Universal Love Port Adelaide 2015 Bushfire Appeal and Intra-Club Match

Remove this Banner Ad

Trivia question: What year and for how many weeks did Russel Ebert go through a form slump?
1x Free beer at the footy is the prize for the first correct answer.

zero point zero

only costly mistake he ever made was his last game in junk time in a final against South that cost us the game, As a kid I cried for hours and my late father would rib me about it every year, it was the first time I realised even god;) wasn't perfect

Last edited:

I was lucky enough to see Russells career . He was taller than Ollie in fact he started off as a full forward back in the day when drop kicks were still used , I'll never forget him lining up from the forward flank at Alberton , my mate yelled out ' do a droppy Russell , he seemed to hear , changed his grip and proceeded to do a 50 metre drop kick that sailed straight through .
He could do it all , high marks , long kicks , his own hand balls , dodge weave , break through tackles you name it . For the young ones , believe the hype because it was all true .

Yes it might work , still can't see Ollie taking big high flying marks though .
Not putting Ollie down but Russell was outer worldly , his nickname of course was God after all .

I was lucky enough to see Russells career . He was taller than Ollie in fact he started off as a full forward back in the day when drop kicks were still used , I'll never forget him lining up from the forward flank at Alberton , my mate yelled out ' do a droppy Russell , he seemed to hear , changed his grip and proceeded to do a 50 metre drop kick that sailed straight through .
He could do it all , high marks , long kicks , his own hand balls , dodge weave , break through tackles you name it . For the young ones , believe the hype because it was all true .

No he wasnt
Russell according to the best afl stats site was http://afltables.com/afl/stats/players/R/Russell_Ebert.html
Height:183 cm Weight:90 kg - but I reckon he might have been 185cm from other stuff I have read and he has said he was 6'1" and played at 13 1/2 stones

Ollie http://afltables.com/afl/stats/players/O/Ollie_Wines.html
Height:187 cm Weight:94 kg

Player's have gotten a lot taller and bigger over the years. Russell was tall for a centre man in his day.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Trivia question: What year and for how many weeks did Russel Ebert go through a form slump?

Games against Sturt when Robbert Klomp tagged him ... Klomp was about the only bloke who could have an influence on the great man, probably because he was one strong bastard

Games against Sturt when Robbert Klomp tagged him ... Klomp was about the only bloke who could have an influence on the great man, probably because he was one strong bastard

Beat me to it. All the greats had at least one guy that they just couldnt shake - for Russell it was Robert Klomp. Probably because he was as big bodies and as strong as Russell.

He was the best third-man up you could imagine. Could fist the ball round-arm forward to a team-mate waiting 20-30 yards away.

Yes it might work , still can't see Ollie taking big high flying marks though .
Not putting Ollie down but Russell was outer worldly , his nickname of course was God after all .

Wal goes 3rd man up in ruck contests all the time, it wouldn't surprise me if he pulls in a few screamers throughout his career.... Imagine him splitting packs in a marking contest - one thing is for sure, they old well and truly stay split!!!

Wal goes 3rd man up in ruck contests all the time, it wouldn't surprise me if he pulls in a few screamers throughout his career.... Imagine him splitting packs in a marking contest - one thing is for sure, they old well and truly stay split!!!

Who is Wal?

Klomp was strong and quick. Plus he was a Dutchman at Sturt. Can you even imagine the Arrogance Quotient? There's no way he could think he could ever be beaten. :p

(That one is in memory of Toots. He'd get it. ;))

I only remember the latter part of Russell Ebert's career, but have read that in the 70s, Peter Marker matchesd up on him well on some occasions.

I only remember the latter part of Russell Ebert's career, but have read that in the 70s, Peter Marker matchesd up on him well on some occasions.

Peter Marker didn't match up on Russ, from what I know he figured he couldn't curb him so he'd try to hurt him going the other way

Ollie is taller than Russell. Ollie is a deceptively tall 187 cm. Russell went 185 tops.

It's all relative isn't it.

When the endless CHF debates wax and wane, you still get people who bristle when I say Dermott Brereton (186cms) would be a rich man's Aaron Hamill today, whereas the likes of Tredders (194cms) would've been an elite power forward in any era.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back