EDFL Div 1 Discussion 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

Isn’t it a financial issue? something happen between Netball and Football I heard.
No more money and coach and players walk. Might be wrong but only what I have been told.
Either way , club must be unhappy as they looked to be on the way up .
Such a shame, Rupo almost the feel good story of 2023 with there rise up the ladder and looked to be in such a strong position heading forward. Played a very entertaining brand of footy. How quickly things can turn south.

Isn’t it a financial issue? something happen between Netball and Football I heard.
No more money and coach and players walk. Might be wrong but only what I have been told.
I'm sure that's what the public will be told if they get questioned lol

On SM-G970F using BigFooty.com mobile app

I know a few Gisborne boys, new Rupo coach was their coach last year, they went from a flag to missing the finals and they reckon no one liked him not surprised from what they've said that he'd shit talk players in a group chat

I know a few Gisborne boys, new Rupo coach was their coach last year, they went from a flag to missing the finals and they reckon no one liked him not surprised from what they've said that he'd s**t talk players in a group chat
If the President at rupo backed Skip Bray none of this would've happened. He left because the president didn't back him for some silly reason. Looks like things will get worse as time goes on. And good on the boys who left after old mates been talking crap about their mates. I'd tell him to get stuffed too.

If the President at rupo backed Skip Bray none of this would've happened. He left because the president didn't back him for some silly reason. Looks like things will get worse as time goes on. And good on the boys who left after old mates been talking crap about their mates. I'd tell him to get stuffed too.

I have seen some rubbish written on here before but this is right up there! Think it might be you that has the issue with the Rupo president mate.
Santa doesn’t like little boys who spread vicious rumours and lies!

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

I have seen some rubbish written on here before but this is right up there! Think it might be you that has the issue with the Rupo president mate.
Santa doesn’t like little boys who spread vicious rumours and lies!

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
The Rupo president oversaw the move to the EDFL (might be the end of ‘em), kicked out the very successful netballers so they couldn’t oppose or chew up finances, and now losing Skip after a great season and almost the entirety of the list. Think some criticism is probably warranted!

The Rupo president oversaw the move to the EDFL (might be the end of ‘em), kicked out the very successful netballers so they couldn’t oppose or chew up finances, and now losing Skip after a great season and almost the entirety of the list. Think some criticism is probably warranted!

I honestly think they should consider a move back to the RDFNL. What could happen from here could be catastrophic.

I honestly think they should consider a move back to the RDFNL. What could happen from here could be catastrophic.
The RDFNL might need some convincing to accept them back, that comp is moving forward after some tough years and they didn’t want them to leave at the time

Thanks Auck. I have no issue with Rupo. I actually gained alot of respect for them after how they treated my club in 2021 when our president passed away on game day. I was just posting what I've heard. Always thought it was odd they got rid of the netballers, they hauled arse.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The RDFNL might need some convincing to accept them back, that comp is moving forward after some tough years and they didn’t want them to leave at the time

There will certainly be some apprehension, but I think they'd take them back, the Roos too.

I'm still shocked by what's unfolded. I never saw that coming.

Does Rupo still have very strong junior sides with their ties with the school?
From memory they had extremely successful U16 & U19 sides in the past with plenty of flags.

If they do they can eventually and slowly rebound as a senior club if they can get ahold of the talented kids.

Genuine question - is it? It's a 9 team comp that has lost more than it's gained in recent years.
Kyneton joining is massive for the RDFL and the improvement from Lancefield and Woodend has strengthened it.

Adding the Gisborne Giants in 2025, and yes, I think the RDFL has turned the corner.

Genuine question - is it? It's a 9 team comp that has lost more than it's gained in recent years.
I think it’s looking in great shape. 9 teams isn’t the worst for a country league. Few years back they lost Broadford, Kangas and Rupo in the space of 3 seasons. Was talk the comp was cooked, then some folk from club land stood in and told the AFL Goldfields to stick it. Comp has bounced back, next season has loads of high profile recruits and probably as many as 5 or 6 genuine flag contenders. Rockbank leaving improves it further IMO, and with Gizzy Giants coming, Eynesbury in the years after. I have no idea how serious Gisborne are but have heard they are considering a move too.

Does Rupo still have very strong junior sides with their ties with the school?
From memory they had extremely successful U16 & U19 sides in the past with plenty of flags.

If they do they can eventually and slowly rebound as a senior club if they can get ahold of the talented kids.
The issues I’ve found with there juniors is they play lower division so not a positive step imo.

I think it’s looking in great shape. 9 teams isn’t the worst for a country league. Few years back they lost Broadford, Kangas and Rupo in the space of 3 seasons. Was talk the comp was cooked, then some folk from club land stood in and told the AFL Goldfields to stick it. Comp has bounced back, next season has loads of high profile recruits and probably as many as 5 or 6 genuine flag contenders. Rockbank leaving improves it further IMO, and with Gizzy Giants coming, Eynesbury in the years after. I have no idea how serious Gisborne are but have heard they are considering a move too.
To each their own of course but that seems a little optimistic.
They've lost a handful of clubs and replaced them with Kyneton.
There is projected growth incoming by way of Eynesbury, Giants as you've noted but there's no certainty around their viability as senior clubs.
Gisborne were linked with Ballarat rather than the RDFNL.
IIRC Goldfields took over initially because the previous caretakers essentially couldn't be trusted. It appears that the ship has been steadied but I'm not sure it's in a position to knock back viable clubs seeking to enter, particularly if the previous separation wasn't ugly.
IMO having the Sunbury clubs return makes sense as their fit within the EDFL was always slightly questionable.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back