tall forward - sounds like the coaches are already focussed on it with him based on the training reports.

Great to read that about Morabito. Booming up and unders were more his trade mark, with a distinct lack of precision and an abundance of grunt. Mixing that up with a little bit of surgically inspired short passing will be handy.

Also exciting to get the reports on Crozier. I think he will be a player but there is a bit of a surge coming in terms of other options, and he would want to make sure he stays in front of that pack. Hope he can muscle it up a bit.
Morra looks a million bucks. He's a specimen.

I just don't get what is holding him back? He seems to have the raw skills and gets himself in to enough space to take a grab but seems to be worried out of it almost every time. Is he concerned about being injured? Is it just confidence? Is he unable to focus in a real game situation? Or is it that he just doesn't know how to position his body to take a contested mark against AFL level opponents? Whichever it is he needs to solve it quickly because we can't afford to expend all that the energy to get it to the forward line only to have a simple mark be dropped.

He has a bit of Jack Watts syndrome. i don't think he likes to put his head over the footy or back into a pack. He looks a million bucks at training because everyone is going 80%.

He has a bit of Jack Watts syndrome. i don't think he likes to put his head over the footy or back into a pack. He looks a million bucks at training because everyone is going 80%.
Nah jack watts is no1 pick tab is rookie also remember in 2014 how he play against hawthorn.

2 main problem
1) his confident
2) our delivery to 50 is either slow or bombing high and hope. Is good to grab few contested mark, but non contested mark I don't mind also.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back