Draft rumours

Remove this Banner Ad

Pick 3 goes alright...

True. Martin, Talia and Cunnington are clearly the best of the first rounders. Other than them though, that first round is littered with underachievers and failures. Fyfe slipping to round 2 is bordering on comical, as is Carlton's selection of Kane Lucas ahead of Talia when a key defender was a major need for them.

True. Martin, Talia and Cunnington are clearly the best of the first rounders. Other than them though, that first round is littered with underachievers and failures. Fyfe slipping to round 2 is bordering on comical, as is Carlton's selection of Kane Lucas ahead of Talia when a key defender was a major need for them.

I think Carlton have sacked that recruiter. Rightfully so because I am fairly certain he also took Watson and Bootsma in the first round.

Dosent a carlton recruiter now work for us haha?

Luke Williams as with Geelong for 14 years with Geelong under Wells. He moved to Carlton but resigned after less than a year for "personal reasons". A few months later he came to us.

Rumours that when he was with Carlton as "Recruiting Manager" he felt Malthouse had way too much input. Malthouse wanting to be heavily involved was probably justified given the recruiting department's record before Williams arrived.

Luke Williams as with Geelong for 14 years with Geelong under Wells. He moved to Carlton but resigned after less than a year for "personal reasons". A few months later he came to us.

Rumours that when he was with Carlton as "Recruiting Manager" he felt Malthouse had way too much input. Malthouse wanting to be heavily involved was probably justified given the recruiting department's record before Williams arrived.

He was never recruiting manager at Carlton. He was part of the recruiting staff, but not the manager.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Fyfe didn't "slip" to round 2, he was never expected to go any higher than he did. He's just come on in leaps and bounds since being drafted.

Interesting. My mistake then. Always thought recruiting manager was a single position. Was just trying to establish that Shane Rogers is the recruiting manager so I was unsure how Williams held the same title.

My understanding from the rumours is that this was also part of the problem. Too many Chiefs.

theres a couple of things i am struggling with:
- surely GWS dont overlook wright, they have no resting ruck. I highly doubt they will pass on him
- surely GC/Geelong dont overlook durdin, both need a genuine tall KPD - GC will go a mid (love Duggan) and Durdin will slide to Freo IMO. Suns have May/Thompson as KPDs - alot better than most.
- what does freo/adelaide do if goddard and durdin are gone - Crows linked to Maynard and Freo get one out of Lever/Goddard/Durdin
- how does essendon take with their first pick if its between weller/garlett and lamb - Gotta be Weller surely? Classy mid.
- if gws doesnt take ahern with one of 6&7, who is the next suitor - Youd think maybe tigers if Duggan is gone or Roos?

The crows history in the first round (Dangerfield excluded) is pretty ordinary
I think geelong initiated this trade and then bullied you guys into accepting it
To save face you came up with the story that you can get the player you wanted at 10 at 14
Whoever you pick up will be lauded as the one you wanted.......
But we'll never know

You don't rate Brodie Smith or Talia?

Fyfe didn't "slip" to round 2, he was never expected to go any higher than he did. He's just come on in leaps and bounds since being drafted.
Recruiters didnt appear to do their homework :
Fyfe grew up at Lake Grace, and went to school at Aquinas College. He played WAFL Colts for Claremont, his highlight of the season being his eight goal, 34 possession effort in the Colts Grand Final.[2]

Recruiters didnt appear to do their homework :
Fyfe grew up at Lake Grace, and went to school at Aquinas College. He played WAFL Colts for Claremont, his highlight of the season being his eight goal, 34 possession effort in the Colts Grand Final.[2]

I suspect they actually did do their homework and looked at his whole body of performances rather than a Wikipedia line about his Colts GF game.

Every mock on here had him going in the 20s or 30s, from memory. Just shows how recruiting will never be an exact science.

theres a couple of things i am struggling with:
- surely GWS dont overlook wright, they have no resting ruck
- surely GC/Geelong dont overlook durdin, both need a genuine tall KPD
- what does freo/adelaide do if goddard and durdin are gone
- how does essendon take with their first pick if its between weller/garlett and lamb
- if gws doesnt take ahern with one of 6&7, who is the next suitor
Think GWS will develop that Andrew Phillips kid over selecting Wright, also have Lobb on their list. Geelong will go best available out of Lever De Goey and Wright and I would think one of Durdin and Goddard will be there at 13/14 but not both, one will probably have to take a mid or Wright if he gets past Geelong
Garlett
GWS will take Pickett,Ahern and Goddard IMO

My guess: Collingwood to take Langford as GWS are going to jump early on Laverde. I think GWS will round that out with Pickett and Goddard. Lever will slide to Freo. Wright to Adelaide. With Durdin at Geelong.

Sort of. It was a little more Taylor brought himself to the Crows through persistence.
Fantasia was the conduit.

Mark Ross gets the credit, spotted him at 15 y.o. and stuck at him.

Given the cost associated with being a NSW scholarship player (next to nothing), Fantasia signing off on it does nothing at all to make up for the disastrous drafting of the early 2000s. Look at Fantasia's drafting history in that period, its like we had 5 years of draft sanctions and explains why we have been pretty s**t the last few years i.e. no quality senior players drafted in the early rounds. Rutten was a rookie and Thompson was a trade but the best our drafting yielded was van Berlo, so pretty ordinary and a damaging period for the club that we have paid for recently.

Never hurts to stockpile talls really. Young ones are often injured and are usually valuable at the trade table.

It does when you don't pay attention to other needs.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back