2nds VFL Round 17 - Geelong v Frankston, Simonds Stadium, 12:00PM Saturday 2 August

Remove this Banner Ad

From he selections this year, it seems reasonable to assume that Stringer is preferred. However, I'm surprised that Schroder hasn't been given a chance at all, as he seems to possess all the skills of a genuine crumber (and good finisher) that has been something we've clearly lacked all year. And here we are, another year nearly in the books and still too many guys in their early-20s that we really have little idea about as AFL players.

Spot on Dollop - whilst Geelong have made a great effort to blood new players over the last 2 years I will still be very p*ssed off if players like Schedder, Thurlow and Hamling go to other clubs for want of opportunity and are good players (and i think they will be). With the run up to the finals against tough opposition it would be very surprised if they try these players now.

Really missed the opportunity earlier in the season - should have given these guys a game or ideally two instead of 3 rd of 4th plus games to Sheringham, Burbury, Stringer and in last game Hartman. I think this really reflects the MC's focus on top 4 finish this year, with the concern that the competition is so tight that we can only run inexperienced players if they can bring pace/tackle pressure, which is understandable, but with 2015/16 being more realistic years IMO for a chance of winning a premiership, I think they needed to be brave and try them/provide encouragement that they are part of the plans.

On one of the Injury Updates, a few weeks ago, they mentioned him. Basically the gist was they were going to take plenty of time to address his hamstring issues and I'm fairly sure it sounded like a Cowan/probably won't see much, if any, footy for the rest of the year situation.

You mean much like previous years.

Surely Stringer and Cowan are likely to be traded/delisted before others. If Enright retires, as I suspect he will, that leaves only one more to go IMO. And of all the players Brown maybe the one who asks to be traded.

In that case Schroder stays.

Surely Stringer and Cowan are likely to be traded/delisted before others. If Enright retires, as I suspect he will, that leaves only one more to go IMO. And of all the players Brown maybe the one who asks to be traded.

In that case Schroder stays.

Club has said Cowan will be on the list - just not sure of Senior or Rookie. Not a word on Stringer or Schredder.

I like Schredder a lot for what he brings - but there must be something he is not doing that the club wants. It is the only thing I can think of ( other than the car washing theory) that is keeping him out.

Don't know if its defensive work, tank, strength, training efforts or what - and he clearly has skills as he has posted week after week - and he has hand some really badly timed injuries - but it must be something. Perhaps it is just timing….

Would hate to see him go as a 21 year old after all the effort thus far….

Go Catters

Club has said Cowan will be on the list - just not sure of Senior or Rookie. Not a word on Stringer or Schredder.

I like Schredder a lot for what he brings - but there must be something he is not doing that the club wants. It is the only thing I can think of ( other than the car washing theory) that is keeping him out.

Don't know if its defensive work, tank, strength, training efforts or what - and he clearly has skills as he has posted week after week - and he has hand some really badly timed injuries - but it must be something. Perhaps it is just timing….

Go Catters
Reminds me of hawks and hallahan, great VFL player that just couldn't get a game as others were in front of him.
Got a go this year and hasn't looked out of place, same sort of players too.
I hope we keep him, next year will be a big year for him, just depends wether it's at the cats.

Go Catters
It may be that , or it may be they just don't see the upside. They have made the call. Very tough but it happens , and when it does then players just seem to get ignored or glued while chances go others. Some time its old guys like ROK in Syd atm , when Bomber was building our list he did that with Arnott. Sometimes its kids....and when Geelong go out and get Caddy, Jansen etc then maybe they just don't rate him as an AFL talent.
If that's the case I hope Geelong do the right thing , keep him in the loop and arrange for a trade a years end.

It may be that , or it may be they just don't see the upside. They have made the call. Very tough but it happens , and when it does then players just seem to get ignored or glued while chances go others. Some time its old guys like ROK in Syd atm , when Bomber was building our list he did that with Arnott. Sometimes its kids....and when Geelong go out and get Caddy, Jansen etc then maybe they just don't rate him as an AFL talent.
If that's the case I hope Geelong do the right thing , keep him in the loop and arrange for a trade a years end.

If they have decided to let him go, then, since there will be nothing in any trade for the club (unless it's in a multi-part deal), wouldn't they leave the choice of trade or draft up to him?

If they have decided to let him go, then, since there will be nothing in any trade for the club (unless it's in a multi-part deal), wouldn't they leave the choice of trade or draft up to him?
For sure , didn't mean to imply otherwize. Just like with Chappy , Pods etc...just facilitate it be a responsible club and do the best one can for any player they have brought into their system.

Reminds me of hawks and hallahan, great VFL player that just couldn't get a game as others were in front of him.
Got a go this year and hasn't looked out of place, same sort of players too.
I hope we keep him, next year will be a big year for him, just depends wether it's at the cats.

Would have thought Hallahan was more like Schroder, as Hallahan doesn't seem to have had any major setbacks with injury since his first year and looks like he would have been pretty close to making his debut several times in 2012 and 2013. Cowan really hasn't been anywhere near selection for three years now (obviously he's had a lot of adversity to deal with) and he was a pretty moderate performer in his previous senior experience in 2011 (unlike, say, Menzel, who, for all his talent, must also be close to his last chance - whether he makes the call, or the club).

Would have thought Hallahan was more like Schroder, as Hallahan doesn't seem to have had any major setbacks with injury since his first year and looks like he would have been pretty close to making his debut several times in 2012 and 2013. Cowan really hasn't been anywhere near selection for three years now (obviously he's had a lot of adversity to deal with) and he was a pretty moderate performer in his previous senior experience in 2011 (unlike, say, Menzel, who, for all his talent, must also be close to his last chance - whether he makes the call, or the club).

I think OzeSparky might have been talking about Schroder (though it could have been Cowan).

I don't think Cowan's performances in 2011 were all that moderate, averaging 10 disposals in less than 50% game time, which is pretty good pro rata for your first 3 games; and he also looked pretty handy to me. He also starred, of course in last year's 2nds game where he was notoriously over-played on his return from a hammy.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think OzeSparky might have been talking about Schroder (though it could have been Cowan).

I don't think Cowan's performances in 2011 were all that moderate, averaging 10 disposals in less than 50% game time, which is pretty good pro rata for your first 3 games; and he also looked pretty handy to me. He also starred, of course in last year's 2nds game where he was notoriously over-played on his return from a hammy.

I'm meant moderate in that he was ok in 2011, but he wasn't exactly at the level of guys like Menzel, Duncan, Christensen (and, to a lesser extent, Vardy prior to injury), who gave the match committee no choice but to keep selecting them that year, ultimately ahead of some pretty established veterans. If we disregard injured players, has there been any point in Cowan's career where he would have been ranked in the top 30 players on our list? I'm not sure there would have been.

Another home VFL game at KP and no coverage other than Twitter from GFC…

Tigers and Pies can do a radio stream….

#frustration…

Go Catters

I'm meant moderate in that he was ok in 2011, but he wasn't exactly at the level of guys like Menzel, Duncan, Christensen (and, to a lesser extent, Vardy prior to injury), who gave the match committee no choice but to keep selecting them that year, ultimately ahead of some pretty established veterans. If we disregard injured players, has there been any point in Cowan's career where he would have been ranked in the top 30 players on our list? I'm not sure there would have been.

Probably true in all you say, but it seems to me that the MC was pretty keen on him early on, and that on what I've seen in his limited appearances he showed at least as much (in fact, more than) Schroder/Stringer/Sheringham. He's also looked to me like a bit of a steal at 56, and maybe club egos have the same feeling.
I think the reality is that he will, like Menzel, be treated by the club as one of our own unless and until injuries make retirement inevitable.
With the proviso that if he plays next season and fails to impress, he'll be in the slot for delisting like any other failed player. But I don't think there'll be any precedent-setting dismissal by our club until he's had a genuine chance to show his wares, whether it be in 1sts or 2nds.

Probably true in all you say, but it seems to me that the MC was pretty keen on him early on, and that on what I've seen in his limited appearances he showed at least as much (in fact, more than) Schroder/Stringer/Sheringham. He's also looked to me like a bit of a steal at 56, and maybe club egos have the same feeling.
Could be just as easily argued that a kid who was taken at 54 and won the VFL's best player award as a 20 year old is just as much a "steal".

Added bonus, Schroder can pretty much stay on the park and is younger.

I'm certainly not anti-Cowan but I'll also happily argue Schroder's case.

Sadly, as much as I like him, I can't see why he'd want to stay at the club considering he gets little opportunity to show what he might be capable of in senior company.

I'd hope Geelong (if a request comes either from Schroder or another club) trades him if the chance presents itself.

Can't see the value of tying him to another 1 or 2 year contract if he is only going to get sporadic game-time in the seniors (and that is where the evidence is currently pointing).

Be better off freeing up the list space and bringing in another kid to develop.

We know what Schroder can do at VFL level.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back