Cats push for big Victorian club at KP

Remove this Banner Ad

The issue is Geelong will always play the big drawing teams in the games played in Melbourne to make sure they get the best cash benefit.
Apart from playing at the G in front of 80,000+, we get $600,000 per game profit at Simonds, so overall the best cash benefit is for us to play in Geelong if you want to just make it about money. It's also been shown that Melb members are more likely to attend SS than Geelong based members to attend a home game in Melbourne.

You ppl shouldn't lose the fact that Geelong aren't asking for 11 games in Geelong, they're asking for 8. This seems to have caused a panic in opposition supporters for some reason. Imagine, a team getting to play 8/11 games on their actual home ground. Radical. Unheard of! That's because you all only get to play 11/11 home games at the location of your choice (home or sold interstate). WE GET NO ******* CHOICE!!!

Because we ask to play games that arent at our home ground thats why. We cant just decide who and where we want to play and the AFL fixtures it.
My point is if the AFL can't accommodate Geelong's 'reasonable' request of playing 3 games at the MCG for whatever reason I don't think that gives them the right to take an extra home game from us (leaving 7 at KP instead of the 8 requested) and use it as an excuse to shunt us to etihad (2 home games lol) when it is clear Geelong has no interest in playing there as the home team.

Moreover it is in the AFL's best interest for Geelong, which is a well run club with decent attendances in the past decade, to be scheduled at the MCG for blockbuster matches so the league has something to gain from it as well, it isn't purely done out of the goodness of their hearts.

Absolutely.

If the ground is, as planned, increased to close to 40k, I see no reason for any team in the comp to not come to Geelong. In fact, I can't see a reason at the moment.
Yeah this. Essendon, Carlton, Collingwood will have to make the trip down to Geelong occasionally - however it won't be as frequent as other teams because of contracts, etc.

Probably because it's their home ground then.

No, our agreement with the AFL provides for four home game a year at the MCG, which initially were supposed to be nominated by us, but now seem not to be. Lately instead of playing Hawthorn we play Melbourne, solely for the purpose of fulfilling the AFL's contractual obligations.

Apart from playing at the G in front of 80,000+, we get $600,000 per game profit at Simonds, so overall the best cash benefit is for us to play in Geelong if you want to just make it about money. It's also been shown that Melb members are more likely to attend SS than Geelong based members to attend a home game in Melbourne.

You ppl shouldn't lose the fact that Geelong aren't asking for 11 games in Geelong, they're asking for 8. This seems to have caused a panic in opposition supporters for some reason. Imagine, a team getting to play 8/11 games on their actual home ground. Radical. Unheard of! That's because you all only get to play 11/11 home games at the location of your choice (home or sold interstate). WE GET NO ******* CHOICE!!!
You would have gotten 8 home games this year at Simmons if you had of played Freo at Etihad in the QF. But seeing it wasn't you had to make the game up this year. which will cost you 500k this year not 600k
http://m.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl...842273178?nk=12fd6e223127e99638ceabb90a9ea6f7

Can they send a big Vic team to Tassy as well rather than making Freo and Brisbane who are among the highest traveling teams already make an annual trip there

Ok, I'm not reading 14 pages but why are their 14 pages whinging about this?

Brian Cook has said Geelong want 8 games at simmons and 3 "blockbusters" in melbourne.

How is this the fault of the AFL? according to Cook geelong want's 8 games in geelong
according to cook, he want's the big games in melbourne.

the AFL is in trouble for what exactly? giving the club what it asked for?

Stands to reason if the GFC want's 11 games in Geelong they need to tell their board to start asking for 11 games in geelong instead of 8.

Ok, I'm not reading 14 pages but why are their 14 pages whinging about this?

Brian Cook has said Geelong want 8 games at simmons and 3 "blockbusters" in melbourne.

How is this the fault of the AFL? according to Cook geelong want's 8 games in geelong
according to cook, he want's the big games in melbourne.

the AFL is in trouble for what exactly? giving the club what it asked for?

Stands to reason if the GFC want's 11 games in Geelong they need to tell their board to start asking for 11 games in geelong instead of 8.

Yeah big games. Pies, Hawks etc

Not games against Carlton, North or Richmond that draw small crowds (at the Docklands). We should play those teams at SS.

Cook doesn't see why we should pick up the slack because a tenant club decides to sell their games and play elsewhere. E.g. North in Tasmania.

Subsequently, the AFL aren't fulfilling their contract obligation for X amount of games a year at the Docklands. This means we get stuck there.

Playing two games at Docklands costs us a million a year. Our home games should be at SS - unless there are compelling reasons i.e. crowds then we play at the G. But not because another club aren't fulfilling their contracted obligations.

Can you imagine if the GWS decided to play 3 games a year in NT and you had to play 3 of your home games at Skoda stadium to make up the difference... :thumbsdown: oh and doing so costs you a million dollars.

That's the gripe.

Last edited:

Not games against Carlton, North or Richmond that draw small crowds (at the Docklands). We should play those teams at SS.

Cook doesn't see why we should pick up the slack because a tenant club decides to sell their games and play elsewhere. E.g. North in Tasmania.

Subsequently, the AFL aren't fulfilling their contract obligation for X amount of games a year at the Docklands. This means we get stuck there.

Playing two games at Docklands costs us a million a year. Our home games should be at SS - unless there are compelling reasons i.e. crowds then we play at the G.

but you're only asking for 8, you get 8! the only reason you got less then 8 this year was because the afl owed docklands a game due to you guys playing freo in geelong in a final.

and don't worry seeing as we thrashed the pant's off you at the SCG. I'm sure the AFL will sentence us back down to geelong screwing over victorian based swans fans once again, thus fulfilling your 8 game request.

if you want more then 8 bitch to your board they are the ones that want 8 games.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

and don't worry seeing as we thrashed the pant's off you at the SCG. I'm sure the AFL will sentence us back down to geelong screwing over victorian based swans fans once again, thus fulfilling your 8 game request.
Cry me a river. Catch a train. Don't see how it screws over Victorian Swans fans. It's called umm... geography. Read a book; you'll learn about it.

And big deal you beat us for like the 2nd time in a decade and at your home ground. Cant say your record is stella at ours. :rolleyes:

We played Dons and Blues as "home games" at Docklands. "1 extra" that's 500k right there. That's a game North or another tenant should be playing there not us.

Last edited:
Cry me a river. Catch a train. Don't see how it screws over Victorian Swans fans. It's called umm... geography. Read a book; you'll learn about it.

And big deal you beat us for like the 2nd time in a decade and at your home ground. Cant say your record is stella at ours. :rolleyes:

We played Dons and Blues as "home games" at Docklands. "1 extra" that's 500k right there. That's a game North or another tenant should be playing there not us.

it screws swans fan over because they can't get tickets to a simmonds game without paying extra money. it's a game they lose out on.

Playing two games at Docklands costs us a million a year. Our home games should be at SS - unless there are compelling reasons i.e. crowds then we play at the G. But not because another club aren't fulfilling their contracted obligations.

Can you imagine if the GWS decided to play 3 games a year in NT and you had to play 3 of your home games at Skoda stadium to make up the difference... :thumbsdown: oh and doing so costs you a million dollars.

That's the gripe.
"The AFL aren't fulfilling their contractual obligations"

Mate to talk to a Fitzroy fan, then have your whinge about that.

Carlton would be a good guinea pig for this experiment.
They use Carlton for all the experiments - Monday night football, Thursday night football, Sunday night football...and the umpiring mistakes can be more easily covered up at Kardinia Park as well...so there are a few benefits there.
There is no financial compensation to Carlton though - only to Collingwood as they are a big club with a big, powerful president.
I think we all know how the system works by now.
Use Carlton, spit em out...and hope the game grows in developing markets/less supported clubs.

I think you've got that backwards.

Geelong isn't asking for 8 games at KP, they're asking for 3 games at the MCG. Your club wants to play in Melbourne, the AFL isn't forcing them to.

Given that, and that you'd pretty much fill KP whoever you play, playing bigger games at the MCG makes sense.

That said, I'm fine with going down there, so long as it's split evenly between all clubs.

Look I think idealy Geelong should have 9 home games a year and choose who they want for their Melbourne games, if they choose out of Collingwood, Hawthorn and Essendon every year then so be it, that is Geelong's choice. It would be nice to see Geelong play all their games
I think you've got that backwards.

Geelong isn't asking for 8 games at KP, they're asking for 3 games at the MCG. Your club wants to play in Melbourne, the AFL isn't forcing them to.

Given that, and that you'd pretty much fill KP whoever you play, playing bigger games at the MCG makes sense.

That said, I'm fine with going down there, so long as it's split evenly between all clubs.
I have no idea why it should be split evenly between the clubs, Geelong should be able to designate where they play their home games at and who against. If games moved from the home ground need to be evenly split then I guess we will eventually see Hawthorn v Richmond in Launceston, North v Collingwood at Hobart, Gold Coast v Brisbane in Cairns, GWS v Sydney at Canberra, Melbourne v Essendon at Darwin. If the home team chooses to play the same teams in Melbourne every year then that is their choice. Personally as an Essendon fan who can easily get seats in Geelong every week I would love to see them play down there but if Geelong have to play a certain amount of games in Melbourne they should get to choose who they play. I was at that Geelong v Richmond game earlier this year, hardly any Richmond fans turned up, and the atmosphere was the worst I have experienced in years. If Geelong are to move a game from Kardina Park they should move games that at the very least guarantee 40k or more.

So why do Geelong play home games at Etihad then?

If Geelong played Sydney at Etihad is it not a home game for Geelong?

The AFL has a mandated number of games that have to be played at Etihad. The club has no reason to play home games there. The club are told to do it by the all great AFL.

I have no doubt the club would luv to see Etihad only ever listed as an away venue for Geelong.

GO Catters

The AFL has a mandated number of games that have to be played at Etihad. The club has no reason to play home games there. The club are told to do it by the all great AFL.

I have no doubt the club would luv to see Etihad only ever listed as an away venue for Geelong.

GO Catters
Most clubs would like to see Etihad only as an away venue. You think Collingwood, Richmond and Melbourne fans like playing home games there?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back