2nds VFL Round 17 - Geelong v Frankston, Simonds Stadium, 12:00PM Saturday 2 August

Remove this Banner Ad

Could be just as easily argued that a kid who was taken at 54 and won the VFL's best player award as a 20 year old is just as much a "steal".

Added bonus, Schroder can pretty much stay on the park and is younger.

I'm certainly not anti-Cowan but I'll also happily argue Schroder's case.

Sadly, as much as I like him, I can't see why he'd want to stay at the club considering he gets little opportunity to show what he might be capable of in senior company.

I'd hope Geelong (if a request comes either from Schroder or another club) trades him if the chance presents itself.

Can't see the value of tying him to another 1 or 2 year contract if he is only going to get sporadic game-time in the seniors (and that is where the evidence is currently pointing).

Be better off freeing up the list space and bringing in another kid to develop.

We know what Schroder can do at VFL level.

I have no explanation as to why Schroder has not been given a run a la Sheringham/Stringer, other than that when they had him slotted for a bit of a go, he may have been injured again. Otherwise, it could only be that in the eyes of the MC he is guilty of some sin of commission or omission which they think needs to be corrected. I will say that whenever I've seen him (1s or 2s), he does seem to me to play in quarters rather than whole games, albeit they are sometimes very big quarters.

Another home VFL game at KP and no coverage other than Twitter from GFC…

Tigers and Pies can do a radio stream….

#frustration…

Go Catters
To be fair. It's VFL.
They probably live on gate receipts and money spent at the canteen.

They'd like little live coverage.

Could be just as easily argued that a kid who was taken at 54 and won the VFL's best player award as a 20 year old is just as much a "steal".

Added bonus, Schroder can pretty much stay on the park and is younger.

I'm certainly not anti-Cowan but I'll also happily argue Schroder's case.

Sadly, as much as I like him, I can't see why he'd want to stay at the club considering he gets little opportunity to show what he might be capable of in senior company.

I'd hope Geelong (if a request comes either from Schroder or another club) trades him if the chance presents itself.

Can't see the value of tying him to another 1 or 2 year contract if he is only going to get sporadic game-time in the seniors (and that is where the evidence is currently pointing).

Be better off freeing up the list space and bringing in another kid to develop.

We know what Schroder can do at VFL level.

I feel that Schroder's chances of making it disappeared when we brought in Caddy, they fit the same archetype. Generally football at VFL level is a more contested game than at AFL level which favors Schroder's preferred playing style, in general there are a lot fewer disposals and a lot more stoppages. The reason the club is backing Cowan is because he was killing it on the outside, a ball magnet while also showing decent ability on the inside, to me he looked AFL ready under minimal match fitness.

I have no explanation as to why Schroder has not been given a run a la Sheringham/Stringer, other than that when they had him slotted for a bit of a go, he may have been injured again. Otherwise, it could only be that in the eyes of the MC he is guilty of some sin of commission or omission which they think needs to be corrected. I will say that whenever I've seen him (1s or 2s), he does seem to me to play in quarters rather than whole games, albeit they are sometimes very big quarters.
You might have hit the nail right on the head there.

He tends to disappear at times (or perhaps go unnoticed is a better description). Being a proper inside mid that can sometimes happen as his work gets missed in packs of bodies.

I still think he could be useful sitting at Hawkins feet.

The kid knows where the goals are and is hard at it.

Probably true in all you say, but it seems to me that the MC was pretty keen on him early on, and that on what I've seen in his limited appearances he showed at least as much (in fact, more than) Schroder/Stringer/Sheringham. He's also looked to me like a bit of a steal at 56, and maybe club egos have the same feeling.
I think the reality is that he will, like Menzel, be treated by the club as one of our own unless and until injuries make retirement inevitable.
With the proviso that if he plays next season and fails to impress, he'll be in the slot for delisting like any other failed player. But I don't think there'll be any precedent-setting dismissal by our club until he's had a genuine chance to show his wares, whether it be in 1sts or 2nds.

Ya what?

I feel that Schroder's chances of making it disappeared when we brought in Caddy, they fit the same archetype. Generally football at VFL level is a more contested game than at AFL level which favors Schroder's preferred playing style, in general there are a lot fewer disposals and a lot more stoppages. The reason the club is backing Cowan is because he was killing it on the outside, a ball magnet while also showing decent ability on the inside, to me he looked AFL ready under minimal match fitness.

Agree on what I've seen of Cowan.

See above.

I just hope if they keep Cowan on the list it is as a Rookie.

With so many injuries to players like Menzel, Simpson, Vardy, Kersten, McCarthy, HMac, etc - we have had fewer ND picks than we would have liked (as we would have found out about their likely progress much earlier and traded/delisted a few maybe and picked up a few more players - OR we wouldn't have needed more ND picks as the young players we had were working out).

We just cannot keep players that are on the injury list for years on end and keep them on the senior list - thus depriving Wells ND picks. It will catch up with us eventually.

ND picks are lotteries really and Wells has shown you can get good players with 20 +, 30 + and 40 + picks - if he has enough of them.

So it will be Menzel's last chance next season and Cowan needs to be on the Rookie list freeing up senior spot for ND pick.

And I maintain Stringer and THunt will not be best 22 players. Good depth players but should be traded for upgrade on our 2/3 ND picks this season. Sure they will not get us any serious upgrades in our picks - but even an upgrade on our second and third picks by 4 or 5 positions would be good.

Personally I would prefer to keep Brown over both these players - Cowan becomes a Rookie (assuming no one else picks him up) and Enright probably retires.

That means we open up 4 senior spots - one for Blitz and have 3 live ND picks. Hopefully a bit better than we would have had with some trading.

I would say the odds are heavily in our favour to get a very good player from 3 picks - especially if they were somewhat upgraded. For example if Wells had pick 15/16, pick 28/29 and pick 42/43.

In this scenario we keep Brown and Schroder - who still have some chance of making it IMO - more so than Stringer, THunt and Cowan. Sure they my not make it either but they will have 1 more year to show us and that should be enough to make a good final decision on them.

I feel that Schroder's chances of making it disappeared when we brought in Caddy, they fit the same archetype.
Maybe.

But, and I've said this before, if that was the case why not trade out Schroder last year after he just won the Liston.

His value would have been high right there.

So if Caddy had taken his spot, move on Schroder and start developing another kid.

Or, to open the can of worms further, keep Chapman or Podsiadly for this year.

Watching from the outside I'll never know why Schroder isn't afforded the same opportunities as some of his other peers around the same age.

As such, I think he should look elsewhere to try his luck.

Maybe.

But, and I've said this before, if that was the case why not trade out Schroder last year after he just won the Liston.

His value would have been high right there.

So if Caddy had taken his spot, move on Schroder and start developing another kid.

Or, to open the can of worms further, keep Chapman or Podsiadly for this year.

Watching from the outside I'll never know why Schroder isn't afforded the same opportunities as some of his other peers around the same age.

As such, I think he should look elsewhere to try his luck.

You can't trade a player if nobody wants him or offers us decent deal, if I were another team's list manager I wouldn't offer anything more than a pick in the 50s. Just because he isn't getting game time doesn't mean he doesn't add value to the team. He protects our younger players at VFL level, he could be an excellent trainer off field, helps set up a good culture. In general similar to what Sherringham provides. Not every kid we draft will make it at AFL level, their isn't enough opportunity available. It might be in his best interest to look elsewhere but he does add to the club.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Damn! Thought this was tomorrow- meant to check last night but forgot. Just got home from driving the taxi!! Wouldn't have hung the 'for hire' sign up if I'd realised :(
I guess there's no coverage?
vfl twitter….

and me…

Son of God is adding to it too…:thumbsu:

Go Catters

Hey guys bit of a half time update. Cats playing really well. Moving the ball quickly and foot skills have generally been pretty good. Frankston stepped up the pressure in the first half of the second qtr but cats managed to get back on top. Few updates on some players.
Lang - had a really good first qtr found a bit of the ball and the highlight was his foot skills. Hitting players lace out every time, even on his left. Had a quite start to the second qtr but found a bit of it in the second half of the qtr. kids going to be a player. Super composed and his pressure on the opposition is top notch.
Brown - been really impressed with brown. Kicked a couple of nice long range goals and is presenting well and is marking everything. His intensity seems to have lifted a bit of late and is the focal point up forward. His first qtr was excellent
Luxford - had a really good first qtr too and took a couple of really good contested marks in the forward 50 but wasn't able to convert. Did kick a good goal from the pocket though on the run. Hard as nails too, came flying through a pack of players and collected the ball off the ground. Looks a prospect considering his non football background.
Jansen - has been quiet but has done a couple of nice things. Roved the ball of the ruck men at one point and brushed of 2 Frankston opponents to get himself clear. Reminds me a lot if josh Kennedy. Contested ball winner who uses his awareness to free up teamates by hand.
Smedts - billie has been really good down back. Had plenty of the ball and has used it really well. Running of jus opponent and linking up really well too. Has been really smart using it when kicking out.
Hartman - had a good first qtr and was doing all the things he's becoming known for. Winning contested ball and tacking hard. Kicked a ripper goal were he sharked an opposition handball and cool as drilled it from 45
Thurlow - continuing on with his good form. Hasn't had heaps of it but looks composed and a level above when he gas the ball.
McCarthy - has been a bit quite today after his big game last week so hopefully he can have a good second half.
Cats playing well and really should be looking at a decent win here. Second half about to start.

Hey guys bit of a half time update. Cats playing really well. Moving the ball quickly and foot skills have generally been pretty good. Frankston stepped up the pressure in the first half of the second qtr but cats managed to get back on top. Few updates on some players.
Lang - had a really good first qtr found a bit of the ball and the highlight was his foot skills. Hitting players lace out every time, even on his left. Had a quite start to the second qtr but found a bit of it in the second half of the qtr. kids going to be a player. Super composed and his pressure on the opposition is top notch.
Brown - been really impressed with brown. Kicked a couple of nice long range goals and is presenting well and is marking everything. His intensity seems to have lifted a bit of late and is the focal point up forward. His first qtr was excellent
Luxford - had a really good first qtr too and took a couple of really good contested marks in the forward 50 but wasn't able to convert. Did kick a good goal from the pocket though on the run. Hard as nails too, came flying through a pack of players and collected the ball off the ground. Looks a prospect considering his non football background.
Jansen - has been quiet but has done a couple of nice things. Roved the ball of the ruck men at one point and brushed of 2 Frankston opponents to get himself clear. Reminds me a lot if josh Kennedy. Contested ball winner who uses his awareness to free up teamates by hand.
Smedts - billie has been really good down back. Had plenty of the ball and has used it really well. Running of jus opponent and linking up really well too. Has been really smart using it when kicking out.
Hartman - had a good first qtr and was doing all the things he's becoming known for. Winning contested ball and tacking hard. Kicked a ripper goal were he sharked an opposition handball and cool as drilled it from 45
Thurlow - continuing on with his good form. Hasn't had heaps of it but looks composed and a level above when he gas the ball.
McCarthy - has been a bit quite today after his big game last week so hopefully he can have a good second half.
Cats playing well and really should be looking at a decent win here. Second half about to start.
Thanks a billion Waxy!! Great to get that report from you. Much appreciated!! :)

Sopay flakes with a speccy and Hollmer on the end of it for another

75 - 23

6 mins

Go Catters

Billie with 16 touches to this point.. VFL twitter making a point…

Go Catters

You can't trade a player if nobody wants him or offers us decent deal, if I were another team's list manager I wouldn't offer anything more than a pick in the 50s. Just because he isn't getting game time doesn't mean he doesn't add value to the team. He protects our younger players at VFL level, he could be an excellent trainer off field, helps set up a good culture. In general similar to what Sherringham provides. Not every kid we draft will make it at AFL level, their isn't enough opportunity available. It might be in his best interest to look elsewhere but he does add to the club.
Don't think I was suggesting he DIDN'T add value to the club.

My opinion is purely on whether he would be content to just play VFL and be thought of as a "depth player".

Considering the sacrifices players make to play footy I'd think they'd want to play at the highest level possible. Especially a kid who is yet to turn 21.

Perhaps others (including the coaches) think the VFL is it for Schroder.

Personally, I don't agree with that.

And that is where it comes down to "selfishness" or "selflessness". Does Schroder hang around the club (if he survives delisting) to provide depth and value or does he ask for the club to try and get a trade done so he can possibly play more senior football.

When one considers we have "given away" players like King, Gardiner, Callan, Djerkurra and Gamble I have trouble picturing how we couldn't trade out Schroder if we really wanted to.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back