2016 Pre-Season (All news, press conferences, training reports, Photos)

Remove this Banner Ad

Thanks. That is pretty impressive (depending on who was marking him in those intra club games).

In terms of Cloke I think it is because they seem to have similar body types, at least in terms of shape though Schache does seem to take more marks on the lead and slightly fewer in a one on one contest than Cloke does.

Will be very interesting to see if Schache and do a Hogan and be instantly very good or if he will do what most key forwards do and take 3 or 4 years to really show how good they are.
I believe he played on Merrett and Andrews during the 2 matches.

Don't at all agree with any negativity re Red Rog. Still calling the shots down back- or woe betide.
Well that's good, was a bit concerned after POBT said he had a game to forget.

Thanks. That is pretty impressive (depending on who was marking him in those intra club games).

In terms of Cloke I think it is because they seem to have similar body types, at least in terms of shape though Schache does seem to take more marks on the lead and slightly fewer in a one on one contest than Cloke does.

Will be very interesting to see if Schache and do a Hogan and be instantly very good or if he will do what most key forwards do and take 3 or 4 years to really show how good they are.
Some fairly jaded curmudgeon-types that attended are currently grinning insanely like teens at a One Direction gig.

Fair to say he's ticking all the boxes.

Some fairly jaded curmudgeon-types that attended are currently grinning insanely like teens at a One Direction gig.

Fair to say he's ticking all the boxes.

Seen at training...

398312_472887316067115_1423280442_n.jpg

Thanks for everyone for posting the updated. Great to hear such positive results for Schache, Keays and Mathieson.

Must admit the one I was excited to read was Hipwood. The kid is still a couple of years (at least) physically from developing but is a legitimate size for a second ruckman/forward...to be able to find such space and be in a position to kick four goals is just nuts

Must admit the one I was excited to read was Hipwood. The kid is still a couple of years (at least) physically from developing but is a legitimate size for a second ruckman/forward...to be able to find such space and be in a position to kick four goals is just nuts

Athletically, he was blowing a bit towards the end, showing the difference between track fitness and game fitness. A couple of his goals were gifts but he shows a bit. Just needs to get a bit more game sense about him.

One thing about Hipwood is that he is happy to take his knocks. Didn't flinch any contests despite being clearly the skinniest bloke out there. He got belted in a couple of tackles but he got back up and straight into it.

Any1 know who has been watching if Tom Bell's disposal has improved at all since the pre-season begun?

If you're looking for finesse with Tom Bell, forget it. He is a strong, bull-like character with straight ahead characteristics. His kicking follows suit.

But that's ok- we need grunt, and he's got plenty of it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If you're looking for finesse with Tom Bell, forget it. He is a strong, bull-like character with straight ahead characteristics. His kicking follows suit.

Not looking for finesse but i do think that he needs to be able to hit targets. Whats the point in him having the ball if he turns it over 3 times out of 4.

Not looking for finesse but i do think that he needs to be able to hit targets. Whats the point in him having the ball if he turns it over 3 times out of 4.

Assuming he can kick into the 50 at least in a contested style, leave the pinpointing to your Rocks, Riches and Beamers.

And hopefully his goal kicking is up to scratch.

Preseason Injury News:

The major concern for the Lions comes with small forward Josh Green, who had surgery on his fractured right foot just three weeks ago. Green is touch-and-go for round one and only just starting to increase weight-bearing exercises. Star midfielder Dayne Beams is slowly ramping up his training following off-season shoulder surgery. His running has progressed well and he is expected to take part later in the NAB Challenge. Rugged defender Darcy Gardiner is on modified training after undergoing shoulder and ankle operations during the off-season. Gardiner has begun ball skills and basic change of direction and is expected to rejoin the main training group in coming weeks. Justin Clarke(concussion), Sam Mayes (tonsillitis), Dan McStay (hip flexor) and Josh Walker (knee) all have slight problems not expected to cost them too much time. – Michael Whiting

lumbering, that is the exact word i use when describing lesters movement style, he just looks so slow, hopefully he has improved in that area as there are things to like in the rest of his game. can see him fighting out for a spot with jared jansen and nick robertson.
another player i have got a bit of time for if he plays at his best consistently is rohan bewick, can anybody see him getting a regular gig this year? i think certain players who have had a few years in the system will be at the top of list management discussion re end of season delistings IMO they would be, rohan bewick (26 years old), claye beams (24), ryan lester (23), trent west (29 needs an injury free season), jackson paine (22 ditto re injury). although still very young matt hammellman (20) and the 3 josh's mcginness, watts and clayton need to show some positive signs this season in the NEAFL as well i feel to guarantee retention. our new found abundance of talls in the last few drafts puts a lot of pressure on hammellman.

edit: 6 josh's on the list is that an AFL record josh count?:)
From memory Clayton signed an extension late last year

Correct and we didn't exactly pay a Dayne Beams type ransom to get him

Remove this Banner Ad

Back