EDFL Div 1 Discussion 2022

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

King Turbo or anyone else, please answer me one question.

In 2023 how will the EDFL get back to having a full complement of junior and senior umpires? it happened under Rowan Sawyers watch from 2012 to 2020.
When approving new clubs to join the EDFL, surely adequate umpiring numbers would be a key pillar, for the Board approving or denying a clubs admission.
Last season just Saturday football never had full umpiring numbers, generally enough field umpires not always, never enough goal or boundary to go around.
So the EDFL brains-trust approve 2 new clubs Deer Park and St Albans, with a current umpire shortage, this will add about 15 more teams for officiating. That's on top of recent additions Sunbury Kangaroos and Rupertswood, who have around 20 teams in total, something isn't adding up here.

In 2023 how will the EDFL get back to having a full complement of junior and senior umpires? it happened under Rowan Sawyers watch from 2012 to 2020.
When approving new clubs to join the EDFL, surely adequate umpiring numbers would be a key pillar, for the Board approving or denying a clubs admission.
Last season just Saturday football never had full umpiring numbers, generally enough field umpires not always, never enough goal or boundary to go around.
So the EDFL brains-trust approve 2 new clubs Deer Park and St Albans, with a current umpire shortage, this will add about 15 more teams for officiating. That's on top of recent additions Sunbury Kangaroos and Rupertswood, who have around 20 teams in total, something isn't adding up here.
Its done need to move forward and whilst moving forward the new management and board need the solutions

Its done need to move forward and whilst moving forward the new management and board need the solutions
Fair point you make about moving on, however the current CEO, Chairman and his Board who are all still in power today, made these decisions.

With recent clubs included, a minimum of 50 new umpires will be required, that's not counting EDFL women's and girls football annual expansion.
While I am at it mens football seems to get all the publicity, how did Gisborne and Sunbury Lions women's teams both sneak into the EDFL recently?

Last edited:
Fair point you make about moving on, however the current CEO, Chairman and his Board who are all still in power today, made these decisions.

With recent clubs included, a minimum of 50 new umpires will be required, that's not counting EDFL women's and girls football annual expansion.
While I am at it mens football seems to get all the publicity, how did Gisborne and Sunbury Lions women's teams both sneak into the EDFL recently?
I thought you had been sharing the CEO was gone?
We all know a new board is pending based on the advertisement.

I cant answer your question on the women's teams entry into the EDFL

I thought you had been sharing the CEO was gone?
We all know a new board is pending based on the advertisement.

I cant answer your question on the women's teams entry into the EDFL
The CEO has apparently gone according to my inner EDFL sources, however still nothing advertised on social media.
Also according to the EDFL website today, all staff and the Board are current in their positions running the competition.

The decision I was referring to like new clubs being admitted, were made then submitted to AFL Vic in late September, Kyte was a major part of it.
The CEO and Football Netball Manager then went overseas for 3 weeks only, that's 5 weeks back, both still haven't been sighted at HQ in Napier Street.

Last edited:

Offer more $$. The league makes plenty!! Only way to get more men/women into umpiring.

The alcohol rule for Sunday football was bought into the EDFL around early 2000s. The great majority of unsavory incidents at junior football including finals, alcohol was involved in some way, shape or form. All clubs have licenses to serve on Sundays, they don't, understand why and endorsed the rule years ago. If there has been a change to policy, its not official with clubs certainly not knowing about it. There should always be one rule for all, full stop no exceptions. Tullamarine at one time around 2015, joined up with the Airport Club, they wanted the rule amended, the answer then was no as its not fair to all clubs.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So obviously St Albans have agreed to not serve alcohol from their pokies room during the junior games being played on the Sunday
Or is this just another issue that our highly transparent, inclusive board still haven’t informed the clubs about
What’s the difference to when Abers serve alcohol during Friday night junior games. Please tell.

The alcohol rule for Sunday football was bought into the EDFL around early 2000s. The great majority of unsavory incidents at junior football including finals, alcohol was involved in some way, shape or form. All clubs have licenses to serve on Sundays, they don't, understand why and endorsed the rule years ago. If there has been a change to policy, its not official with clubs certainly not knowing about it. There should always be one rule for all, full stop no exceptions. Tullamarine at one time around 2015, joined up with the Airport Club, they wanted the rule amended, the answer then was no as its not fair to all clubs.
It’s not just the EDFL that has the rule. The current rule is in the WRFL. I would say it’s probably an AFL Vic rule about the selling of alcohol at a junior game.
What’s the difference to when Abers serve alcohol during Friday night junior games. Please tell.
I would complain to the EDFL. My understanding is the can sell it but it must remain indoors.

It’s not just the EDFL that has the rule. The current rule is in the WRFL. I would say it’s probably an AFL Vic rule about the selling of alcohol at a junior game.

I would complain to the EDFL. My understanding is the can sell it but it must remain indoors.
WRFL BY-LAW

6.3 INTOXICATING LIQUOR
6.3.1 Participating players and/or match officials of any team having been found guilty of consuming intoxicating liquor in or around the playing arena, or in the dressing room prior to the conclusion of the match, the club and/or offending person shall be dealt with as the Executive deems fit. The field umpire shall report to the Executive any club, club official and/or registered players infringing this by-law or any player under the influence of liquor.
6.3.2 During any Junior matches no alcohol is to be consumed around the ground or within any building constructed and used by the club including any licensed premises without the written consent from the League which consent if given will only be valid for the year in which it is issued and on the conditions it is issued. The Club shall be liable for any breach of this bylaw and shall be liable to a penalty of up to fifty (50) penalty units for each breach of the bylaw (example: if three people are found consuming alcohol in breach of this by-law that will represent three offences and so on).
6.3.3 Alcohol cannot be consumed in any glass container (glass or bottle) outside the licensed clubrooms. Penalty for any breach will be up to ten (10) penalty units for each breach of the by-law (example: if three people are found consuming alcohol in breach of this by-law that will represent three offences and so on).

Alcohol Management EDFL By-Law provides
Junior Football

No alcohol is to be consumed or sold at any venue (including within licensed clubrooms) where junior matches are being staged until at least 30 minutes after the conclusion of the final match of the day. Clubs shall be responsible for the conduct of its members, supporters and followers and breaches of this By-Law will be considered serious and attract monetary fines and other penalties at discretion of the EDFL Board. Note: This rule is also applicable to all fixtured EDFL matches as well as Junior Metropolitan Championship games conducted by EDFL clubs.

Alcohol Management EDFL By-Law provides
Junior Football

No alcohol is to be consumed or sold at any venue (including within licensed clubrooms) where junior matches are being staged until at least 30 minutes after the conclusion of the final match of the day. Clubs shall be responsible for the conduct of its members, supporters and followers and breaches of this By-Law will be considered serious and attract monetary fines and other penalties at discretion of the EDFL Board. Note: This rule is also applicable to all fixtured EDFL matches as well as Junior Metropolitan Championship games conducted by EDFL clubs.
This long standing rule is very easy to understand and apply, NO ALCHOL at junior football full stop, Friday night, Sunday afternoon or 4.00am on Wednesday morning.
The great majority of EDFL clubs always do the right thing.
If St Albans have been given some type of an exemption, the existing clubs will be even more ropeable, you cant have a favored few clubs gaining a free hit to bar sales weekly.

Hey mate, and what would that achieve. They were all outside drinking but I’ve already raised it here. So not sure what’s the difference at St Albans.
I like the idea of having a beer but to many fu&&&&& spoil it for others.

Hey mate, and what would that achieve. They were all outside drinking but I’ve already raised it here. So not sure what’s the difference at St Albans.
I like the idea of having a beer but to many fu&&&&& spoil it for others.
Unfortunately a clubs liquor licence over rides the EDFL rules. A few years ago each club within the EDFL had an amendment added to their existing liquor licence by the then VCGLR. It still exists on their licence today. That no alcohol can be consumed before 3:30pm whilst under age football is in progress on any Sunday. The EDFL was the only football competition to have this amendment added, I believe.
It makes no mention of Friday.

Unfortunately a clubs liquor licence over rides the EDFL rules. A few years ago each club within the EDFL had an amendment added to their existing liquor licence by the then VCGLR. It still exists on their licence today. That no alcohol can be consumed before 3:30pm whilst under age football is in progress on any Sunday. The EDFL was the only football competition to have this amendment added, I believe.
It makes no mention of Friday.
I would say that the EDFL have the right to tell clubs not to sell alcohol during a junior game regardless what the liquor licences says. You still need to abide by the rules that govern the league you play in. The problem is the EDFL board and management are spineless and don’t punish any of the premier clubs but are happy to punish lower division clubs for minor things.

I would say that the EDFL have the right to tell clubs not to sell alcohol during a junior game regardless what the liquor licences says. You still need to abide by the rules that govern the league you play in. The problem is the EDFL board and management are spineless and don’t punish any of the premier clubs but are happy to punish lower division clubs for minor things.
I agree Horse, the EDFL could add a clause that tacks onto the VCGLR to go above and beyond. However you are correct re-enforcement.

So obviously St Albans have agreed to not serve alcohol from their pokies room during the junior games being played on the Sunday
Or is this just another issue that our highly transparent, inclusive board still haven’t informed the clubs about
St.Albans have two grounds. Kings Park Reserve (where the pokies are) and Errington Reserve. Historically Errington is where junior matches are played and it has recently been redeveloped…so no problem if playing at Kings Park on a Sunday is an issue.
P.S. Now you’re informed

St.Albans have two grounds. Kings Park Reserve (where the pokies are) and Errington Reserve. Historically Errington is where junior matches are played and it has recently been redeveloped…so no problem if playing at Kings Park on a Sunday is an issue.
P.S. Now you’re informed
Gee thanks TeeJay. We all know that. We also know that St Albans do play junior games at Kings Park. That’s a fact. So unless they have agreed to play all junior games at their second best amenity they will be breaking the rules.
Whilst we are at it, have any of the board been out to Deer Park to inspect the pig sty rooms that the board expect their existing clubs juniors to change in.
Just disgraceful.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back