List Mgmt. Welcome to Geelong Nakia Cockatoo - National Draft selection no. 10

Remove this Banner Ad

10441000_767427303293933_2375362234794360345_n.jpg

2014 Draft Combine

NATHAN BUCKLEY KICKING TEST

The test should be conducted on an oval with players wearing football boots.

Each player takes six kicks form various distances and angles. He receives the ball from a caller, who then randomly requests a specific kick (20 metres left or right, 30 metres left or right and 40 metres left or right) be made to a target judge.

The player has 25 seconds to complete the six kicks and is allocated between 1 (for a poor kick) and 5 (excellent) points for each kick.

Kicking test (score out of 30)
Nakia Cockatoo 29
Daniel Howe 28
Kyle Langford 28
Toby McLean 27
Michael Mattingly 27
Nathan Drummond 27
Dean Gore 27
Brett Eddy 27
Clem Smith 26
Liam Duggan 26
Brayden Maynard 26
Jack Steele 26
Ed Vickers-Willis 26
Mitch McGovern 26

Our premiership team was built on a fantastic defense, with fantastic key defenders. We have completely (apart from Kolo) ignored this area in this re-build.

Mids are easier to get than quality key defenders, and we had a once in a long time opportunity to get one and we passed.

I could just as easily make that argument about the midfield. Not to mention Ottens who I think might just have been the most important player we've signed since 2002.

I could just as easily make that argument about the midfield. Not to mention Ottens who I think might just have been the most important player we've signed since 2002.

True (although Bomber stated he built our team from the back half). And you need both a great defense and a great mid. Lately we have drafted for the mid, not for defense.

Right now we do have some young mids (could do with more, but we have a foundation). We don't have a young FB or CHB, an area that has a say in (give or take) 4 goals a game.

What does our backline look like in 2016 if Lonergan retires? and who plays on the best forwards?

I like Cockatoo, but we should have gone a key defender at some point (e.g. McDonald over Gregson).. I won't even go into the Stanley - 21 trade.

True (although Bomber stated he built our team from the back half). And you need both a great defense and a great mid. Lately we have drafted for the mid, not for defense.

Right now we do have some young mids (could do with more, but we have a foundation). We don't have a young FB or CHB, an area that has a say in (give or take) 4 goals a game.

What does our backline look like in 2016 if Lonergan retires? and who plays on the best forwards?

I like Cockatoo, but we should have gone a key defender at some point (e.g. McDonald over Gregson).. I won't even go into the Stanley - 21 trade.
We'll see in 5 years.
Purely from a height perspective (not positional) we have enough.

You could also say that if Bews and Thurlow don't develop, we're stuffed down back for a different reason.

People are talking down his GF day performance saying it was against 17 year olds. In some ways it is a fair point but on the flip side he won Best on Ground playing his first game for the year in a team which also featured Isaac Heeney who is rated as top 3 in this crop as well as Lachie Weller who went pick 13. Additionally to this there was also 6 or so more players in the team who were drafted last night or QLD/NSW zone sections to Brisbane and GWS.

Stocked to have him at the cats. The kid is a jet, love the way he glides across the ground. Looks like a classier version of the highly rated Nathan Freeman who went pick 10 last year to the pies.

I felt similarly prior to the draft but I think we still have a little time on our hands to rectify our future tall back issues.

If you take what we currently have within the club as potential tall backs - Kolojashnij, Blicavs, Walker and Toohey - I even wonder whether Vardy could be now groomed to play as a KPD - then we have a few options, albeit only one, in Kolo, that I have some confidence that has a naturally defensively minded game.

There are still a few guys we could take as tall backs in the rookie draft - Keitel, McLaren and I don't mind Tester as a project key back either (he kept Wright goalless in the U18 Champs). Whilst they don't necessarily have the class of a Durdin or Goddard, one of them may be able to do the job. McDonald is ok but I personally don't see him being miles above some of these other options we could get as rookies.

Now that the dust has settled I really like our crop of draftees this year. I think Wells has drafted certainly based on "best available" but also without ignoring some of our glaring needs (i.e. arrest our massive clearance issues, lack of speed out of the contest, lack of a genuine small, nippy, defensively minded forward).

I do however agree that the development of at least one KPD is now paramount. A decent no.1 ruck should also not be forgotten.

2014 Draft Combine

NATHAN BUCKLEY KICKING TEST

The test should be conducted on an oval with players wearing football boots.

Each player takes six kicks form various distances and angles. He receives the ball from a caller, who then randomly requests a specific kick (20 metres left or right, 30 metres left or right and 40 metres left or right) be made to a target judge.

The player has 25 seconds to complete the six kicks and is allocated between 1 (for a poor kick) and 5 (excellent) points for each kick.

Kicking test (score out of 30)
Nakia Cockatoo 29
Daniel Howe 28
Kyle Langford 28
Toby McLean 27
Michael Mattingly 27
Nathan Drummond 27
Dean Gore 27
Brett Eddy 27
Clem Smith 26
Liam Duggan 26
Brayden Maynard 26
Jack Steele 26
Ed Vickers-Willis 26
Mitch McGovern 26

Was not aware that both of them had polled so well here. Very encouraged by this. I guess Partridge would call this the Hawthorn effect in terms of picking players with elite kicking skills.

Go Catters

I don't get this whole "we need more talls" thing.

We need a midfield that is capable of stopping the ball raining into our defensive 50, and capable of putting it into our attacking 50 instead. Our defence looked weaker in 2014 IMHO primarily because the ball was coming in too often and under too little pressure. The best back line in the world can't stop a rampant Hawthorn or Sydney midfield if they are not under enough pressure from our midfield.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Can definitely see Cockatoo make his debut for us next year! Hopefully between 3-10 games for us depending on how many chances other guys get & how fit the list is during the season.

those stress fractures got to Varcoe later on in his career and effectively finished him off as he became a shadow of the player he was in his early 20's (from an athletic point of view).
Varcoe's shoulders and his unwillingness to attack the ball with any vigor led to his downfall. He became as soft as a pensioners turd as a result.

Varcoe's shoulders and his unwillingness to attack the ball with any vigor, led to his downfall. He became as soft as a pensioners turd as a result.
Thanks for that image SOG...

lol. Was just watching the interview on the Cats site.

It's possible he was nervous.
But I reckon he was just freezing his butt off.
Wait til you get to Geelong sunno! :D

http://www.geelongcats.com.au/news/2014-11-28/an-expensive-cab-fare-worth-every-penny

Great interview. Shame they get so media manufactured so quickly. It's just nice to see the delight on the kids face and genuine excitement and expectation about the road ahead.

Nice to see we've drafted another very likeable kid.

I felt similarly prior to the draft but I think we still have a little time on our hands to rectify our future tall back issues.
:eek:

You've changed man. It is like I don't know you anymore. :p

Looking forward to seeing Cockatoo running around for us next season.

:eek:

You've changed man. It is like I don't know you anymore. :p

Looking forward to seeing Cockatoo running around for us next season.
I have a really good feeling about this kid.

The thing I noticed with all 4 of our draftees is that they all seem to have a lot of time and poise, and you can't teach that.

Don't be surprised if he not only gets significant game time next year, but also acquits himself well.

Really excited to have Nakia but does anyone find it strange that we have had one speed date with the kid in London 6 months ago as our only interview???

This is a multi million dollar industry and this is our most prized asset.?? It contradicts everything we are told about drafting. I found that comment very very odd given the interview Wells did pre draft saying how many times they spoke to draftees and visit their homes/families ect.

Love to know the real story of what happened here.

Really excited to have Nakia but does anyone find it strange that we have had one speed date with the kid in London 6 months ago???

This is a multi million dollar industry and this is our most prized asset.?? It contradicts everything we are told about drafting. I found that comment very very odd given the interview Wells did pre draft saying how many times they spoke to draftees and visit their homes/families ect.

Love to know the real story of what happened here.
Maybe they were trying to throw other clubs off our scent.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back