List Mgmt. 2014 Draft Trade FA Megathread

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
This would be the best option. Hopefully the AFL comes to the table with the PP. The only better outcome would be if we forced Cameron to the PSD and then burnt GWS to the ground.
That would be amazing to pick up Jezza Cameron with PSD Pick 1.

Hmm give me 1 win and a lower than 60% and a PP next year pls. im not sure alot of you would be willing to only take 1 win but its what its gonna take

Take 1 win for 1% chance at a PP? No thanks.

The AFL has shown that it is essentially impossible to receive PP's unless there are extraordinary circumstances. These circumstances are for new franchise teams, relocations etc, I'm lead to believe.

CRIKEY'S mate :eek::eek: how much spare time do you have :D
That was a lot of good info. Well done , that was a good read :thumbsu::thumbsu:

he must have a lot, I now only have time at lunch time, and and sometimes at late in the arvo.

Why let Steven (born in 1990) walk only to target free agents in 2016 (born in 1991)? I'm sorry but that is an extremely incompetent list management strategy and unless Steven forces our hand I very much doubt we do what you are saying.
Except that wasn't the argument.

The purpose of losing J.Steven would not be to bring in FAs at the end of S16. That's counter-productive. We could bring in FAs whether we kept J.Steven or not (with salary allotments the only roadblock).

Two things.

1) That wasn't my argument. BUT IF IT WAS it would still be sound list management. Losing J.Steven would net us a return of pick 2 (looking at it as a transaction of course, which is essentially list management). Gaining a FA of similar/equal/better value would cost us nothing (of course, we pay his salary). The transaction would see Jack Steven out (value X), FA in 2016 (value X) plus pick 2 in 2015 (value Y). Jack Steven = X or your above scenario = X + Y.

2) My argument was the potential use of J. Steven as the wildcard in a GWS raid. Keeping him uncontracted as a restricted FA means that he could go to another club. Based on Band 1 compo, we could get pick 2 for his leaving (a deal we would ONLY orchestrate if we would use this draft pick or use it to trade for GWS young out of contract players). If this won't transpire, and we rate J. Steven as more use than the second pick, we can re-contract him OR match an offer from a bidding club, forcing a trade (in our favour).

So, end of 2015: Potentially increasing and maximising currency via draft picks or quality player. Not bringing in FA replacement as would dilute pick 2.
Loss of Steven damaging in the short-term (one season) but bringing in multiple out of contract quantifiable GWS talents fast-tracks rebuild (brings in known talent, brings in 20-22 YOs, 24-26 in 2018 26-28 in 2020, absolutely perfect for sustained success).

Likely still struggle a little 2016, loss of Steven may hurt. Inclusion of above players plus natural progression in draftees will still see significant improvement/hope within supporter base and playing group. Last big development year.

End of 2016, BANG. FA year. Replace Steven with a similar valued player, bring in whatever else we can afford to have a tilt at genuine success.

We don't lose Steven so that we can pick someone up the following year. We will do that anyway. But even if that was my argument, it would make sense (list management wise).

It's just interesting to hypothesise given the timing. They will make fools of us all and sign him shortly anyway probably.

Take 1 win for 1% chance at a PP? No thanks.

The AFL has shown that it is essentially impossible to receive PP's unless there are extraordinary circumstances. These circumstances are for new franchise teams, relocations etc, I'm lead to believe.
they did outline how to get it though........ or why Melbourne didnt get it.........

and based off that were a good shot if we have 0-1 wins and have a percentage less than 60%

On further reflection, as much as Barrels will be disappointed, I think we will skip Reece.

We've got White, lee, Membrey - all vying for the 2nd /3rd forward role. Why add another?
As others have said, I don't see Reece as that 2nd or 3rd option, but the really big unit that the rest of the forward line is built around and who plays closest to goal. Basically like a much stronger and quicker version of Kosi. I don't see someone who is 197cm and 107kg as the 2nd or especially the 3rd option.

I don't expect he will get to a Hawkins/Taylor Walker/Cloke sort of level, but I don't see why he couldn't get get to the Drew Petrie type level, or the sort of level Kosi was at in say 2009, when he kicked 48 goals and that is OK if you have enough quality around them. Geelong's 2008 forward line didn't have any big units any better than them and nor did West Coast's 2006 premiership team. Sydney's 2012 premiership team had the likes of Sam Reid (1 goal), 32yo and injured Adam Goodes (1 goal) and LRT (1 goal 1) as their tall options up forward.

Tell me which quality ff came out of top 15?

Clokk f/s
Hawk f/s
Tippett border line
Darling is not ff
Waite is if injury wise
jones is a joke
Brown was f/s

Just very hard to get a quality FF outside top 15. No point drafting another 2nd forward.
I'm well aware that the real creme of the crop as far as FF and CHF goes tend to only come from the very pointy end of the drafts (or would have been had it not been for the F/S rule and so-on), but you can occasionally get those on the next level down with picks in the 20's and 30's, such as Petrie (pick 23), Jake Carlisle (24) and Tippett (32) and I could definitely see Reece being another very strong possibility to get to their sort of level, especially since he may very well have been taken higher than 21/22 had he played footy all the way through and not stopped playing for a year or two to play basketball. His 2nd half of the year looked to be much better than his 1st and had he not been playing basketball and no footy last year he might have played for the whole season like did in the 2nd half of it and be a real chance to go top 10 or 15.

Last edited:
As others have said, I don't see Reece as that 2nd or 3rd option, but the really big unit that the rest of the forward line is built around and who plays closest to goal. Basically like a much stronger and quicker version of Kosi. I don't see someone who is 197cm and 107kg as the 2nd or especially the 3rd option.

I don't expect he will get to a Hawkins/Taylor Walker/Cloke sort of level, but I don't see why he couldn't get get to the Drew Petrie type level, or the sort of level Kosi was at in say 2009, when he kicked 48 goals and that is OK if you have enough quality around them. Geelong's 2008 forward line didn't have any big units any better than them and nor did West Coast's 2006 premiership team. Sydney's 2012 premiership team had the likes of Sam Reid (1 goal), 32yo and injured Adam Goodes (1 goal) and LRT (1 goal 1) as their tall options up forward.

I'm well aware that the real creme of the crop as far as FF and CHF goes tend to only come from the very pointy end of the drafts (or would have been had it not been for the F/S rule and so-on), but you can occasionally get those on the next level down with picks in the 20's and 30's, such as Petrie (pick 23), Jake Carlisle (24) and Tippett (32) and I could definitely see Reece being another very strong possibility to get to their sort of level, especially since he may very well have been taken higher than 21/22 had he played footy all the way through and not stopped playing for a year or two to play basketball. His 2nd half of the year looked to be much better than his 1st and had he not been playing basketball and no footy last year he might have played for the whole season like did in the 2nd half of it and be a real chance to go top 10 or 15.
Agree 100% ARR...

Iiiiiiiit's heeeeeeeerrrrreeee.....

Charlton-Heston-as-Moses-thumb-490x278.jpg

http://musingsfromtheouter.wordpres...e-minie-moe-a-2014-afl-phantom-draft-round-1/

I could definitely see Reece being another very strong possibility to get to their sort of level, especially since he may very well have been taken higher than 21/22 had he played footy all the way through and not stopped playing for a year or two to play basketball. His 2nd half of the year looked to be much better than his 1st and had he not been playing basketball and no footy last year he might have played for the whole season like did in the 2nd half of it and be a real chance to go top 10 or 15.

This is a very good point and is something that I'm sure our recruiters are weighing up. I really hope that we rate him as a serious prospect that is just a year behind everyone else because he could be a steal at 21 if that is the case. Who knows how well he would have performed if he'd played last year.

On a similar note: wasn't White considered a first round pick but he slid to our 2nd due to his wrist injuries? It'd be kinda nice to get two first round key forwards in the second round.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

In a similar note: wasn't White considered a first round pick but he slid to our 2nd due to his wrist injuries? It'd be kinda nice to get two first round key forwards in the second round.

My understanding was that White was regarded as a bit of a "reach" at the Saints pick. Raw talent and physical attributes were undeniable but injuries and queries on work ethic had him going later in the draft.

My understanding was that White was regarded as a bit of a "reach" at the Saints pick. Raw talent and physical attributes were undeniable but injuries and queries on work ethic had him going later in the draft.

Knightmare had him going at 50. Had Membrey going at 23 though.

Some good choices there. I'd probably swap Durdin and Lever around for the Suns' #8 and Cats' #10, but hey. Also, how "desperate" is your getting Carlton to pick Garlett over Reece at #19? Surely, they'll take him.
Maybe not, depends on whether they're happy with Casboult, Jones, Henderson and Jaksch.
Your man is available at pick 22 Barrels, how do you feel?
I'm good. He's pretty raw young Reece, so he's no guarantee to go top 25...

Rather try and develop a winning culture and not one like Melbournes.
why cant we devolp a good culture if we suck this year?

i dont think their interrelated if you have the right pieces

im not saying tank but instead of playing players who are competitive such as a ray/fisher/gilbert and wont be here in 3 years dont play them as much and play the likes of Saunders 15+ games which will probs means we dont win much.

richo wont want to do it unless he gets a contract extension which is fair enough because its his heads that everyone will be calling for but im fine with it

im not saying tank but instead of playing players who are competitive such as a ray/fisher/gilbert and wont be here in 3 years dont play them as much and play the likes of Saunders 15+ games which will probs means we dont win much.
Doesn't sound like a terrific culture if guys like Ray, Fisher and Gilbert deserve to be picked on merit and put their hands up to play, but are left out for kids and the team gets flogged each week.

Doesn't sound like a terrific culture if guys like Ray, Fisher and Gilbert deserve to be picked on merit and put their hands up to play, but are left out for kids and the team gets flogged each week.
Furthermore, the assumption that FAs will be lining up to come to us if we throw them the cash defies the trend we've already seen. The best FAs have been foregoing bigger cheques for the chance to play in finals, and preferably top-4 teams. Based on the current data, it would be astonishing if any FA was interested in coming to a team that finished bottom twice in the last three years, and bottom-four in the last four years (when we look to get a FA, during the 2016 draft period).

Shaun McKernan as a rookie anyone? i've probably been on record saying i wouldn't want him a few times before but now Rhys Stanley is gone he could be an OK pick up in the rookie draft if he is still around as a ruck/fwd. Has the talent and being delisted sometimes does good things for players.

I still remember in 2011 when he was played as a Key defender he didn't look out of place either. Surprised the Crows/Sanderson didn't continue on with it.

Likely to have 3 or 4 rookie selections. Basically there for a gamble so if he was around at our 3rd or 4th pick (assuming Weller is elevated) could be worth a try.

"I know I've got my best footy in front of me," he said.

"I'll go anywhere, I just want to get my foot in the door because from there anything can happen.

"Even though I wasn't able to play to the level I know I'm capable of, I feel I learned so much and added a lot to my game over the past six years.

"I'm a much smarter footballer today."

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2014-10-23/my-best-is-in-front-of-me?utm_medium=RSS

Shaun McKernan as a rookie anyone? i've probably been on record saying i wouldn't want him a few times before but now Rhys Stanley is gone he could be an OK pick up in the rookie draft if he is still around as a ruck/fwd. Has the talent and being delisted sometimes does good things for players.

I still remember in 2011 when he was played as a Key defender he didn't look out of place either. Surprised the Crows/Sanderson didn't continue on with it.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2014-10-23/my-best-is-in-front-of-me?utm_medium=RSS
You lost me at "Has the talent"

Yes. We need the young kids earning their spots in the team, not just being gifted games.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back