List Mgmt. 2023 Draft & Trade Hypotheticals

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Key Trade & Draft Dates
Key Dates:

Trade Period, October 6–18
  • Restricted & Unrestricted Free Agency Period: Friday, October 6, 9am – Friday October 13, 5pm (bid matching ends Monday October 16, 5pm)
  • Trade Period (1), picks & players: Monday, October 9, 9am – Wednesday October 18, 7.30pm
Quiet Period, October 19–November 20
  • Trade Period (2), picks only: Monday, October 23, 9am – Friday November 10, 5pm
  • List Lodgement 1*: Tuesday, October 31, 2pm
  • Delisted Free Agency Period (1): Wednesday, November 1, 9am – Wednesday November 8, 5pm
  • Delisted Free Agency Period (2): Friday, November 10, 9am–5pm
  • List Lodgement 2*: Tuesday, November 14, 2pm
Draft Period, November 20–22
  • Round 1 of the National Draft: Monday, November 20, time and venue TBA
  • Trade Period (3), picks only: Tuesday, November 21, 5.45pm–6.30pm
  • Round 2–end of the National Draft: Tuesday, November 21, 7pm until completion
  • Rookie Promotions: Tuesday, November 21, after the National Draft
  • Delisted Free Agency Period (3): Tuesday, November 21, after the National Draft
  • List Lodgement 3*: Wednesday, November 22, 10am (optional; required for those participating in the PSD)
  • Pre-Season Draft: Wednesday, November 22, 3pm
  • Rookie Draft: Wednesday, November 22, 3.20pm
  • Final List Lodgement*: Thursday, November 23, 4pm
* List lodgement dates are yet to be made public, so are approximate based on past history and the requirements of the AFL Rules. When lists are lodged, the number of players on the list must not exceed maximum list sizes. At the same time, clubs must provide the AFL with estimates of total player payments in the current and following year, which must prove the club is not and will not exceed the salary cap. (AFL Rules 5.3, 6.1, 6.8, 7.2, 7.9)

Last edited:
I think even more amazing than that scenario is that this poster claims to know what's on TDK's mind, what the Carlton club is thinking and what trades they will consider, as well as discovering that "coterie types" from the Swans also know what Papley is thinking and who he wants to be traded to, etc. That is a lot of privileged information available to "coterie types" as well as a random poster on BF.
I didn't know we had "coterie types"

Which is, of course, exactly what a Sydney coterie type would say.

SparkleLord lives.

I know this thread is hypotheticals, but we have now moved from the silly season to the stark raving mad period.
You just prompted me to revisit SparkleLord's two posts. It is very interesting reading when viewing in hindsight as a lot of it has panned out. He didn't quite nail the Dawson situation, but neither did the club at first, but the rest was pretty good.

As Far as Francis and his pace goes people should just give him the benefit of the doubt and just judge him on his work so far. Quite solid in an injury decimated backline in his first year at a new club. Let the rest of the year unfold and see how he fares in the role he is currently playing. Heath Grundy one of the best and most consistent players to ever play at this club could not run out of sight on a foggy night. Pace ? Intercept defenders that have the gift of football nous and ability to read the game are worth their weight in gold. Give him time. He could well be that. We have The affordability this year not being a contender to do that.

I like that at the very least we are looking at marking targets (Naughton, Himmelberg, De Koning in that order would be my preference), rather than big goalkicking power forwards.

Obviously Buddy is never going to be replaced, and having that 60-goal a year forward like a Cameron, Curnow, Hawkins would be great. But I feel like what we've missed this year even more than Buddy's goals is Reid's marks. He just gave us that shape ahead of the ball last year. Being able to have that player who could take that mark 60 out from goals gave the forwards inside 50 the chance to set up and get into better positions closer to home. Without that this year it's felt like things are breaking down for us at half forward a lot, either by directly turning it over, or by then stuffing up the last play entering our forward 50.

Never rated Reid that much prior to 2021 and I think in another era with another team, his absence could easily be covered or adapted for (ie in 2016). This group however, with their clearances that tend to go backwards to go forwards, the players who like to take the game on and get it to our forward 50 hard and fast, the medium forwards who need to be able to get isolation more, the long bombs that are so prevalent in today's game with every team... yeah they really need a Reid type player.

You just prompted me to revisit SparkleLord's two posts. It is very interesting reading when viewing in hindsight as a lot of it has panned out. He didn't quite nail the Dawson situation, but neither did the club at first, but the rest was pretty good.
TBH it's not hard to do that sort of thing.

I wrote this last week prior to the MSD draft;

(13 (selections) in all, after clubs passed),
Ryan Maric went #1 to WCE and surprisingly Ethan Phillips wasn't picked up.

It was part of a joke post suggesting we'd actually select Stoddart and Ling, but if I was to predict our true #1 selection I would have gone Harry Arnold, simply because he was the player most closely linked to us late in the period leading up to the draft.

Similarly with Maric & Phillips that was based on reading draft previews and the 13 selected (from 15 picks) was purely a guess, but based on the assumption some clubs may pass.

As for SparkleLord what exactly did s/he predict that most of us couldn't?

Big one in Dawson s/he got wrong (from a choice of 2), after firstly claiming he was likely to stay.
S/he supposedly knew Parker was considering his options, that Reid was leaving, Sinclair would retire if we brought in another ruck (we did and he didn't) .
S/he predicted Stephens, McLean & Wicks would extend their contracts, which they did. However all 3 were expected to stay by most of us on here.
Hewett was widely rumoured to leave, which he did.

And then of course s/he knew our draft plans;
we were hoping to trade up to take Gibcus and had interest in Aleer, Conway & Schlensog in the 2nd rd. Schlensog went undrafted.
S/he also had us taking Paddy Mac in the rookie draft. Of course he didn't nominate for either the ND or rookie draft to enable us to take him in the SPP.

The rest of his/her posts was generic waffle.
So s/he knew not only the players'minds, but also the club's recruitment plans.
In truth it is no difference to the Carlton post, a bit relating to rumours (TDK/Papley) and throwing in a bit of mayo.

As I wrote at the time;
People pick and choose what they want to read (hear), remember things that fit into their narrative and ignore those don't.

Let's face it everybody likes the idea of being 'in the know', so we want to believe when we seemingly get inside info.
In truth most on here could have written similar posts, based on media reports, made assumptions what might happen with our list management and then put those views into the wider AFL context and hey presto we get the posts from SparkleLord.

Last edited:
Rampe gets to so many contests (often as 3rd man up) because he’s fast and agile. It’s also part of the reason he so rarely gets beaten on the lead.

I regard speed as a helpful attribute no matter what role is being played, with the possible exception of rucks - who are more about endurance.

Anyway, I’ll keep saying it - we need our next Rampe / Super Ted. And I don’t yet see one.

blakey, once he's freed up by us getting a couple of genuine big key defenders ... weitering would absolutely be one

As Far as Francis and his pace goes people should just give him the benefit of the doubt and just judge him on his work so far. Quite solid in an injury decimated backline in his first year at a new club. Let the rest of the year unfold and see how he fares in the role he is currently playing. Heath Grundy one of the best and most consistent players to ever play at this club could not run out of sight on a foggy night. Pace ? Intercept defenders that have the gift of football nous and ability to read the game are worth their weight in gold. Give him time. He could well be that. We have The affordability this year not being a contender to do that.
Well said Wolfy.
He came to us as a player looking for a fresh start. We are the perfect club for him to gain his confidence & sense of belonging.
I really love his versatility. Add the confidence & he can be our new LRT who we all loved & missed dearly by the end of his career.
In fact I really miss having someone like LRT more than many others who finished their careers. Irreplaceable!
May Francis become half as reliable as LRT.

If that's true:

• TDK wants out to Geelong who are offering 550 but we're offering 750
  • Papley wants to go home, and happy for it to be Carlton
  • Blues would prefer to trade TDK + extras for Paps but TDK is resistant
So even if it's all true, Carlton can't trade TDK to us without him wanting to come. If he only comes for the coin then I don't want him.

Unlike some other here I think TDK will be a quality player, but it sounds like the only reason we're in the conversation is by offering massive overs.
If this is even half true then TDK's character seems to align with our last great blunde...signing Kurt Tippett.

I also don't want a bloke on our team who's earning it before he's earned it. It's sh*t for morale and the culture and is something I would expect of TDK's current club, NOT his prospective one!

I largely agree with you but it's still fair to call out one of his poorer attributes.

Against Freo it would have been downright comical how far off the pace he was in a couple of moments if they hadn't led to opposition opportunities/goals.

All in all, he still had a decent game that day so you're right in that his lack of pace doesn't preclude him from being a solid contributor.

I think he's doing just fine.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Would yeo leave wa

Just needs to get fit

For the right price obviously
Hes local to Perth. Always injured.

I am very interested in Jack Crisp. Former Murray Bushranger and kind of on the fringe at the Pies this season. Absolute gun.

Contracted for another 3 years after this but could be a salary dump if they want to use Ed Allan, Macrae and Lipinski inside (alongside De Goey).

Last edited:
Maybe the club is anticipating there will be a few we won't have to save $$ for much longer...
like Hewett and Dawson.. JPK and Buddy

With those 4 out over the last two years and at the same time, paying a lot of younger players, of course we have cap space.. Please move on from the notion that we have to give up a good player to trade one in.

Naughton would be an absurd get and if there's even an iota of a chance, we should be up to our necks in it.

If you could see a list of the players who'll kick the most goals over the next 5 years, there's every chance he's at the top.

I love the way Logan is progressing, but I reckon his ceiling is very good, but not quite a superstar.

like Hewett and Dawson.. JPK and Buddy

With those 4 out over the last two years and at the same time, paying a lot of younger players, of course we have cap space.. Please move on from the notion that we have to give up a good player to trade one in.
We didn't just stop having good, expensive players once Hewett, Dawson & JPK left...

I wonder what, or if, may have changed between March 16th and now re. Dyl... (ironically, this is the article which predicted Gus's 2-year extension was a done deal)

SYDNEY has opened talks on a contract extension for young midfielder Dylan Stephens, who had a breakout end to last season.

Stephens was the Swans' No.5 draft pick in 2019 and the hard-running midfielder attracted interest at the end of his first contract having played 15 games in his opening two years.

But after 15 games last season, including the Swans' final 12 games of the season including the Grand Final, the club has begun discussions to extend his stay in Sydney.

I wonder what, or if, may have changed between March 16th and now re. Dyl... (ironically, this is the article which predicted Gus's 2-year extension was a done deal)

SYDNEY has opened talks on a contract extension for young midfielder Dylan Stephens, who had a breakout end to last season.

Stephens was the Swans' No.5 draft pick in 2019 and the hard-running midfielder attracted interest at the end of his first contract having played 15 games in his opening two years.

But after 15 games last season, including the Swans' final 12 games of the season including the Grand Final, the club has begun discussions to extend his stay in Sydney.

I don't think Stephens is fending off multiple viable offers really. Steak knives for a deal or he extends

TDK already shown he won't bust imo. Remember early on he looked like he could be a freak. Still only 23. Number 1 ruck and just have him fly at everything between the arcs. Worth taking a little risk. Then we at least have a guy that has all the tools to dominate the air locked in to come through with the group.

Naughton would be an absurd get and if there's even an iota of a chance, we should be up to our necks in it.

If you could see a list of the players who'll kick the most goals over the next 5 years, there's every chance he's at the top.

I love the way Logan is progressing, but I reckon his ceiling is very good, but not quite a superstar.

i have no argument on naughton but i think you're underselling mcdonald ... not sure about superstar, but mcdonald will be an outstanding player

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back