Autopsy AFL 2023 Grand Final - Pies vs Lions Sat Sept 30th 2:30pm EST (MCG)

Who will win and by how much?

• Pies by a goal or less

Votes: 29 5.9%
  • Lions by a goal or less

Votes: 20 4.1%
  • Pies by 7-20

Votes: 116 23.6%
  • Lions by 7-20

Votes: 216 43.9%
  • Pies by a lot

Votes: 47 9.6%
  • Lions by a lot

Votes: 53 10.8%
  • Draw

Votes: 11 2.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Biggest ever comeback in a grand final at 3/4 is 24 points in 1984. They’d want to be a bit closer I’d reckon.
Maybe, but it's all mental. They'll both be knackered at that stage with the heat, in this scenario.
The crowd starts "Coooollingwoood, Coooollingwoood", get a quick goal or two, and tired Lions could try and save it, which won't end well if 20 points up with 15 minutes to go...

an american and a Swans Reject dismantled Oscar in the ruck....

facts
Total proffessional, Mason Cox is a marvelous story, the Big Tree I call him, and I 'm a Hawk but gee has he worked and adapted, I just knew he would do something, and be a success, very interesting player.

But I always was unhappy about the end of the 2018 Grand Final, (block or shepherd) paid mark thar should have been a collingwood free.
But I thought besides my usual whinge bloody umpires, that Mason would probably never get another chance , 5 years later
he's a Premiership Player and 1st ruckman, great story.

But don't think I 'll praising him when he plays my Hawks. heh heh heh!

If there’s two things I am sick of hearing it’s “non-biased” and “neutral” with flogs like yourself who are anything but, yet claim to be, in an attempt to be oh-so-discerning and oh-so-rational whilst deliberately de-legitimising the Collingwood win.

I’ll put it to you simply. If you were non-biased you wouldn’t have written the crap you wrote and you wouldn’t be so utterly deluded. No one cares you tipped Collingwood. That doesn’t somehow give your drivel any more credibility.
If you're non-bias, you'd see the climax of the game for how obvious it was handed Collingwood by the umpires. No amount of your ad hominems change that fact. I'm not being diplomatic, the truth is I did tip Collingwood to win beforehand and thought they should have finished off Brisbane much earlier, their inaccuracy was unreal.

If you're non-bias, you'd see the climax of the game for how obvious it was handed Collingwood by the umpires. No amount of your ad hominems change that fact. I'm not being diplomatic, the truth is I did tip Collingwood to win beforehand and thought they should have finished off Brisbane much earlier, their inaccuracy was unreal.
I rest my case.

Did anyone notice that after the Lions took the lead, the Pies infringed the 6-6-6 rule at the next centre bounce, which meant the ball was thrown up instead of bounced? The reduced height doesn't allow much of a jump, which favoured Cox and allowed him to get the tap down to Daicos and led to a very quick goal.

I'm not complaining at all, it's absolutely genius coaching by Fly if it was intentional. Would love to see someone put the question to him and find out (honestly the rules should probably be changed, though I've long been of the opinion that only the first ball up of the game should be bounced, or maybe the first of each quarter, just to reduce to skill-load on umpires).

Set play or nay?
The fact we still have warnings is stupid. Surely everyone knows the rules now and if you infringe it should just be a free kick.

If there’s two things I am sick of hearing it’s “non-biased” and “neutral” with flogs like yourself who are anything but, yet claim to be, in an attempt to be oh-so-discerning and oh-so-rational whilst deliberately de-legitimising the Collingwood win.

I’ll put it to you simply. If you were non-biased you wouldn’t have written the crap you wrote and you wouldn’t be so utterly deluded. No one cares you tipped Collingwood. That doesn’t somehow give your drivel any more credibility.
Good point , Collingwood had to fight to win that game, in the dying minutes they got two goals against them from Charlie and Joe, and the free to Sidebottom his kick was pure football skill and I thought he would not get the distance then DeGoey what can you say perfect position, kick on the run, with power, and bingo they still held out and deserved every bit of that win.

The umpiring to me was just OK , just!

But the general feel for the AFL rules these days for me, is one of terrible disappointment, so many things umpires have available to call and so many penalties that should not be penalties, accidental and incidental , but I have to say 18 Clubs now have to put up with it every week every game, and it is the main subject in the media , the penalties the frees the mistakes, the MRP , many frees are just unexplainable or accidents, sometimes they create advantages, and it needs a much deeper looking into by the AFL and who ever leads it. Before next year,
Because it can be off putting and umpires have driven me out of the TV room a couple of times.? Haha

Its a thing that I know lots of people have felt, the AFL seem blind to it.
But your Pies won fair and square, and ifs and buts from drongo's means nothing, you copped some garbage from the umpires too.

The fact we still have warnings is stupid. Surely everyone knows the rules now and if you infringe it should just be a free kick.
But no one understands the rules!
And if a free kick had won that game for Brisbane , then the AFL and its rules committee are exactly what I say most weeks, incompetent and have screwed the game by over complication too much power in the umpires who don't understand the inner feel of Aussie rules.

. Even to ask whether 6x6x6 should be free kicked is insane. FREE KICKS all but RULE the sport now.
And if it gets worse, it'll be 2 free shots from 10 metres out.
I and many more won't be watching. or paying membership fees either.

But no one understands the rules!
And if a free kick had won that game for Brisbane , then the AFL and its rules committee are exactly what I say most weeks, incompetent and have screwed the game by over complication too much power in the umpires who don't understand the inner feel of Aussie rules.

. Even to ask whether 6x6x6 should be free kicked is insane. FREE KICKS all but RULE the sport now.
And if it gets worse, it'll be 2 free shots from 10 metres out.
I and many more won't be watching. or paying membership fees either.

You are wrong. Finished. By the way Coll has copped a loss by umpire stupidity or confusion, but a mistake none the less.. So get of the bandwagon of words that now mean nothing!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You are wrong. Finished. By the way Coll has copped a loss by umpire stupidity or confusion, but a mistake none the less.. So get of the bandwagon of words that now mean nothing!
Of course, every team has bad decisions go against them by the umpires. The last 5 minutes of that GF it was against The Lions, if it were the other way round I would have called it out. I wasn't referencing the entire game, just the climax. And any bias I had it was towards Collingwood for my tip and thinking they should have won by far more. What's the issue with a person having a perspective on the match? I'm suppose to claim every umpire decision was correct that went towards Collingwood?

I think I stated "the ending" specifically ruined the spectacle by umpire intervention, and no consistency all going Collingwood's way. There's obviously umpiring results that went both ways throughout. You could sit there all day and try and measure who won umpire favouritism.
Gardiner should have copped a 50 m penalty when Cox marked 30m out. When the ball was on the ground, he picked it up kicked the ball away. Clear 50m when the only possible reason for the whistle was a Cox mark. The Markov fifty was outrageous and at a time when we were all over the Lions. Whateley called it horrendous. The "high" tackle given to Hipwood for a shot on goal which he normally eats was a farce. Moore's hand went nowhere near his neck or shoulder. He clasped around his mid back. There were many on both sides so why bring up a moment in the last minute?

View attachment 1821650
The umpire is about to call Play One, so Bailey can then lunge in for the smother.
What was Bailey doing there?
He’s not tracking an opponent, as none are in view and his focus is on Cox anyway.
Is he within the Protected Area?
Should this be a 50?

It’s a borderline call.

Bailey is tracking Quaynor, and is moving away from Cox.

However he’s not exactly sprinting to follow him. I actually think Bailey knew exactly what he was doing and waiting for the moment to pounce.

I’m not 100% sure, but on the audio it sounds to me like the umpire instructing Bailey to stay out is the one boundary side, while the one who calls play on is towards the middle of the ground. I’m not sure if that made any difference.

However, if we’re talking borderline 50s then the Sidebottom one is also that.

Personally I don’t think there were that many obvious umpire errors. I think it was a well umpired game and the Pies were deserving premiers.

It’s a borderline call.

Bailey is tracking Quaynor, and is moving away from Cox.

However he’s not exactly sprinting to follow him. I actually think Bailey knew exactly what he was doing and waiting for the moment to pounce.

I’m not 100% sure, but on the audio it sounds to me like the umpire instructing Bailey to stay out is the one boundary side, while the one who calls play on is towards the middle of the ground. I’m not sure if that made any difference.

However, if we’re talking borderline 50s then the Sidebottom one is also that.

Personally I don’t think there were that many obvious umpire errors. I think it was a well umpired game and the Pies were deserving premiers.
Borderline?? Berry wrapped his arms around Sidey and threw him to the ground! It's the most obvious 50m in the history of the game! Hence the thousands of Pie fans standing as one and pointing down the ground. Be serious....please.

Borderline?? Berry wrapped his arms around Sidey and threw him to the ground! It's the most obvious 50m in the history of the game!

For the record I think it was the right call.

However you regularly see players dragged down in the act of marking in a clear attempt to hold up play and not get called for 50m. Especially considering how lenient the umpiring tends to be in the dying stages of a final I think it was a 50/50 call as to whether that would be paid.

Hence the thousands of Pie fans standing as one and pointing down the ground. Be serious....please.

Come on, you’re not suggesting that thousands of supporters of the club that stands to benefit from a call, appealing for said call suggests that it is necessarily the correct call?

Are we gonna start paying free kicks every time they call ball?

Soggy 2112, Berry didn’t drag Sidebottom down. He basically threw him to the ground. Nowhere near a 50/50 call. More like a 95/5.

Even Luke Hodge, who had been riding the Lions all day, and Matthew Richardson and James Brayshaw had no doubt it was a clear 50 metre penalty.

Berry didn’t drag Sidebottom down. He basically threw him to the ground. Nowhere near a 50/50 call. More like a 95/5.

Even Luke Hodge, who had been riding the Lions all day, and Matthew Richardson and James Brayshaw had no doubt it was a clear 50 metre penalty.
That was 100%, would have been a riot if that wasn't paid

I'll never get the advantage one though, that was terrible, technically correct but stupid in the circumstances

Back