Mega Thread The Random Thoughts Thread Part 1

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Man, I used to hate those "Back 2 School Sale" ads on TV when I was a kid.
It was like being constantly reminded you only had a few days left to live.
(That might be a little over dramatic, but I stand by it.)

Yep, every day after New Years' may as well have been a visit from the hangman. It was one massive downhill slope to horrible.

Yep, every day after New Years' may as well have been a visit from the hangman. It was one massive downhill slope to horrible.

What are you talking about? January was a whole month spent headin' on down to the ol' swimmin' hole.

Have I missed where Mr. Dingle has gone?
Dingle and Portia disappeared off BF towards the end of December. Concurrently. Nothing to see here.;)

Dingle and Portia disappeared off BF towards the end of December. Concurrently. Nothing to see here.;)

Cocktails-at-Sunset-2_1.jpg

I'm not sure about Michael Clarke's future but Dave Warner and Candice Falzon have a $6.5M mansion? What do they call it, Bogan Heights?

Michael Clarke on collision course
In the lead-up to the Sydney Test, the Australian team enjoyed a barbecue at the luxury South Coogee home of opening batsman Dave Warner.
The six-bedroom, five-bathroom, three-level mansion reportedly cost Warner and his fiancee Candice Falzon $6.5 million last year. It was made famous two years earlier as the set for the UK reality TV show Geordie Shore.
Michael Clarke on collision course

I'm not intending to rehash the vaccination and autism argument but I read an interesting article this morning which covered the concept of relativism. Put very simply, relativism is the idea that "if we don't have a word for it, we tend to forget it, or sometimes not perceive it at all". Here is an excerpt that spiked my interest in light of recent posts here:

The famed neuroscientist Dr. Oliver Sacks (you might know him as Robin Williams’s character in Awakenings) described a poignant example of linguistic or conceptual relativism with regard to schizophrenia. Accounts of the disease prior to the 19th century are rare, and none at all exist in ancient literature (as opposed to “madness,” which was documented, but primarily concerned aimless wandering and spontaneous violence). The broad classification of “madness” persisted well through the 19th century, with schizophrenia identified in the early twentieth, and still considered rare through the middle of the century. When Sacks began practicing in 1965 in New York City, and in particular began studying disorders related to schizophrenia, he was shocked by a gradually increasing awareness that the disease was not nearly as rare as the science of the day claimed—especially among the homeless. Importantly, the clinical assumption that “schizophrenia is rare” was reinforcing the rarity of its diagnosis, to the point of blinding doctors to what was right in front of them. These blooms in diagnosis—we have been for the last ten years experiencing a bloom in autism recognition—have as much to do with clinical perception as they do with the actual physical incidence of the conditions.

... I read an interesting article this morning which covered the concept of relativism ...
Don't forget every druggie up in court after beating someone to death has a defence lawyer going "M'Lord, we have discovered my client has previously undiagnosed autism."

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm not intending to rehash the vaccination and autism argument but I read an interesting article this morning which covered the concept of relativism. Put very simply, relativism is the idea that "if we don't have a word for it, we tend to forget it, or sometimes not perceive it at all". Here is an excerpt that spiked my interest in light of recent posts here:

Classic correlation does not equate to causation.

Last year I randomly blew out my right lung in a pulmonary effusion/pneumonia quinella.

In the hour before I experienced the acute symptoms that forced me to present at Emergency, I drank a coffee = OMG THE NESPRESSO PODS DID IT.

my first tattoo is going to be "vaccinate your children" with a floral boarder. it's hip and has a strong message
Some of the most vehement anti vaxxers HAVE vaccinated their kids. That's where their misunderstanding of the issue comes from..../walks away from the conversation again.

Don't you miss out on some family Benefit cash if you don't vaccinate?
Yes you do, that's why it tends to be a ladies that lunch type of issue.

Anyone here seen American Sniper? Seems to be creating polarising sentiment and has been attributed to a rise in anti-Muslim sentiment. It would no doubt attract the gonzo patriots.

Saw it today. Thought it was a well-crafted fillum. Plays a pretty straight bat.

But I can see how it polarizes. Some of the right-wing nuts' comments on The Hollywood Reporter. Oh boy.

Bradley Cooper gives a knockout performance. Not a big enough punch to put Michael Keaton on the canvas but still. Barely recognized Sienna Miller.

So now I wanna see Clint do Syrian Sniper about Mustafa. Coz I was really interested in his shenanigans. Make a perfect companion piece to Flags & Iwo Jima...

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back