List Mgmt. 2014 Draft Trade FA Megathread

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Upgrade Weller to cover Armo's spot. Use 5 and 10 on the best key forward available (unless we'd be reaching). Rahul, who would that be? (Durdin + Goddard?)
Bid on Darcy Moore with 10 (assuming Collingwood have a worse pick) and consider Hugh Goddard if he slides. Bit of a reach at 5 for me. Durdin, Paddy and Wright should be gone.

Bid on Darcy Moore with 10 (assuming Collingwood have a worse pick) and consider Hugh Goddard if he slides. Bit of a reach at 5 for me. Durdin, Paddy and Wright should be gone.
Bidding's done prior to any trades, we'd have to bid 5 or our next pick

Could do something similar to the Tyson/Pick 2 trade last year if Melb/Carlton have a top 3 pick to trade.

Armo, our first (pick 6 or whatever) and our 3rd (42ish) for pick 2, 2nd round (20ish) and 4th (56ish)

In: 2, 20, 56
Out: Armo, 6, 42

One advantage Geelong has that never gets talked about is their very unique home ground option.

Far enough away from Melbourne to be a hassle for Vic teams yet not so far they can't occasionally get to Etihad or the G.

They get to play most (all?) their home games against non Vic clubs there as well as the bottom ranked Melbourne teams who might only visit once every 3-5 years.

Very, very good setup that.

And they make a huge wad of cash every time they play there.

Could do something similar to the Tyson/Pick 2 trade last year if Melb/Carlton have a top 3 pick to trade.

Armo, our first (pick 6 or whatever) and our 3rd (42ish) for pick 2, 2nd round (20ish) and 4th (56ish)

If it was the other way around and we were offered that, would you take that deal?

Is 56 worth more than it has for the last few years? How deep is the draft?

It seems to me that would be valuing Armo at pick 16 or thereabouts. Which is probably more than most would value him.
If pick 2 doesn't work out, its a massive lose.

To me drafting talls is very high risk, and maybe the PP ( Pelchen Plan ) is to build a gun midfield and get a tall forward by other means .

2005 Josh Kennedy - Yes -Became and effective forward in his 4th season
2006 lleuenberger and Gumbleton - cruelled by injury, Mitch Thorp, still available if you want him.
2007 Kreuzer , Henderson Kreuzer was an effective ruck fairly early, not so much a forward.
2008 Watts, Naitenui, Questions still being asked on both of these players.
2009 John Butcher , 5th season and we are looking for his arrival.
2010 Sam Day - didn't quite work out as planned ( so far ) Tom Lynch -seems to be good for a goal or 2.

That's the issue, you go trading big to try to get these guys you can throw the baby out with the bathwater.
And if we are talking 2017 , even a good pick will be just starting to be viable.

The player traded for a pick downgrade last year is averaging 31 touches in only his third year. Armitage is in his 8th year and is averaging 21. THAT'S the kind of player it takes to give up pick 2.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

To me drafting talls is very high risk, and maybe the PP ( Pelchen Plan ) is to build a gun midfield and get a tall forward by other means .

2005 Josh Kennedy - Yes -Became and effective forward in his 4th season
2006 lleuenberger and Gumbleton - cruelled by injury, Mitch Thorp, still available if you want him.
2007 Kreuzer , Henderson Kreuzer was an effective ruck fairly early, not so much a forward.
2008 Watts, Naitenui, Questions still being asked on both of these players.
2009 John Butcher , 5th season and we are looking for his arrival.
2010 Sam Day - didn't quite work out as planned ( so far ) Tom Lynch -seems to be good for a goal or 2.

That's the issue, you go trading big to try to get these guys you can throw the baby out with the bathwater.
And if we are talking 2017 , even a good pick will be just starting to be viable.

Ditto - Hawkins.

Problem is that we probably need 2 gun talls once Roo retires. You would have to hope that at least one of Lee or Rhys develop into something good.

Sydney are aces at doing this... Lockett... Hall... Tippet... Buddy etc etc. Maybe we have to do the same. That's why I like the idea of getting Frawley as a KPF.

Would also have our second rounder (24 or so)

WC in 05/06 were another example of how far a really good midfield can take you. That was a putrid forward line they dragged to GF's.

Very true. Judd, Cousins, Kerr and Embley all hit the scoreboard. You look at the Hawks and they don't have the one key forward. A lot of even goal scoring contributors - Gunston, Breust, Roughy etc.

No way does Dempster get trader at the end of year, our best backman by mile

Does this mean we're not looking for a buddy/rival for Holmes or are our recruiters are too busy scouring New Zuland (or maybe looking even closer to home)?

I think there's only so many dev spots available and we've got a couple already filled. Holmes doesn't count towards the rookie list, neither does Baker-Thomas. I would think you'd be allowed 2 or 3 at most.
In fact since Hawthorn's manager confirmed they would go out of their way to have international devs on their list, and they only only have 2, I'm guessing 2 if your limit unless you give up/use a rookie spot.

Last edited:
I think there's only so many dev spots available and we've got a couple already filled. Holmes doesn't count towards the rookie list, neither does Baker-Thomas. I would think you'd be allowed 2 or 3 at most.
In fact since Hawthorn's manager confirmed they would go out of their way to have international devs on their list, and they only only have 2, I'm guessing 2 if your limit unless you give up/use a rookie spot.
Looked it up, three's the limit on category B rookies before you go into the main rookie list, right Holmes is our only one. Baker-Thomas will be eligible for a spot this year or next (not sure of his birth date), Mountain would be eligible next year at the earliest.

Thought the international rookie list was larger than that for some reason. Even so, would've been nice for the club to at least eye the US prospects in case there was a beauty.

Anyone watching the Gold coast v GWS game, Tomlinson been really good so far

Anyone watching the Gold coast v GWS game, Tomlinson been really good so far

Yes he has but would not give up our first draft pick for him! That is sacrosanct - especially in such a good draft.

Yes I agree that he would be good as one of the two KPF's that we need but I think the p[rice would be too high and we would not go for it...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back