Best neutral game you've been to?

Remove this Banner Ad

I was just replying to someone on facebook and the below game came to mind as the best game I've been to live outside of Adelaide games and easily in my top 4 including Adelaide games. And it got me thinking, Besides games involving your own club; what is the best game you've been to.

Mine's this

I get along to a few MCG games and finals as an MCC member and last year's preliminary final between Hawthorn and Geelong is up there. I was consigned to standing room for the first time this side of 2000 and enjoyed the experience nonetheless. The margin made it even more exciting particularly with all that Kennett Curse nonsense having the town abuzz.
The Richmond-Carlton final was also excellent just for the fact Richmond was there, I don't like them at all but they're bloody loud when they're going well. While I have the comic material of them finally making the finals and losing to 9th to use, the roar on the siren if they'd won that game by a close margin would stay with me forever.
One game I found to have a bizarrely electric atmosphere was the Hawthorn-Adelaide preliminary final in 2012 - the Crows turnout over here was fantastic and the game was too close for comfort. Neither me or anyone I know has gotten over 1997 so I wasn't exactly willing the Crows across the line but gee it would've been funny. Cracking game.

Hard to pick one out of that bunch for me, and that's all fairly recent - drawing a blank on neutral games I went to before the last 4 or 5 years, wasn't many without the membership.

Every neutral game I go to turns into a flogging and a bit of a meh game. Geelong V Hawthorn (Rd15) last year was probably the closest and best I guess, 10 points.

1994 Prelim Geelong v North
1995 Anzac Day draw
1993 Ablett-Salmon shootout

Prolly my top 3.

Honourable mention to the round 22, 1997 Carlton v Richmond game at Princes Park. Electric atmos.

prefer watching on TV, i have maybe been to 20 games overall, but i was at the '99 PF... pretty mad atmosphere.

Round 16 2001: North Melbourne vs Essendon at the MCG. That was the first ever game I went to as a neutral.

Trailing by 69 points at one stage and Essendon were able came back and ended up winning in what was the greatest comeback of all-time. It was a shot out. A total of 52 goals were scored that day.

Only ever been to one neutral game in my life.

A Fremantle vs. Sydney game at Subi in either 2003/2004.
Most of my games were when I was in Sydney.
Just about all the ANZ games in the 2004-07 period. As well as a couple of SCG games. I can think of 3 off the top of my head that I went to with my dad (Including the one in the OP). But I think I went to a few other games as well using a mates season tickets.
And I've been to two Port games in Adelaide since I moved here (vs Carlton in 2010 and vs Melbourne in I think 2011, might've been 10, don't know)

Brisbane Richmond in I cant remember what year at Etihad ( 2010?)

The year Richo killed it on the wing and Joel Bowden Goaled on the siren to win the game for tigers who came from behind at 3qtr time to win
I have never been so enthralled in a neutral game in my life however I was roaring for the tigers in the last

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Saw Fevola on the boundary against Adelaide, Carlton couldn't get the ball in their half in the 1st qtr...

There was a Carlton vs Hawthorn game at the MCG a few years back, Blues fans started leaving early, only for Blues to mount an unlikely comeback. Then Blues fans came back to their seats and were very chirpy, Fev had a shot at goal to win game but hit the post and Blues fans went off sulking again.

Went to a cracking Prelim final in 97 and saw the injury riddled Sainters get up over North in remarkable style.

Think that might have been the game schwass missed due to suspension for stomping on a player the week before. Pagan held him personally responsible for the loss and gave him a massive spray on tbe sidelines after the game. Schwass was a Swan the next year.

The Essendon Vs North clash in 1999, easily. It was 1st vs 2nd, both teams at the top of their game and the stars from both teams were playing sublime football. The 1/4 time score of 8.1(49) to 7.2(44) was incredible, seeing as there are games played today where the full-time scoreline has less goals kicked.

There was no comeback in this one, it was back and forth until the end. The Bombers finished off slightly better and won with a scoreline of 24 goals to 20. Carey had kicked 10 in a losing team, Lloyd 7 for the Bombers. I wish we could see footy like that again, brilliant skills, attacking football and highlights non-stop.

2 Geelong vs Hawthorn games:

The Tom Hawkins after the siren one and last year's Preliminary Final. Sensational games both of them

Richmond vs Carlton in the finals last year was a cracker too. The roar at the G in this game when Garlett ran into the open goal, and also at the end of Hawks/Cats Prelim last year - spine tingling. In fact at the Preliminary Final it was so loud no one even heard the siren

Remove this Banner Ad

Back