List Mgmt. 2023 Draft & Trade Hypotheticals

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Key Trade & Draft Dates
Key Dates:

Trade Period, October 6–18
  • Restricted & Unrestricted Free Agency Period: Friday, October 6, 9am – Friday October 13, 5pm (bid matching ends Monday October 16, 5pm)
  • Trade Period (1), picks & players: Monday, October 9, 9am – Wednesday October 18, 7.30pm
Quiet Period, October 19–November 20
  • Trade Period (2), picks only: Monday, October 23, 9am – Friday November 10, 5pm
  • List Lodgement 1*: Tuesday, October 31, 2pm
  • Delisted Free Agency Period (1): Wednesday, November 1, 9am – Wednesday November 8, 5pm
  • Delisted Free Agency Period (2): Friday, November 10, 9am–5pm
  • List Lodgement 2*: Tuesday, November 14, 2pm
Draft Period, November 20–22
  • Round 1 of the National Draft: Monday, November 20, time and venue TBA
  • Trade Period (3), picks only: Tuesday, November 21, 5.45pm–6.30pm
  • Round 2–end of the National Draft: Tuesday, November 21, 7pm until completion
  • Rookie Promotions: Tuesday, November 21, after the National Draft
  • Delisted Free Agency Period (3): Tuesday, November 21, after the National Draft
  • List Lodgement 3*: Wednesday, November 22, 10am (optional; required for those participating in the PSD)
  • Pre-Season Draft: Wednesday, November 22, 3pm
  • Rookie Draft: Wednesday, November 22, 3.20pm
  • Final List Lodgement*: Thursday, November 23, 4pm
* List lodgement dates are yet to be made public, so are approximate based on past history and the requirements of the AFL Rules. When lists are lodged, the number of players on the list must not exceed maximum list sizes. At the same time, clubs must provide the AFL with estimates of total player payments in the current and following year, which must prove the club is not and will not exceed the salary cap. (AFL Rules 5.3, 6.1, 6.8, 7.2, 7.9)

Last edited:
I might be in the minority on this but I feel like speed on a defender isn't really that important. Only really comes in handy when defending a forward leading up at a short ball, but in most cases there's not much a defender is able to do when the ball is delivered lace-out to a leading forward's chest anyway.

Key forwards these days mostly get their marks overhead or from frees in packs. It makes the Heath Grundy-style beast defenders who can both put body on their opponent and read the ball in the air so valuable.

Bloody wish we got Barrass when we were into him a few years ago.
Rampe gets to so many contests (often as 3rd man up) because he’s fast and agile. It’s also part of the reason he so rarely gets beaten on the lead.

I regard speed as a helpful attribute no matter what role is being played, with the possible exception of rucks - who are more about endurance.

Anyway, I’ll keep saying it - we need our next Rampe / Super Ted. And I don’t yet see one.

Rampe gets to so many contests (often as 3rd man up) because he’s fast and agile. It’s also part of the reason he so rarely gets beaten on the lead.

I regard speed as a helpful attribute no matter what role is being played, with the possible exception of rucks - who are more about endurance.

Anyway, I’ll keep saying it - we need our next Rampe / Super Ted. And I don’t yet see one.
Speed is important but as is any athletic trait in sport. But I'd take an averaged paced mid who is smart and can kick off both feet ala Sam Mitchell over the fastest sprinter

Gee,

Looking at these recent posts if we could pick up the following this off season where do we see us sitting heading into 2024.

In
McKay x 2 we are the club for Brothers
Weitering
HH
TDK

Out
Buddy
Paddy Mac (sadly)
Amarty / Mclean (Not by choice but will look for more opportunities)
Hickey
Papley ?
Gould
Reid

Those in's provide a very strong spine..

Sent from my SM-A715F using Tapatalk

Gee,

Looking at these recent posts if we could pick up the following this off season where do we see us sitting heading into 2024.

In
Weitering
HH
TDK

Out
Buddy
Paddy Mac (sadly)
Hickey
Papley ?
Gould
Reid

You forgot Naughton mate.

You guys might want to check out the Carlton board:
Post #8,015 in the Bluemour 'Silly Season' Edition XXXIV by DeIulio2Pearce

I didn't want to cross post just in case it is breaking rules?

It's always nice to see that other clubs have crazy supporters posting on their forums as well.

If we swapped Papley for De Koning and a bit of change (as they put it) then we should just fold the men's team and focus on the AFLW team.

tl;dr

• TDK wants Geelong but will go to Sydney instead but is really keen on Geelong
  • Geelong offer same as Calrtons but 200k less than Sydney
  • Geelong told to find a top 10 pick
  • Papley wants to go to Carlton but given the contract Blues will need steak knives with TDK

So Geelong will get TDK and a top 10 pick from Gold Coast, Carlton gets Papley and Sydney get a future 3rd tied to Freo

Gee,

In
Weitering
HH
TDK

Out
Buddy
Paddy Mac (sadly)
Hickey
Papley ?
Gould
Reid

We might get one player, HH most likely.

Then I'd want to keep Papley, Amartey and McLean.

tl;dr

• TDK wants Geelong but will go to Sydney instead but is really keen on Geelong
  • Geelong offer same as Calrtons but 200k less than Sydney
  • Geelong told to find a top 10 pick
  • Papley wants to go to Carlton but given the contract Blues will need steak knives with TDK

So Geelong will get TDK and a top 10 pick from Gold Coast, Carlton gets Papley and Sydney get a future 3rd tied to Freo

and then we'll be fined ...

If that's true:

• TDK wants out to Geelong who are offering 550 but we're offering 750
  • Papley wants to go home, and happy for it to be Carlton
  • Blues would prefer to trade TDK + extras for Paps but TDK is resistant
So even if it's all true, Carlton can't trade TDK to us without him wanting to come. If he only comes for the coin then I don't want him.

Unlike some other here I think TDK will be a quality player, but it sounds like the only reason we're in the conversation is by offering massive overs.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Pretty sure if we get more than 1 of HH, Naughton and TDK, we're getting another trade ban.

Didn't bother adding McKay as that's pure fantasy.
If we get anyone that is an obvious improvement that isn't a "prospect" or "hard worker" ala Sinclair, we are getting a trade ban

If we get anyone that is an obvious improvement that isn't a "prospect" or "hard worker" ala Sinclair, we are getting a trade ban
I would love Naughton and HH

Someone at the dogs has to go
Especially now with Croft F/S coming in

I thought they took Josh Bruce to FB cause they have too many Forwards now in the 195cm or Taller range

One of the dogs fowards has to be pushed out

Naughton makes sense for us

I would love Naughton and HH

Someone at the dogs has to go
Especially now with Croft F/S coming in

I thought they took Josh Bruce to FB cause they have too many Forwards now in the 195cm or Taller range

One of the dogs fowards has to be pushed out

Naughton makes sense for us

One of them MIGHT be pushed out but why a proven performer like Naughton? does he even want out?

If that's true:

So even if it's all true, Carlton can't trade TDK to us without him wanting to come. If he only comes for the coin then I don't want him.

Unlike some other here I think TDK will be a quality player, but it sounds like the only reason we're in the conversation is by offering massive overs.

Basically the rumour is that we massively overpay for Carlton's backup ruckman who is out of contract and give away our All Australian Small Forward who is contracted for another 5 years.

Last edited:
If that's true:

I think even more amazing than that scenario is that this poster claims to know what's on TDK's mind, what the Carlton club is thinking and what trades they will consider, as well as discovering that "coterie types" from the Swans also know what Papley is thinking and who he wants to be traded to, etc. That is a lot of privileged information available to "coterie types" as well as a random poster on BF.

I rarely get mail and I’m sure it’s circulated pretty far and wide, but TDK has checked out. Wants Geelong desperately but so do the Swans and they have far more money on the table. I’ve only heard this from one person who intermittently comes up with some gold. Geelong have been told to find a top 10 pick or no deal. They are not keen on that.

Which brings us to the next part.

Heard from a few other people close to Sydney (coterie types, not prawn sanga theatre goer coterie types but actual footy followers who dump money into their club) that Papley wants home again and is happy again to request to come to Carlton as a preference. Given his long contract, we’d have to throw in a bit of change in a swap involving TDK.

Club is happy to do that but is in a bind given our dearth of picks this year and don’t want to play out again with next years draft.

TDK quite resistant on the issue but has 750k on offer at Sydney (Why? Don’t ask me) which makes attempting to walk to Geelong through the PSD very difficult for him given their offer is about the same as ours, 500-550, which would be the ‘price on his head’ and given the Swans likely pick before Geelong and and North, Hawks, Eagles probably swoop first anyway.

Unless they come up with a very enticing offer through trading up pick wise with us.

So presuming ANY of this is true, we need to find change with TDK to send him up north for Papley, which would involve players out obviously, Geelong really have to want him that badly they have or acquire a top ten pick in which case we deal with them (Papley is still the priority), or like with Papley to us a few years ago nothing happens and he stays.

I think even more amazing than that scenario is that this poster claims to know what's on TDK's mind, what the Carlton club is thinking and what trades they will consider, as well as discovering that "coterie types" from the Swans also know what Papley is thinking and who he wants to be traded to, etc. That is a lot of privileged information available to "coterie types" as well as a random poster on BF.
SparkleLord lives.

I know this thread is hypotheticals, but we have now moved from the silly season to the stark raving mad period.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back