List Mgmt. 2014 Draft Trade FA Megathread

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
If we pick anyone but Petracca with #1 after refusing to deal 1 & 21 for 4 & 7 then we are bloody idiots.

Wholeheartedly agree, but I would not be suprised.

Except for Roo and bj who have we ever picked up in the top ten who was an out and out star.

Ball
Kosi
X Clarke
Traded pick 8 and 14 for Barry Brooks FFS
Raph
Armo
Mac

X (thru injury) Raph and Brooks (FFS) were busts

Ball went well until OP wrecked him

Kosi - loved Kosi but not anout and out star

Armo - very good player
Mac - very good player.

We dont need an Armo or Mac, we need a Roo or bj.

Wholeheartedly agree, but I would not be suprised.

Except for Roo and bj who have we ever picked up in the top ten who was an out and out star.

Ball
Kosi
X Clarke
Traded pick 8 and 14 for Barry Brooks FFS
Raph
Armo
Mac

X (thru injury) Raph and Brooks (FFS) were busts

Ball went well until OP wrecked him

Kosi - loved Kosi but not anout and out star

Armo - very good player
Mac - very good player.

We dont need an Armo or Mac, we need a Roo or bj.

I used to think that about Raph , but unless you were psychic in that draft Raph was better than most. It was a really crappy draft. Troy Chaplin and David Mundy probably the standout picks we could have taken instead of Raph.

Brayden Maynard; if he falls to pick 21, any takers?

BknL9VwCUAEggXg.jpg

Had a fantastic finals series for Sandingham Dragons, is another truck-like mid at 186/88 with grossly underrated speed and is a tackling machine.

Kicking is decent without being great and has a relatively small tank at this stage.

Last edited:
For anyone who underestimates just how important getting it right on draft day is, have a gander at Melbourne's 'What If' Best 22*

FB: Jetta - McDonald - Lumumba
HB: Howe - Frost - Grimes
CR: Fyfe - Viney - Vince
HF: Gray - Hogan - Salem
FF: Tippett - Dawes - Garlett
RK: Natinui - NJones - Tyson
Int;
Kennedy-Harris
McKenzie
Riley
Dunn

*excluding a few like Frawley for Jack Riewoldt which I didn't think was fair...

Brayden Maynard if he falls to pick 21; any takers?

BknL9VwCUAEggXg.jpg

Had a fantastic finals series for Sandingham Dragons, is another truck-like mid at 186/88 with grossly underrated speed and is a tackling machine.

Kicking is decent without being great and has a relatively small tank at this stage.
huge fan of his!

huge fan of his!
Been a quiet fan all year; reckon he's third in line behind Petracca and De Goey as that burly mid/fwd with goal threat.

Check out the attacking options in the u23s if we get my realistic 'dream' draft (Petracca, Maynard, McKenzie, Webb) with Membrey as a DFA or in the PSD and Le Grice as a Rookie...

FB: Webster - Le Grice - Wright
HB: Newnes - Bruce - Murdoch
CR: Billings - Petracca - Acres
HF: Markworth - White - Templeton
FF: Membrey - McKenzie - Curren
RK: Longer - Weller - Dunstan

Int (from);
Saunders
Ross
Siposs
Minchington
Pierce
Maynard
Webb

http://www.saints.com.au/video/2014-10-24/draft-insider-tony-elshaug-drafthub

Anyone pick up that at 0:21 Tony Elshaug says we will have four rookie picks? Plus he confirmed 41 would be used... Sounds like Weller is on the Senior List...

IN:
1. Weller
2. Templeton
3. Shenton
4. Minchington
5. Membrey
6. Pick 1
7. Pick 21
8. Pick 22
9. Pick 41

We've only vacated 8 senior list spots haven't we? Jones, Hayes, TDL, Stanley, Milera, Gwilt, Maister, Dunell. Is Schneider gone then?

Brayden Maynard if he falls to pick 21; any takers?

BknL9VwCUAEggXg.jpg

I always just assume he'll be gone so I have never considered him. Solid mid

http://www.saints.com.au/video/2014-10-24/draft-insider-tony-elshaug-drafthub

Anyone pick up that at 0:21 Tony Elshaug says we will have four rookie picks? Plus he confirmed 41 would be used... Sounds like Weller is on the Senior List...

IN:
1. Weller
2. Templeton
3. Shenton
4. Minchington
5. Membrey
6. Pick 1
7. Pick 21
8. Pick 22
9. Pick 41

We've only vacated 8 senior list spots haven't we? Jones, Hayes, TDL, Stanley, Milera, Gwilt, Maister, Dunell. Is Schneider gone then?
Yep good pick up Mitch, I noticed that yesterday too. Great news for Mav, really deserved his call up.

Sad for Schneider Pig, he's been a great servant. Personally I would have kept him for another year & not upgraded Shenton.

The small amount that I've seen of Maynard reminds me of Nate Wright.... any regular watches who can provide more of an insight into their similarities & differences?
Maynard is beefier and better by foot, quick but not as quick as Wrighty, and a forward where Wrighty is a defender.

Wrighty has a much bigger tank, but hands aren't as good. Both as hard as cat's heads.

Like De Goey, Maynard reminds me of Paul Chapman.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

they over valued the big blokes, that is for sure
It should show why not to pick up a ruckman with a high pick. Very rarely do they come off. Hawks just got 3 of the best from that draft. It makes a huge difference. If Billings, Dunstan and Acres meet potential we could have a situation that slingshots us forward in a few years. Sydney and Collingwood really rebuilt around a few very solid years grabbing players of immense quality. At the end of the day luck with drafting makes a massive difference. If Richmond grabbed Franklin and Delidio went to them they would have been well ahead of where they are now.

The small amount that I've seen of Maynard reminds me of Nate Wright.... any regular watches who can provide more of an insight into their similarities & differences?

Young Luke Hodge

:cool: Would have been father son Adelaide if his father had played 4 games

B & F Sandringham dragons would be a steal like Dunstan & Acres

Laughable imo. No way is he up there with Petracca, Brayshaw, McCartin and then Wright... surely those are the only ones we are actually considering. And get rid of Brayshaw from that bunch too, if we want a mid then get Petracca. It should come down to 3 if we're not deadset on Petracca (like we should be).
Pickett has superstar ability, I would be comfortable picking him at one.
Interestingly, quite a few clubs don't rate either Brayshaw or Wright as top 10 talents, so you have to consider who replaces them in their top 4.
I would suggest Pickett is one and Laverde or Durdin the other.

Interestingly, quite a few clubs don't rate either Brayshaw or Wright as top 10 talents, so you have to consider who replaces them in their top 4.

I watched a couple of Dragons games and I actually thought Maynard looked better than Brayshaw (not that Brayshaw wasn't pretty good himself). But I was interested to read that Knightmare thinks Maynard will go either very late in the draft or else go early in the Rookie draft. The only reason I can think of for KM's lower ranking of Maynard is that whilst he is good in virtually all areas of his game, he doesn't seem to have any one area that is outstanding (the x factor) so maybe clubs will overlook him in the first couple of rounds. If this is the case, he could be a real chance for us at pick 41. Here's hoping!

Petracca has super star ability and has more so proven to a higher production midfield/forward. I like Petracca more because he's a type you can build a midfield around, Pickett is that outside type that could be a superstar too, but you can find those at pick 21/22 IMO (Garlett/Cockatoo types, might not be as good as Pickett but you see what I mean.)

Luke Hodge or Brad Hill?
Nathan Fyfe or Stephen Hill?

I just value Petracca higher based on what I've seen on both so far. No doubt Pickett could be a top 5 talent in this draft. Interesting though to see Brayshaw and Wright not rated top 10 by some clubs... Are you allowed to say which clubs? My top 5 would be Petracca, Brayshaw, McCartin, Lever and probably Laverde/Pickett of those available (have Heeney and Moore both top 5).

I watched a couple of Dragons games and I actually thought Maynard looked better than Brayshaw (not that Brayshaw wasn't pretty good himself). But I was interested to read that Knightmare thinks Maynard will go either very late in the draft or else go early in the Rookie draft. The only reason I can think of for KM's lower ranking of Maynard is that whilst he is good in virtually all areas of his game, he doesn't seem to have any one area
that is outstanding (the x factor) so maybe clubs will overlook him in the
first couple of rounds. If this is the case, he could be a real chance for us at pick 41. Here's hoping!

With all respect to Knighmare and all the work he does, I can't see Maynard falling out of the 2nd round.

Petracca has super star ability and has more so proven to a higher production midfield/forward. I like Petracca more because he's a type you can build a midfield around, Pickett is that outside type that could be a superstar too, but you can find those at pick 21/22 IMO (Garlett/Cockatoo types, might not be as good as Pickett but you see what I mean.)

Luke Hodge or Brad Hill?
Nathan Fyfe or Stephen Hill?

I just value Petracca higher based on what I've seen on both so far. No doubt Pickett could be a top 5 talent in this draft. Interesting though to see Brayshaw and Wright not rated top 10 by some clubs... Are you allowed to say which clubs? My top 5 would be Petracca, Brayshaw, McCartin, Lever and probably Laverde/Pickett of those available (have Heeney and Moore both top 5).

Couldn't you apply that same argument on Pickett to anyone including petracca, I.e. McCartin v Mckenzie

Also you can't compare garlett to picket, they are completely different players. Garlett has no where near the skill of Pickett, nor can he win his own ball or contest like Pickett can.

If you want current terms it'd be like comparing a fit and firing Cyril to Brad Hill. Hill is a handy player but he's no Cyril.

For us it'd be like comparing Stephen Milne to Brett Peake. Give me milney any day.

From what I saw of Pickett when he did get the very limited chance to do it, he can play in the midfield. Where as garlett struggles to find the inside ball and is more of a receiver and runner. There's the very real possibility that garlett could be a Milera type (minus the silky skills), someone who cannot adapt to AFL football because he doesn't have the physicality to apply pressure or win a contest

IMO you simply do not blow pick 1 on a sub-180cm player in the modern game... Not unless they are the absolute standout.

As good as Pickett is, and will be, he is not a number 1 pick.

Couldn't you apply that same argument on Pickett to anyone including petracca, I.e. McCartin v Mckenzie

Also you can't compare garlett to picket, they are completely different players. Garlett has no where near the skill of Pickett, nor can he win his own ball or contest like Pickett can.

If you want current terms it'd be like comparing a fit and firing Cyril to Brad Hill. Hill is a handy player but he's no Cyril.

For us it'd be like comparing Stephen Milne to Brett Peake. Give me milney any day.

From what I saw of Pickett when he did get the very limited chance to do it, he can play in the midfield. Where as garlett struggles to find the inside ball and is more of a receiver and runner. There's the very real possibility that garlett could be a Milera type (minus the silky skills), someone who cannot adapt to AFL football because he doesn't have the physicality to apply pressure or win a contest

Nowhere did I say Pickett and Garlett are the same players. Nowhere.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back