News Dons ASADA scandal (Latest: Pg 101 - CAS verdict. Guilty, 12 months.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Well they aren't really doing any labour whilst suspended and they are still getting 50k which is no kick in the teeth. Just happens it has to go to pay off their fine for drug offences. Stiff s**t, they will have to get a real job.
Agree all round, but as a rookie by being on the list there is some aflpa min amounts so I'm guessing it's that.
Doubt club has any real control.

Overall, they have a new chance next year and if they become better for it, all is forgiven, in my books. It's up to them now

You would hope they Learned there Lesson.

Yeah I think it be for Food and Bills. Said it for them to live Modestly
We can only hope they have. There actions have cost the club and possibly there careers.

Last edited:
By the time they finish their appeal the suspension will be finished, it's stupid. Suck it up already.
I was thinking the same thing. I guess they just want to clear their names of get off on a technicality. Its allot easier to proceed with an appeal when its someone else's money.

Last edited:
Agree all round, but as a rookie by being on the list there is some aflpa min amounts so I'm guessing it's that.
Doubt club has any real control.

Overall, they have a new chance next year and if they become better for it, all is forgiven, in my books. It's up to them now

Yep that's what Pert said today. They are lucky because Port and St Kilda are saying they have an in principle objection to banned players getting paid and asking Essendon to pay.

We could have rookied them next year and they would have been stuffed with their fines so they are lucky.

They are just getting standard rookie wages this year, 50-60k.

If they're being paid $50k, about $35k of that will go towards their fine, the rest will have to come out of their pockets:)

They will have to work. Thomas is a Uber driver, I'm not sure what Keeffe is doing, may be studying but I hope for their sake they put some money away early in their career when they were on 200-300k. But I doubt it.

They will have to work. Thomas is a Uber driver, I'm not sure what Keeffe is doing, may be studying but I hope for their sake they put some money away early in their career when they were on 200-300k. But I doubt it.

I'm a crusty old fart so take what I say with a grain of salt, but I'd like to see the lads earning say, 150k plus have to put 20% of their gross into a sort of super fund - accessible only after they retire (from footy)

I'm a crusty old fart so take what I say with a grain of salt, but I'd like to see the lads earning say, 150k plus have to put 20% of their gross into a sort of super fund - accessible only after they retire (from footy)

That's what you would hope they have financial advisors telling them what to do but given their off-field 'activities' you think maybe that wasn't happening. I watched a doco last night about American athletes earning 100 million plus over their careers and still being broke 5 years after their careers end.

60% of them are broke within 5 years of their careers being over. I think the AFL rate would be higher... because they earn a lot less.

I understand that some will be smart with their money, or be smart enough to seek competent advice, but a lot will effectively piss it against the wall (like I did in my youth) or invest in ostrich farms.

They may already do it, but I think the AFLPA should have financial advisers on staff, and make bi annual visits to each and every player compulsory.

I understand that some will be smart with their money, or be smart enough to seek competent advice, but a lot will effectively piss it against the wall (like I did in my youth) or invest in ostrich farms.

They may already do it, but I think the AFLPA should have financial advisers on staff, and make bi annual visits to each and every player compulsory.

If you are interested in the topic watch this documentary:

It shows how easily you can squander a big fortune. Taxes, cars, houses, partying, bad investments, failed relationships and child support, jewellery, gambling... the list goes on. The thing is they get it when they are kids and come from nothing and have no idea how to handle money.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It's laughable this on-going delusional response.
Anybody that is connected to Essendon in any capacity is irrelevant in any further discussion relating to the supplements scandal.
The games can't come quick enough so that everyone's focus can get back on the real stuff.

They just won't let it Die. Could they get off there Suspension IF it was overturned?(How Ever big of a Joke it would be)

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2016-02-10/essendon-34-set-to-appeal-their-seasonlong-afl-bans

Not sure how they can argue or prove they were treated unfairly when they were asked by the CAS panel if they thought they got a fair hearing and answered 'yes'. Or the fact that they got to pick one of the three arbiters. Or the fact that they never challenged which year's version of the Anti-Doping Code applied. Or the fact that they never challenged CAS's jurisdiction to even hear WADA's appeal in the first place.

In any event, it seems (according to those more into the guts of it over on the HTB) that it will take about 5 months for this appeal to be dealt with. That takes it until mid-July. They will not be playing football this year either way.

This is really more for their reputation than anything. Oh, and Jobe's precious Brownlow too, which he should be allowed to keep anyway regardless of what happens, because he's a good bloke who is the best good bloke to have bloked in the blokey history of blokeing...:rolleyes:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back