List Mgmt. 2023 Trade Thread - Part II

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
FMD Lobb still, what about Schache and Jimmy Toumpas?
Using our two firsts on them this draft

On SM-S908E using BigFooty.com mobile app

I can understand why, it's the kinda thing that can absolutely * the comp for years and we won't know until it's far too late.

Geelong should know, those father son picks they got for SFA set them up for two decades of sustained contending. Joel Selwood retiring finally marked the end of that era.

I think the Northern academies are also feeding into the discontent clubs are feeling about draft handouts.

What did Lyon say? “The gift that keeps on giving.” He wasn’t just alluding to North Melbourne there. Gold Coast have 3 top 10 picks coming from their exclusive academy.

This is going to be a heavily debated point after the draft. Wait and see. It’s an issue uniting the majority of clubs. Lyon and Scott revealed a lot of the anger that has bubbling away under the surface for a while.

Taking the compensation and picks out of the equation, wouldn't the problem with Shiel be that he would likely want an extension on his current deal?

It obviously wouldn't be huge money but I wouldn't be keen if we had to add another two years (even on low money) to make the deal work

no way in any shape or form do we gift those cxxxx pick 13

1.if their offer gives us band 3 we match and get the 28 or whatever in a trade
2.if band 2 we take it and get henry with it
3.if band 1 we get pick 13 out of it BECAUSE THAT IS THE DIRECTION WE WANT TO GO IN

no matter what little pissant gain we get from them getting 13,their gain is much greater & we are not in that business,on top of that somehow some way it probably helps them with whatever plan they are formulating for the bloke that wears #34 at the suns in the future

let the hawks have a crack at him also

North's list tell the story here. They're almost certain to lose Todd Goldstein. This leaves Tristan Xerri who only played 9 games this year after injuring his ankle round 1. After that is 25 year old rookie prospect Hamish Free (who's never played AFL level), Jacob Edwards and Callum Coleman-Jones (who has a... let's say interesting history).

With these thin ruck stocks, North had two choices - promote Edwards off the rookie list or delist. They chose to delist. That's reason enough for us to avoid.
This is the same team that delisted Mason Wood

Taking the compensation and picks out of the equation, wouldn't the problem with Shiel be that he would likely want an extension on his current deal?

It obviously wouldn't be huge money but I wouldn't be keen if we had to add another two years (even on low money) to make the deal work
I reckon he’ll probably only agree to a move if we push the year out to two years, probably 1.2 over two years instead of the 1 remaining giant front loader of a mil.

Are people here on crack !!!

If anyone thinks we are gifting pick 13 to the Dopers for Shiel, seek immediate assistance from a mental health professional.

It's very easy to understand. Essendum want to get Shiel off their books. WE will take him for the year remaining in his contract as a salary dump. In return we give the dopers a junk pick.

The payment for this (now that they can afford to do it) is that they offer Gresham enough to trigger band one compo.

Having taken Shiel off their hands to enable them to pay Gresham enough to trigger band one, why would we then turn around and gift them that pick???

Seriously, it's like herding really stupid cats in here......

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Explain to me how it makes any sense for Essendon to massively overpay Gresh so that we take Shiels huge one year salary off them?
because they think he's in their best 22 and they get him for free (shiel aint worth sh*t)

that's the fundamental mechanic of free agency, over pay but no trade required

if they take 750k off their books dumping shiel but over pay gresham by 100k for 3 years they still free up 450k net, gain a best 22 player and a third round pick for shiel who is not in their 22

Are people here on crack !!!

If anyone thinks we are gifting pick 13 to the Dopers for Shiel, seek immediate assistance from a mental health professional.

It's very easy to understand. Essendum want to get Shiel off their books. WE will take him for the year remaining in his contract as a salary dump. In return we give the dopers a junk pick.

The payment for this (now that they can afford to do it) is that they offer Gresham enough to trigger band one compo.

Having taken Shiel off their hands to enable them to pay Gresham enough to trigger band one, why would we then turn around and gift them that pick???

Seriously, it's like herding really stupid cats in here......

You sound like you come from Dandenong.

That's not a compliment.

Because they get Gresham and it costs them no draft picks !!!!
They get him for nothing anyway he's a free agent. The idea that they would put Gresh on a long term overs deal so that we take Shiel is so dumb, of course I wish it were true but it would only work if Dodo wanted to destroy the club on his way out the door.

Its complete garbage.
If we are giving back the compo pick we don't care what it is. Its not doing us a favor at all.

If they don't pay Gresh overs to make his compo 13 we'll probably get a second round pick anyway.
I'm happy to take Shiel if they give us something to take his salary on. That stupid proposed deal gives us nothing.

------
Here's my somewhat boring plan.

IF they pay Gresh enough to get Gresh as a FA, we get the compo, whatever it is.

If we want Shiel or any other over the hill old fart , we pay sfa in terms of draft picks to get them.

And on top of that, deals with too many moving parts usually end up in desperate moves that cost. Hill's trade cost heaps more because we'd had fingers in so many pies that we were backed into a corner. Sometimes it's better to keep things very simple.

If that moronic dwarf could bend us over, Dildoro would have us spending the entire trade period building up his image in the media and then letting the same deal we started with pass 30 seconds before the deadline.

They get him for nothing anyway he's a free agent. The idea that they would put Gresh on a long term overs deal so that we take Shiel is so dumb, of course I wish it were true but it would only work if Dodo wanted to destroy the club on his way out the door.
I reckon the details have been covered pretty adequately, some might say ad nauseam. Have a read through the last 384 pages.

Explain to me how it makes any sense for Essendon to massively overpay Gresh so that we take Shiels huge one year salary off them?

They’re not massively overpaying Gresh at all.

They’re simply matching what he is being paid by StKilda now (with maybe a little cream on top). Most people are missing this in their opinions that he’s only worth $600-650k. He’s one of our highest paid players.

And despite what their peptide enabled supporters believe, their cap isn’t as healthy as they sprout. They need $$ for McKay, have just re-signed a heap of players including Parish & Redman… and have a group of their promising kids coming out of contract next year (including Perkins who they will need to pay overs to keep).

Shiel is burning just under 10% of their TPP next year & is likely to be running around in (or watching) the VFL.

So they get that 900k + off the books, get a happy Gresh with full pockets & a pick in the 30’s for their trouble.

Which is probably only an additional $150-200k per year.

With the TPP going up, its a reasonable investment.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Some of the benefits could be:
1. While they seem to have cap space, it might mean they could keep that space for more FAs next year. They have a lot of mid depth already and he’s unreliable as hell
2. No need to pay a pick for Gresh if we match.
3. Get a pick on top of both of those (say, our second).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back