List Mgmt. 2014 Draft Trade FA Megathread

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
AFL.com draft podcast featuring the Pelican! Goes for about 45mins. I suggest you guys start at about 25:45min mark. Just spoke about Port and Hawks before that. Some pretty good info in there in regard to Our Salary Cap, draftees, etc, etc. Would suggest it would be of interest to anyone reading this thread.
http://shar.es/1X5eWM

AFL.com draft podcast featuring the Pelican! Goes for about 45mins. I suggest you guys start at about 25:45min mark. Just spoke about Port and Hawks before that. Some pretty good info in there in regard to Our Salary Cap, draftees, etc, etc. Would suggest it would be of interest to anyone reading this thread.
http://shar.es/1X5eWM

Cool thanks - didn't fancy listening to the whole podcast, (especially when I can only listen at lunchtime)....

just based on what I can remember
  • Saints were in a really bad state in 2011 in terms of salary cap, much worse than what it seemed externally
  • Baines and Pelican sorted out the cap but had to make cuts on people like goddard and dal
  • lost 1 million dollars of the cap since 2011
  • theyve done a "truck load" (I might be reading into that too much) of work on number 1 pick and he fully expects it to be out of petracca and Paddy
  • if billings was in this years draft he'd go number 1
  • Rebuilding a list takes around 8 years but he firmly believes we're on the right track and will be a good side before the end of the decade

Sounds like Pelican will be applying his trade at another club/AFL role before too long.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Can anyone elaborate as to what the pelican said about us??

Can't listen as I am at work
I will try to quickly.
Pelch started by talking about when he joined on August 1 2008. On Aug 2, CEO Nettlefold walked in to his office with a manilla folder with papers hanging out of it everywhere and said "Here is our Salary Cap paperwork". Pelch said he then knew that it wasn't going to be good. Explained that in 2011 our cap was in SERIOUS trouble. He and Ameet Bains(also had just started that year) took it to the AFL the following week to sort it out. It was then smoothed out over 2012, 2013. & this year. (Compared it to the Lions cap post the 3 premierships.)It had put BJ and Dal in to hard positions and contributed to them going.
However the positive is that it has freed up $1M in cap space for recruiting a FA or uncontracted player in coming years.:D:D:D
Sorry, but I was multitasking with this in background from here on. Main points were:
- Was asked by Cal Twomey who was best of Saints young players? Pelch declined to single one out through respect for the Club and those players.
-Believes Saints have 8-9 young players that will be 100+ game players. Plan is to increase that to at least 13 in next 2 drafts.
- Was asked about quality of this draft at top. Pelch said there was around a top 18 or so.
- (Most interesting to me was this) Pelch said there is a clear difference for picks between 1 & 2 then 2 & 3.
- Saints recruiters have done a "Truckload" of work on this years potential draftees. Spoke of how clubs would have the drafting plans sorted by mid October. But some clubs between then and the draft overthink the choices they had already planned for, and clubs starting looking for stuff that wasn't there. Commented that when he was at Hawks and Saints that both were to be commended for stepping back and not overthinking their choices.

Thats all I can remember off the top of my head. Was definitely other stuff mentioned though, so if others know it, they can post it.

just based on what I can remember
  • theyve done a "truck load" (I might be reading into that too much) of work on number 1 pick and he fully expects it to be out of petracca and Paddy
You are. He's talking about the Mc (sic.) Truck...

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2014-11-21/matureage-draft-bolter?utm_medium=RSS

Mature-age Blaine Boekhorst a potential draft bolter

WEST Australian Blaine Boekhorst shapes as the first mature-age player picked at next week's NAB AFL Draft, with the midfielder in top-30 contention.

Defacto Plugger35 - info/thoughts on him?

plus, at the very bottom;

This year's national draft is unlikely to see many state league players find AFL homes, with Frankston's Nick Newman considered one of the better chances out of the VFL.

WEST Australian Blaine Boekhorst shapes as the first mature-age player picked at next week's NAB AFL Draft, with the midfielder in top-30 contention.

This year's national draft is unlikely to see many state league players find AFL homes, with Frankston's Nick Newman considered one of the better chances out of the VFL.

I don't get the hype

Danial Coghlan from Essendons VFL has to be a massive chance would love the Saints to grab him.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Cal Twomey draft whispers yesterday- reckons it's really hard to tell this year:

Collingwood: Laverde, De Goey, Langford
Pickett continues to firm to GWS at 4, especially as there is talk that Pies are interested
Ahern to GWS at 6
Ellis to Tigers talk persists.
Laverde might get to pick 11 if he doesn't go to Collingwood, where he hasn't been linked to much in past 6 weeks
Duggan to Gold Coast at 8
Langford to Adelaide being talked about a bit.
Weller in mix to West Coast
Bulldogs continue to be linked to Webb, as well as Menadue and Vickers Willis
McDonald linked to North at 25, Dogs as well, plus us
Cockatoo a mystery may get through to Essendon's picks
Wigg potentially Gold Coast or Carlton late 20's, V-Rainbow also a chance to Carlton at 28

Wright interviewed by GWS (and a number of other clubs) this week, which is unusual for GWS to do interviews this late.

Last edited:
  • if billings was in this years draft he'd go number 1
Cal Twomey said that, not Pelchen. It was just Cal's opinion and given that Jack had a very injury interrupted year in 2013, I highly doubt he would have gone ahead of Petracca this year had he been that year younger and put together the year he had in 2013 this year.

Cal Twomey draft whispers yesterday- reckons it's really hard to tell this year:

Collingwood: Laverde, De Goey, Langford
Pickett continues to firm to GWS at 4, especially as there is talk that Pies are interested
Ahern to GWS at 6
Ellis to Tigers talk persists.
Laverde might get to pick 11 if he doesn't go to Collingwood, where he hasn't been linked to much in past 6 weeks
Duggan to Gold Coast at 8
Langford to Adelaide being talked about a bit.
Weller in mix to West Coast
Bulldogs continue to be linked to Webb, as well as Menadue and Vickers Willis
McDonald linked to North at 25, Dogs as well, plus us
Cockatoo a mystery may get through to Essendon's picks
Wigg potentially Gold Coast or Carlton late 20's, V-Rainbow also a chance to Carlton at 28

Wright interviewed by GWS (and a number of other clubs) this week, which is unusual for GWS to do interviews this late.

All with no mention of Lever, leaving him to slide to pk 21, :eek:..............:D..............:oops:...............:drunk:

Cal Twomey said that, not Pelchen. It was just Cal's opinion and given that Jack had a very injury interrupted year in 2013, I highly doubt he would have gone ahead of Petracca this year had he been that year younger and put together the year he had in 2013 this year.
I don't think Billings would be take over Petracca either

Why would GWS touch Pickett? GWS are having enough problems as it is keeping their current players and Pickett has said he wants to ultimately play at home in WA.

Baffling from GWS.

Lucky for the rest of the competition because if they were half decent at picking the right player or developing them correctly, they might actually be a good AFL team considering the concessions given to them.

Why would GWS touch Pickett? GWS are having enough problems as it is keeping their current players and Pickett has said he wants to ultimately play at home in WA.

Baffling from GWS.

Lucky for the rest of the competition because if they were half decent at picking the right player or developing them correctly, they might actually be a good AFL team considering the concessions given to them.
I think they feel they could do with a linebreaker

If they want line breakers, why the **** dont they just play WHE & Whitfield from a wing instead of half forward/forward pocket????? Those 2 are MADE for the wing!

They baffle me those peeps at GWS
They obviously feel that Pickett will play the wing better than Hoskin-Elliot and Whitfield. I'm not saying I think they should take Pickett but they think they should.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back