List Mgmt. 2014 Draft Trade FA Megathread

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
We are both astute footy observers.
Two_Face_6711.jpg

You know, after all this abuse, our ahead-of-time whipping boy Jones will probably come to the club and kick 50 goals in his first season...! :p

It'd be as inconsistent as all get out, but imagine trying to line up on a forwardline including Spencer White, Nick Riewoldt, Rhys Stanley and Liam Jones rolling through it... That's some serious athleticism!

Be worth watching the VFL Grannie...

Last edited:

Sorry but I don't rate Hickey. Longer is 3 years younger and already a far better tap ruck man and a more competitive beast.

Longer has his areas he needs to work on, namely getting more ball, marking and goal kicking and that will come with experience.

Hickey is like a baby giraffe the way he prances around the field. Trade.

Morning Mrs Longer. I think Hickey has enormous upside. Late comer. We saw a taste of his abilities early.

I want to keep Stanley unless we get HUGE overs. Not even sure I would be happy to do it for pick 16 alone. Genuine forward/rucks are hard to find. Finding one with Rhys athletic ability and field kicking is near on impossible. I know he has weaknesses. He has to learn to find more of the footy. Injury and being played out of position have stalled his progress, but I still think there is time for him to become a genuine gun. I have not given up just yet. Think back to the Freo game (yes it is only 1 game), but he is an absolute nightmare match up for the opposition. Runs like the wind, booming kick, marks at full stretch and sticky fingers when his confidence is up.
Pretty much agree with all this. He is the only one of our 5 ruck options who has shown anything remotely like he has what it takes to be able to play the 80% forward/20% ruck role at AFL level (except maybe Pierce, who may have something there, but he's years off), so if we were trading him I'd want us to have something pretty big up our sleeves, such as the knowledge that GWS were about to trade us Tom Boyd for pick 1, or that he had agreed to come to us in 12 months time, or that we had another trade for pick 1 lined up with GWS and that we were planning on drafting Wright with pick 4.

If any of those 3 scenarios were the case I'd be OK with us trading Rhys, especially if it got us another pick inside the top 20.

Port was the club that kept on being linked to Rhys though and they now look a huge chance to get Ryder, so that could be a fly in our ointment.

Sorry but I don't rate Hickey. Longer is 3 years younger and already a far better tap ruck man and a more competitive beast.

Longer has his areas he needs to work on, namely getting more ball, marking and goal kicking and that will come with experience.

Hickey is like a baby giraffe the way he prances around the field. Trade.
You must have an extremely short memory.
Over their careers in which Hickey has played 30 games and Longer 25, Hickey averages more disposals, marks, goals and hit outs to advantage.
It's fine to pot a player but next time make sure you know what youre talking about.
Edit: sorry to be picky, but he's 2 years younger, not 3.

You must have an extremely short memory.
Over their careers in which Hickey has played 30 games and Longer 25, Hickey averages more disposals, marks, goals and hit outs to advantage.
It's fine to pot a player but next time make sure you know what youre talking about.
Edit: sorry to be picky, but he's 2 years younger, not 3.

My memories fine and so is my opinion and observations of players without the need to draw to stats.

Hickey's better games I recall earlier in the year where statistically his numbers looked good also involved his direct opponent looking better.

It's fine to pot my opinion but next time know what you are talking about and try not to be condescending.

Hickey certainly is behind Longer as far as hitouts go, with Billy being much better in that area, but Hickey has him well covered at this point for his around the ground work and if his game against GWS earlier in the year was an indication of how good he could be if he got over these injuries and got himself fully fit for an extended period of time, he could end up really good. Was such a shame that he hurt himself again in that GWS game, as he was just dominating it at the time.

Pretty much agree with all this. He is the only one of our 5 ruck options who has shown anything remotely like he has what it takes to be able to play the 80% forward/20% ruck role at AFL level (except maybe Pierce, who may have something there, but he's years off), so if we were trading him I'd want us to have something pretty big up our sleeves, such as the knowledge that GWS were about to trade us Tom Boyd for pick 1, or that he had agreed to come to us in 12 months time, or that we had another trade for pick 1 lined up with GWS and that we were planning on drafting Wright with pick 4.

If any of those 3 scenarios were the case I'd be OK with us trading Rhys, especially if it got us another pick inside the top 20.

Port was the club that kept on being linked to Rhys though and they now look a huge chance to get Ryder, so that could be a fly in our ointment.

Hit the nail on the head.

Stanley is too important to our structure and future to trade away unless we had a contingency as you mentioned.

As much as I'm against trading Armo I would lean towards trading him instead given we have a plethora of developing inside mids and we'd likely get decent compensation. Perhaps he's the captain next year which ensures he's not traded?

Putting my list management hat on I would make minimal trades and be content with picks 1, 21 and 38 and possibly try and swing another second rounder with a player + pick upgrade.

My memories fine and so is my opinion and observations of players without the need to draw to stats.

Hickey's better games I recall earlier in the year where statistically his numbers looked good also involved his direct opponent looking better.

It's fine to pot my opinion but next time know what you are talking about and try not to be condescending.
So even tho hickeys playing better games his opponent is playing better? Are you saying Longers opponents are having no influence.
I'm not being condescending, you said longer was ahead of hickey in areas where it's a fact he isn't.

So even tho hickeys playing better games his opponent is playing better? Are you saying Longers opponents are having no influence.
I'm not being condescending, you said longer was ahead of hickey in areas where it's a fact he isn't.

I acknowledge Hickey had a decent start to the season and you are correct in saying I believe his opponent had the better of him. He had a nice game verse GWS and snagged a few goals but Mummy monstered him around the contest and was the better player of the two. In round 1 Jake Spencer had the better of him. Still a nice start to the season by Hickey with opposition being poor and having the better of him.

Longer has deficiencies which I also acknowledged but his strength is around the contest. As I mentioned, he's better in the ruck than Hickey and he contests better around the stoppages being a more competitive beast. You could say he somewhat nullifies his opponents more so than Hickey who is an easier player to be pushed off the contest and bullied than Longer.

There are many occasions Longer has been beaten by his opponents throughout the year but that's besides my point. My point is I prefer to invest in Longer as it's more about what he will be in a few years than what he is now and the fact I like his attributes more than any other ruckman on our list including Hickey who is surplus.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

How fun another Hickey and Longer debate... There is a thread for that.

We are discussing trading players so of course when a name gets thrown up for trade his worth will be evaluated against similar players on the list. We should be able to discuss these matters without getting personal or getting the shits. In this 571 page topic we've discussed a lot worse topics!

I acknowledge Hickey had a decent start to the season and you are correct in saying I believe his opponent had the better of him. He had a nice game verse GWS and snagged a few goals but Mummy monstered him around the contest and was the better player of the two. In round 1 Jake Spencer had the better of him. Still a nice start to the season by Hickey with opposition being poor and having the better of him.

Longer has deficiencies which I also acknowledged but his strength is around the contest. As I mentioned, he's better in the ruck than Hickey and he contests better around the stoppages being a more competitive beast. You could say he somewhat nullifies his opponents more so than Hickey who is an easier player to be pushed off the contest and bullied than Longer.

There are many occasions Longer has been beaten by his opponents throughout the year but that's besides my point. My point is I prefer to invest in Longer as it's more about what he will be in a few years than what he is now and the fact I like his attributes more than any other ruckman on our list including Hickey who is surplus.
How is Hickey surplus? Longer isn't exactly number one ruckman material just yet.

How is Hickey surplus? Longer isn't exactly number one ruckman material just yet.

Neither is Hickey. But like the majority of our lines they are development players. Pierce a notch down and Holmes a project. Stanley capable in the ruck as well.

This discussion started with which players will give us a top 20 pick and that was based around trading Stanley. Subsequently I said I would rather trade Hickey than Stanley based mainly on needs.

Ironically I was slammed for calling for Big Boy to be traded early last year now many are calling him a spud.

Spinner (from SS?), the joke was over your head mate.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back