List Mgmt. 2014 Draft Trade FA Megathread

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
When are you two just gonna get it over with...?

Arn't we all experts
5fc9968ce3189f0e638d07fb3d09fa3e632800848169c1315ede1d011a773d8b.jpg

You are not comparing apples with apples here I think. Marked difference from 2011-13 (when Elshaugh came on board) compared to 2006-10 (when the knob John Peake was running the show).
That's because I was specifically responding to this:
Couldn't believe it when I heard baines say we made the right draft decisions between 08-11. I love baines but come on that's just silly

Wayne Carey
Shittest family of all time
Arrogant as hell
Would have interviewed very poorly
Absolutely s**t bloke
Also happened to be one of the greatest players to ever pull on a boot.
If we pass on a gun because of his family or arrogance or messy bedroom we have lost the plot.
Please show a little bit of concern and sensitivity for the Captain of our 2024 team! :mad:

;)

For all our midfield issues we finished ahead of Melbourne, Collingwood and Geelong in terms of clearences per game.

Our midfield's biggest issue was the quality of delivery going forward which, to be perfectly honest, Petracca wouldn't solve.

He isnt an elite kick. He can roost it a mile but his ability to spear the ball to a target streaming out of the goal square is below what most would expect from a #1 pick.

We arent drafting for next year though. We are drafting for 2018 and beyond. Even if we take Petracca we are going to get smashed in the midfield again.

How far do we think Jason Holmes can go this year? hoping for the big fella he gets a crack at NAB Challenge at least!
If he keeps improving, any injuries to the likes of Hickey again & Longer, would have both he & Lewis Pierce right up there for a debut later in the season i'd imagine. Jason, for mine, appears to be the sort of guy who if given a crack of just 1 AFL game, would really use it to know where he needs to get to in order for his AFL dream to become a consistent reality.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Anyone having a draft party or even attending?

Sure. What's your address? ;)

Might have a mate or two over. Got a number of Saints supporters as friends but very few follow the draft as close as we do.

Will be exciting this year having Pick 41. I remember after Pick 19 last year it was like 'oh, well that's done now' barely 5 minutes into the draft. Hopefully nab a decent slider!

image.jpg

Head along to Paige's one... Meet the great Uncle Barrels... Watch him sob into his pint when Reece McKenzie goes elsewhere...

Last edited:
No I am not saying they are viable options but development project forwards. Hickey already plays forward, Longer is developing, Holmes is a long way forward than he was thought to be.

But we have Riewoldt, Lee, White, Membrey plus the development players. We don't need another development player.

As for much better depth in the midfield - lol - just lol. Didn't see many games last season? We were continually beaten out of the centre and that was with Lenny.

We came stone motherless last with an AA as our forward option. Our midfield is by far the worst in the League and just got worse with the retirement of Lenny.

Don't see much depth there at all.

Nowhere did I say that we don't need to improve our midfield, but if you think our forward line in 2018 will be fine with the players we currently have on our list you are delusional.

Longer, Hickey and Holmes are not forwards and none of them have shown any real form up forward (Hickey had 1 game where he got 3 goals but 2 were from bad umpiring calls). Lee has shown potential but his body is an issue. White could be anything but could also be nothing. Membrey is a 3rd tall and is probably competing with Lee for one spot. Roo wont be around for much longer. Add in an unproven Bruce if the club feels like he can make it work and we still are lacking in depth and quality up forward.

Compare that to Monty, Steven, Armo, Ray, Newnes, Dunstan, Weller and Billings as more proven players and add in Eli, Acres, Ross, Saunders, Curren who are all developing. It would seem to me that if you take out both Roo and Monty - they wont be around in 2018 - we currently have better depth and quality in the middle than we do up forward.

Then factor in the relative ease at which mids of all types can be found in drafts and how hard it is to find quality forwards anywhere but at the pointy end of the draft and it further adds weight to us needing a key forward over a mid. Then take into account that mids develop much faster than talls and how expensive it would be to get any quality key forward into the club by trade/FA and the case for taking McCartin only gets stronger.

I think we will take McCartin and then target mids from GWS and/or FA. I would prefer that to taking Petracca this year and then having to pay ridiculous sums of money and draft picks to get a key forward (if we can even find one that wants to play for us). It'll result in a more balanced salary cap and will leave us in virtually the same place on field.

Or maybe he is making the point that people shouldn't freak out about things they know very little about.

supporters freak out about stuff they don't know about all the time. Still it is derisive, and with the track record of our recruiters over the years, it is unwarranted and disrespectful

Nowhere did I say that we don't need to improve our midfield, but if you think our forward line in 2018 will be fine with the players we currently have on our list you are delusional.

Longer, Hickey and Holmes are not forwards and none of them have shown any real form up forward (Hickey had 1 game where he got 3 goals but 2 were from bad umpiring calls). Lee has shown potential but his body is an issue. White could be anything but could also be nothing. Membrey is a 3rd tall and is probably competing with Lee for one spot. Roo wont be around for much longer. Add in an unproven Bruce if the club feels like he can make it work and we still are lacking in depth and quality up forward.

Compare that to Monty, Steven, Armo, Ray, Newnes, Dunstan, Weller and Billings as more proven players and add in Eli, Acres, Ross, Saunders, Curren who are all developing. It would seem to me that if you take out both Roo and Monty - they wont be around in 2018 - we currently have better depth and quality in the middle than we do up forward.

Then factor in the relative ease at which mids of all types can be found in drafts and how hard it is to find quality forwards anywhere but at the pointy end of the draft and it further adds weight to us needing a key forward over a mid. Then take into account that mids develop much faster than talls and how expensive it would be to get any quality key forward into the club by trade/FA and the case for taking McCartin only gets stronger.

I think we will take McCartin and then target mids from GWS and/or FA. I would prefer that to taking Petracca this year and then having to pay ridiculous sums of money and draft picks to get a key forward (if we can even find one that wants to play for us). It'll result in a more balanced salary cap and will leave us in virtually the same place on field.
Pick 1: McCartin - KPF
Pick 21: McKenzie - KPF
Pick 22: McDonald - KPD
Pick 41: McLaren - KPD/KPF

Avg. height: 196.2cm

Sore. Ted.

#McQuaddie

Last edited:
supporters freak out about stuff they don't know about all the time. Still it is derisive, and with the track record of our recruiters over the years, it is unwarranted and disrespectful

I got a similar message from AB when I commented on Twitter at the height of the "Saints are going to take McCartin" meltdown on Monday night.

I didn't view it as disrespectful to fans as it was sent in a Direct Message and was not tweeted out for all to see (and for the same reason I didn’t post it to BF or SS). It was one of those "everyone should just calm down for a moment" type messages.

And I view it as a bloke who's probably a little bit annoyed that so many are in effect questioning the abilities and professionalism of the recruiters. Probably a similar reaction we would have if thousands took to social media suggesting we were incompetent fools in our workplace.

Hopefully we can get him signed up during the year - what you have suggested is like robbing Peter to pay Paul. We need to keep Steven and add to his qualities around the midfield. Otherwise I see him going to Geelong which would suck!

Agree. I would hate to lose Steven. Only mid we have that can win his own ball and then break away from the back with speed. Also really like him resting forward, good defensive pressure, super quick on the lead and knows where the goals are. Even if we get pick 2 compo I would still rather keep him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back